Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

A little more on the USA leaked documents. The prosecution in opposing bail are citing that he could release further documents, which raises the possibility that Texeira has access to more unreleased documents or could be just a suggestion in order to keep him in custody. The prosecution allege that 'he began to access hundreds of classified documents containing national defense information.'

Other evidence submitted includes the fact that Texeria was initially denied a gun licence due to an incident where he was 'suspended when a classmate overheard him make remarks about weapons, including Molotov cocktails, guns at the school, and racial threats. ' Eventually, he cited his position of trust in the armed forces to obtain a weapons license.

'The Defendant kept his gun locker approximately two feet from his bed. See Attachment G, (Search photos of Defendant’s room). In the gun locker were multiple weapons, including handguns, bolt-action rifles, shotguns, an AK-style high-capacity weapon, and a gas mask. FBI special agents also found ammunition and tactical pouches on his dresser and what appeared to be a silencer-style accessory in his desk drawer.'

The prosecution are also citing extracts from a trawl on social media :

• In November 2022, the Defendant stated that if he had his way, he would “kill a [expletive] ton of people” because it would be “culling the weak minded.”
• In February 2023, the Defendant told a user that he was tempted to make a specific type of minivan into an “assassination van.”
• Also in February 2023, the Defendant sought advice from another user about what type of rifle would be easy to operate from the back of an SUV. He describes how he would conduct the shooting in a “crowded urban or suburban environment.”
• In March 2023, the Defendant described SUVs and crossovers as “mobile gun trucks” and “[o]ff-road and good assassination vehicles.”

Obviously, these allegations, whilst worrying, shouldn't affect posters' views of the US military 'to be slightly more left than the actual US' and having less gun nuts ,

Obviously, these allegations, whilst worrying, shouldn't affect posters' views of the US military 'to be slightly more left than the actual US' and having less gun nuts ,

It's not that ridiculous tbh... There aren't that many routes into higher education that don't leave you with staggering amounts of debt there, and I would guess military funding is the most accessible. Clearly it also has it's fair share of absolute cunts, but, well, so does the US in general. Being more left wing on average than the actual US is... not necessarily saying much.

Teixeira sounds like a narrowly avoided mass shooting, glad he was caught for the docs.

I'm not gonna say they're all great people - they train to kill for a living. But dude is a reservist, and even in the UK the reservists are way more messed up than the actual day job soliders.

I'm using my brother in Christ at the moment - recent others have been Bro, Bruv, Bruh, and yes, Dude/my Dudes....

fellowkids.jpg

Now, this is an interesting read about Ukraine's air defences, and explaining how they are being so successful, shooting down around 96-98% of Russian missiles, using what is described as 'Onion rings' defence - a layered air defence system that is like a series of onion rings of air defence capability.

"It's probably one of the factors that has stopped the Russians using their fixed wing aircraft over Ukrainian territory," he added.

"The Russians have largely restricted themselves to flying no further forward than their own frontlines.

"Now if the Ukrainians can move air defence capability further forward to their frontlines and put that bubble over their frontline troops that will then push Russian fixed-wing air and rotary-wing air back even further and help the Ukrainians in any counterattack that they're putting together."

Doesn't quite work like that... it's a 60 year old design spanning 7 main generations. Ukraine has a mixed bag... I think mostly from the 80s (this is just off wiki). The 18 the US donated are the previous generation (produced until 2015), so presumably pretty modern, but of course we don't know which have been damaged/destroyed. With much of the kit donated to Ukraine, there is an element of just cycling out stuff that would otherwise sit in storage, though that may be less true of tracked artillery than it is of e.g the ludicrous numbers of M113 APCs sent.
The US is actually saving money with some of the things they are sending - items in storage with no likely further use and nearly-expired munitions. This kit can be very expensive to decommission and scrap, much more than the cost of shipping it out to Ukraine where it can be used as intended. It’s sunk cost, not like they are cutting school funding or whatever to pay for it.

Governments also tend to quote the ‘as new’ cost to inflate the value of donations, looks good in the international willy-waving contest if you can claim the latest ‘package’ is worth two billion, when the actual cost is significantly less.

Methods of male greeting are getting more complicated. It used to be a handshake. Now it's that weird handgrasp/chest bump combo. If anyone offers me a fist bump I make a point of grasping the proffered fist and shaking it up and down like a handshake.
I'm using my brother in Christ at the moment - recent others have been Bro, Bruv, Bruh, and yes, Dude/my Dudes....

Back
Top Bottom