Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Canary, views and discussion...

Well the NUJ earlier today cancelled the talk with Mendoza, prompting the inevitable howling of establishment media, silencing of BAME voices, boycott the guardian etc

no mention of Buzzfeed having to retract it's original accusations vs Canary / Blumenthal though :

"BuzzFeed News acknowledges that Max Blumenthal neither doxxed anybody nor threatened violence and did not intend to imply beyond the reported facts that there was any indication that Carl David Goette-Luciak was deported as a result of Blumenthal's article"

(though won't pretend to think Blumenthal's article was anything but v one sided 'perspective on the oppo to Ortega, with zero reference to the rapid change in nature of his govt after 2006.)

Last edited:
Daddy's cash to the rescue again.
guardian said:
After publication of this article a lawyer for Blumenthal contacted the Guardian to emphasise there was nothing to suggest his reporting contributed to the deportation of Goette-Luciak.

That is really useful
The bit in there about him abusing his step-daughter hasn't even made a ripple with these people. Her 1998 testimony is here in Spanish.

Of course legal recourse is one of his speciality reactions to criticisms of his actions and views. Remember him getting his/daddies strong arm lawyer to take down the Alexander Reid Ross piece about him and his red-brown mates. And the publishers folded. If the people he goes around day after day slandering and smearing and actually helping put in danger had the same privileged access to these responses he would be in serious trouble. Legal trouble that is, not the moral trouble that he's already in.

Anyone bothered posting that about Woolford/Topple on the Canary's FB page or Twitter? Any response?

Someone was telling me the other day The Canary have gone to a model that takes more advertising money now. Dunno how true it is, can't bring myself to check their website.

I spend more time on twitter now and even though I tend to keep away from politics on there, I keep getting Mendoza/Canary stuff all over the timeline ("they" are always trying to silence her, apparently) What's the score with them these days? Any improvement from when this thread was active?

Also does anyone know about Double Down News? I watched this video by them and I'd not heard of them before. Seems like more of the same at first glance. *eta they seem more professional

Of course legal recourse is one of his speciality reactions to criticisms of his actions and views. Remember him getting his/daddies strong arm lawyer to take down the Alexander Reid Ross piece about him and his red-brown mates. And the publishers folded. If the people he goes around day after day slandering and smearing and actually helping put in danger had the same privileged access to these responses he would be in serious trouble. Legal trouble that is, not the moral trouble that he's already in.

you were advocating Blumenthal on his pieces about right-wing Israeli’s back in 2014. Were you not?

Or was that you applying broken clock theory?

I spend more time on twitter now and even though I tend to keep away from politics on there, I keep getting Mendoza/Canary stuff all over the timeline ("they" are always trying to silence her, apparently) What's the score with them these days? Any improvement from when this thread was active?

Also does anyone know about Double Down News? I watched this video by them and I'd not heard of them before. Seems like more of the same at first glance. *eta they seem more professional
What do you actually want from these guys? They aren't writing informative news piece if that's what you're after.

What do you actually want from these guys? They aren't writing informative news piece if that's what you're after.

bit of a PTS letting off of steam maybe, they managed to fool a few of us for sometime with their ‘sympathetic’ articles

Yes I'm gonna bring the thread back, whatya gonna do about it? Anyway it's a good Canary-related update, this:

Official statement:
"Following the departure of a former director earlier in the year, we were disgusted to discover the dramatically different terms and conditions directors were on compared to staff members. As we gained access to previously restricted systems, we discovered a litany of mismanagement and breaches of companies' law that we are now working to fix. This includes tens of thousands of pounds in unpaid VAT.

"We were also sickened to discover that, despite external and internal communications claiming that The Canary had an equitable structure, the reality was very different. For example, staff members received either statutory sick pay or 65% sick pay at various times, while directors received unlimited, unlogged, full sick pay, as well as unlimited, unlogged holiday. They utilised tax reduction mechanisms to pay themselves more than workers."

Back
Top Bottom