Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Canary, views and discussion...

Iain Dull:
34. (New) Kerry-Anne Mendoza Editor in Chief, The Canary If anything can be described as Alt-Left it is The Canary, which has a distant relationship to factual reporting, even though it describes itself as a news site. In fact, it is no more than a Corbynista propaganda site, but has been hugely successful in attracting clicks. Kerry-Anne Mendoza is its public face and is in much demand in the hated MSM.

The 100 Most Influential People On The Left: Iain Dale's 2017 List - LBC

:thumbs:

I think the original piece is just shitly researched, unchecked news rather than fake. The cicling of the wagons since has been embarrassing though.
See also: "Traingate" and the outrage over someone publishing CCTV footage of Corbyn walking past empty seats, which resulted in the promotion of logic which is generally associated with 9/11 Truthers - and I say this as someone who is supportive of Corbyn.

Getting things wrong is a great way to get attention. More clicks from this than for an accurate article...
That's clickbait in a nutshell. The problem is that even "respected" news outlets, such as the Guardian, Independent, and even the BBC are going down this path.

The Squawkbox (very similar to the Canary) believe that there is a sinister conspiracy of psychics at the BBC trying to save Teresa May from embarrassment:

Note the appeal for funds afterwards.

Marvelous stuff today (from both the BBC and the Canary) - paid assadist goon who is on the board of a company set up by assad's father in law and with the brother of the head of assad's chemical weapons program shouting there is no evidence of any attack whatsoever and anyway the rebels did it.

Is there any actual writing in this 'paper' or is it just watching some TV then saying So and so just did this!!

I think it's far to say the BBC's 'doctrine' of balance has slightly overshot itself as well with the appearance of this washed up old scrote. I don't mean this BBC scotland appearance but the one on BBC Breakfast earlier.

Marvelous stuff today (from both the BBC and the Canary) - paid assadist goon who is on the board of a company set up by assad's father in law and with the brother of the head of assad's chemical weapons program shouting there is no evidence of any attack whatsoever and anyway the rebels did it.

Is there any actual writing in this 'paper' or is it just watching some TV then saying So and so just did this!!

I think it's far to say the BBC's 'doctrine' of balance has slightly overshot itself as well with the appearance of this washed up old scrote. I don't mean this BBC scotland appearance but the one on BBC Breakfast earlier.

I was waiting for the quality reporting of The Canary to come out with something similar. Fucking political abomination of a publication.

I guess when you're looking for guests who'll take Assad's side the gene pool is very shallow.

Is that the British Syrian Society?

It’s just click bait without content. You hit the nail on the head Butchers with ‘something I saw on TV’ but then again even that kind of journalism can be done well. They’re mostly dishonest.

kerry anne mendoza loon 2.jpg

:confused:

A sizeable percentage of their content is just shouty rewording of stories from the msm incl the the guardian so this is an improbable scenario. Mendoza is possibly counting on having her invitation to appear at the NUJ/Guardian do rescinded so she can play the martyr.

Last edited:
"no previous journalistic experience " - they're supposed to be based on on their crap being done by people with "no previous journalistic experience".

So maxy is attacking the canary even as he gets 15p for them reprinting his guff.

Are you fucking joking ? I thought that you'd finally caught up with all beeley/assad shit and it wouldn't need going over and over and over. You ain't selling labour membership to me with this.

Are you fucking joking ? I thought that you'd finally caught up with all beeley/assad shit and it wouldn't need going over and over and over. You ain't selling labour membership to me with this.

easy tiger ...should have expressed more fully ..." what's the issue with this Nicaragua vs US imperialism piece , regardless of the author's shortcoming on other subjects... ?"

( will get on and actually read it now)

easy tiger ...should have expressed more fully ..." what's the issue with this Nicaragua vs US imperialism piece , regardless of the author's shortcoming on other subjects... ?"

( will get on and actually read it now)

The characterisation of the MRS as reactionary, as counter revolutionary, is partial. Simplistic. Knee jerk. These situations, histories are never clear cut either/ors. The MRS were the (mostly loyal) left wing of the broader Sandinista movement. They formed to pressure the FSLN back towards emancipatory politics - the 'reform' in the name means towards the founding revolutionary marxism, not towards liberalism. The people he's naming & denouncing here are activists, guerrillas, revolutionaries of serious pedigree. Dora Maria Tellez was a war hero, the notorious/legendary Commandante Dos. Herty was the massively popular (& populist) mayor of Managua, with a colourful reputation for vanity projects & anti-corruption purges - he ran for president on a ticket with Carlos Mejía Godoy, the voice of Nica revolutionary folk music. He was wide, a caudillo, but he was no US asset.

Dismissing these people, & their righteous anger towards Ortega's inner circle, as US lackeys is clumsy. Were reactionary elements behind the initial protests? Explicitly, yes. Is the Big Hand stirring the pot? No doubt. As it has for decades. But it's not free market advocates getting gunned down on roundabouts - it's working class citizens in former revolutionary towns - & as far as I can tell from a distance, it's those at the sharp end of the government crackdown on dissent that are being supported & defended by the MRS from an increasingly isolated & aggressive Ortegista security apparatus.

The characterisation of the MRS as reactionary, as counter revolutionary, is partial. Simplistic. Knee jerk. These situations, histories are never clear cut either/ors. The MRS were the (mostly loyal) left wing of the broader Sandinista movement. They formed to pressure the FSLN back towards emancipatory politics - the 'reform' in the name means towards the founding revolutionary marxism, not towards liberalism. The people he's naming & denouncing here are activists, guerrillas, revolutionaries of serious pedigree. Dora Maria Tellez was a war hero, the notorious/legendary Commandante Dos. Herty was the massively popular (& populist) mayor of Managua, with a colourful reputation for vanity projects & anti-corruption purges - he ran for president on a ticket with Carlos Mejía Godoy, the voice of Nica revolutionary folk music. He was wide, a caudillo, but he was no US asset.

Dismissing these people, & their righteous anger towards Ortega's inner circle, as US lackeys is clumsy. Were reactionary elements behind the initial protests? Explicitly, yes. Is the Big Hand stirring the pot? No doubt. As it has for decades. But it's not free market advocates getting gunned down on roundabouts - it's working class citizens in former revolutionary towns - & as far as I can tell from a distance, it's those at the sharp end of the government crackdown on dissent that are being supported & defended by the MRS from an increasingly isolated & aggressive Ortegista security apparatus.

v useful - ta !

It's been mentioned in passing on a recent thread ("BBC has moved beyond bias, into pure propaganda") and I'm interested to hear what people know and think about it.

My opinion... I've only come across it very recently, and leaving aside its slightly incoherent politics (mainly enriching democracy from what I can gather in its blurb) it does seem to have a very dubious business model that seems to result in tabloid style headlines that bear little relationship to the actual content of the article.

For those of you that haven't seen it, and to save you wading through pages of news about the weather in The Canary Isles, here you go The Canary

Clickbait crap.

Well the NUJ earlier today cancelled the talk with Mendoza, prompting the inevitable howling of establishment media, silencing of BAME voices, boycott the guardian etc

Attachments

• 16A198F8-5CC2-48FF-8892-73C560B52403.jpeg
    16A198F8-5CC2-48FF-8892-73C560B52403.jpeg
    631 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom