Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

I've had a lovely day - like properly lovely. We've popped down to my folks place for a week - anyway, my mum went swimming with sprog 3, Mrs K and #2 went into Bristol and ate lots of cake and bought up most of Bristol's considerable vintage clothes industry, and my dad and I chopped down a tree using a chainsaw that my dad designed when he worked at Black & Decker when i was the same age as sprog 3. We then went to a pub for lunch (beef baguettes with chips, lemonade for me and 4 pints of Butcombe for my dad...😬) where we reminisced, and slagged off my cousin and his awful wife.

We've made tandoori chicken with saffron rice, naan breads, poppadoms and yoghurt for tea.

On a more jovial note, we'll celebrate by my parents not being dragged out onto the street with their hands tied behind their backs, shot, and left in the road, by my wife not being raped by a dozen Russian soldiers and then stabbed with bayonets, and my terrified children not being deported and sold, beaten if they speak English, and probably end up being trafficked as sex slaves.

But, you know, both sides...
I notice you did not condemn the Ukranian fascists...makes you think 🤔

It’s only personal abuse when it’s aimed at the Pro Ukraine Pro NATO types. The last couple of pages we have had a pro war poster calling people cunts, fuckwits etc. All reported. Nothing done as per usual by the mods team.
What say you mods? Why no action?
editor Lazy Llama FridgeMagnet ?

Err, a quick search shows a warning was issued for using the word 'cunts', so perhaps you would like to apologise to the mods?

I've had a lovely day - like properly lovely. We've popped down to my folks place for a week - anyway, my mum went swimming with sprog 3, Mrs K and #2 went into Bristol and ate lots of cake and bought up most of Bristol's considerable vintage clothes industry, and my dad and I chopped down a tree using a chainsaw that my dad designed when he worked at Black & Decker when i was the same age as sprog 3. We then went to a pub for lunch (beef baguettes with chips, lemonade for me and 4 pints of Butcombe for my dad...😬) where we reminisced, and slagged off my cousin and his awful wife.

We've made tandoori chicken with saffron rice, naan breads, poppadoms and yoghurt for tea.

On a more jovial note, we'll celebrate by my parents not being dragged out onto the street with their hands tied behind their backs, shot, and left in the road, by my wife not being raped by a dozen Russian soldiers and then stabbed with bayonets, and my terrified children not being deported and sold, beaten if they speak English, and probably end up being trafficked as sex slaves.

But, you know, both sides...
Happy NATO day x

Did we have this on the thread?

Scroll down to the transcript, he's basically telling it like it is
Putin's not offering "peace for land" though, unless you mean all of it.

The actual official list, which afaik has not changed in the last year or so, has been:
  • Recognise the annexations
  • Write neutrality into the constitution (no NATO or EU membership)
  • 'De-Nazification' (presumably meaning removal of the government and replacement with a pro-Russian one. Exactly how is unclear - appointed governor? Political purge? Adminstrative occupation?)
  • Demilitarisation (aka "we'll be back later")
With a side of "both sides of the river are Russia" from Medvedev. All of which is so blatantly setting up a process of complete annexation that you might as well chisel it into the bricks of the Verkhovna Rada.

Like I don't mind if people want to argue the case that complete annexation is an acceptable price for peace. But argue the merits of what's actually being offered, rather than presenting a scenario that's not on the table.

Last edited:
Putin's not offering "peace for land" though, unless you mean all of it.

The actual official list, which afaik has not changed in the last year or so, has been:
  • Recognise the annexations
  • Write neutrality into the constitution (no NATO or EU membership)
  • 'De-Nazification' (presumably meaning removal of the government and replacement with a pro-Russian one. Exactly how is unclear - appointed governor? Political purge? Adminstrative occupation?)
  • Demilitarisation (aka "we'll be back later")
With a side of "both sides of the river are Russia" from Medvedev. All of which is so blatantly setting up a process of complete annexation that you might as well chisel it into the bricks of the Verkhovna Rada.

Like I don't mind if people want to argue the case that complete annexation is an acceptable price for peace. But argue the merits of what's actually being offered, rather than presenting a scenario that's not on the table.
dunno where i read it but i got it in my mind they weren't so bothered about eu membership.
im not sure the russians would settle for the rest of the list now, even if ukraine conceded every point.

Did we have this on the thread?

Scroll down to the transcript, he's basically telling it like it is

If my survey of one Ukrainian is anything to go by, he and everyone he knows is getting thoroughly fucked off with people such as this general trying to dictate to them that they should give up their country to a bunch of savage, fascist invaders. They are kind of resigned to the fact that US funding is slowing down and may stop if the orange fool is re-elected, NATO's latest garbage about money over 5 years, the EU and UK dithering. He says they are grateful for everything so far, but are not prepared to listen to people who are withdrawing help telling them how to conduct their business. He is confident Ukraine will prevail in one form or another, the alternative is no Ukraine.

Case in point; the oil refineries in Russia that keep exploding, this is happening as western sanctions are having fuck all effect as Russia is still flogging just as much oil as before, and it is still their #1 earner. So they are taking out the refineries, enforcing their own sanctions. The US has asked them to stop in case it increases the global cost of oil, demonstrating how much the US really cares. So they will not listen to the US or anyone else, they have their plan and feel it is working. Sadly it will cost many 1000's more lives on both sides.

This one guy is my IT supplier/fixer, before coming to the UK 15 years ago he worked for Ukraine's equivalent of GCHQ, February 2022 he disappeared for 4 months, won't say why.

There's an article on RTP ( The Portuguese BBC) website today about the experience of Nepalese using human traffickers to take up Russia's offer of citizenship and salary for joining the army. The Nepalese government estimated 200 have gone but other sources say thousands. The traffickers are charging around 8k euros and the army pay is between 2,800-3,700 euros in contrast the average per capita income in Nepal is around 900 euros.

As to be expected returnees are saying that the training isn't what was promised, they are sent to fight quickly rather than gain any experience and they are often sent to the front of any attacks.

Vladimir Vladimirovich's Own Gurkha Rifles

Macron is whiny about Russian official telling him French troops would attract action against France.

• President Emmanuel Macron has condemned Russia’s “threatening” tone following rare phone talks between the French and Russian defence ministersthat only served to underline the gaping gulf between Moscow and Europe two years into the invasion of Ukraine. The hour-long phone call took place as France is pulling out all the stops to host the Olympic Games in Paris this summer.”

Anyway if this thread is still going this time next year I might do a NATO quiz so that we can all celebrate NATO's 76th birthday together in a more fun way rather than us just individually breathing a sigh of relief that we haven't been invaded by Russia for 76 years.

In the meantime a here's NATO's first cookbook, 'The Best of Taste': which was published in 1957.

You cant “keep the Soviet Union out, the Americans in, and the Germans down.” on an empty stomach.

1712311637213.png

Anyway if this thread is still going this time next year I might do a NATO quiz so that we can all celebrate NATO's 76th birthday together in a more fun way rather than us just individually breathing a sigh of relief that we haven't been invaded by Russia for 76 years.

In the meantime a here's NATO's first cookbook, 'The Best of Taste': which was published in 1957.

You cant “keep the Soviet Union out, the Americans in, and the Germans down.” on an empty stomach.

View attachment 418663

They have a hymn too. A NATO hymn. Spent all day humming the hymn myself.

Back
Top Bottom