Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Have a pinch of salt ready, but this sort of thing wouldn't surprise me, surely there must be an ever increasing number of Russian officials waking up to the fact the war is not going well, and it's pointless continuing with it?

Have a pinch of salt ready, but this sort of thing wouldn't surprise me, surely there must be an ever increasing number of Russian officials waking up to the fact the war is not going well, and it's pointless continuing with it?

They use the term “likely” several times. Are these reports based on much?

They use the term “likely” several times. Are these reports based on much?

Hence me starting my post with 'Have a pinch of salt ready, but this sort of thing wouldn't surprise me...'

Surely even you can't be surprised by the idea that Russian officials are probably waking up to the shit they are in?

I would imagine the oligarchs are really starting to miss their nice houses and yachts too. My one* and his wife spent 100s of millions on houses and boats. Everything that could be was bespoke to their exact wishes, the boat is now gone forever and the houses are gathering dust. He's just one of many, there must be some internal pressure building.

*I worked on his house for quite some time. paid my mortgage for years, along with many others.

The situation in orcupied Mariupol:

A year after Russia’s takeover there were few signs of Ukrainian partisan activity, residents acknowledged. “I have not come across it. People are arrested and tortured and taken away,” one current resident said. Leaving the city was only possible via Russia – an expensive and risky journey. Russia’s FSB spy agency screened anyone who tried to exit, checking phones for signs of pro-Ukrainian activity.

“If they discover anything they will keep you. It’s not unusual for the FSB to interrogate people for eight, 10, even 16 hours,” one resident said.

The situation in orcupied Mariupol:

A year after Russia’s takeover there were few signs of Ukrainian partisan activity, residents acknowledged. “I have not come across it. People are arrested and tortured and taken away,” one current resident said. Leaving the city was only possible via Russia – an expensive and risky journey. Russia’s FSB spy agency screened anyone who tried to exit, checking phones for signs of pro-Ukrainian activity.

“If they discover anything they will keep you. It’s not unusual for the FSB to interrogate people for eight, 10, even 16 hours,” one resident said.

Left me wondering what an upbeat version of the USSR would be like

Just re reading Spike Milligan’s war memoirs. ( something always worth doing) he mentions that a 7.2 inch shell cost £40 - which is £2300 in todays money.

Is that about right for the cost today, for the shells we are sending by the pallet load? Seems like that would be in the right ball park?

Last edited:
But this Institute of War briefings. None for Yemen? Never any for Afghanistan? None for Iraq? Are they a new organisation?

This seems more like a post-war activity. The only place Ukrainian F-16 crews could be trained right now is in the US as the European operators either rely on the US for type conversion of have closed their F-16 training pipelines completely.

Establishing a new F-16 conversion unit would take years whether it's in the UK or anywhere else. Apart from the aircraft; the syllabus, simulators and instructors all have to be generated.

The reason F-16 keeps getting wanked off over by Ukraine is that they are severely outgunned in the BVR arena by the Su-35/Adder combo. F-16/AIM-120 would bring them close to parity.

...the article doesn't mentions it but US computer explicitly has said No to the ridiculously named "coalition of jets"
These posts aged well.

The F-16 training is to be conducted in Europe and will likely begin in the coming weeks. But Biden told the leaders that decisions on when, how many, and who will provide the fourth-generation fighter jets for Ukraine to use in battle will be made in the months ahead while the training is underway.

These posts aged well.

The F-16 training is to be conducted in Europe and will likely begin in the coming weeks. But Biden told the leaders that decisions on when, how many, and who will provide the fourth-generation fighter jets for Ukraine to use in battle will be made in the months ahead while the training is underway.
we will see how well this post ages in "the coming months".

Back
Top Bottom