Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2017-18

Indeed he got two centuries and one 50 in 9 innings the rest of his scoring was a bit meh, and the Aussies lost the Ashes when some had them as favourites to win beforehand. He looked ok then but not almost invincible as he has been in this series. It will be interesting to see how he adapts for the next Ashes...

Smiths Ashes 2015 scores...
33(56), 33(49) - Lost
215(346), 58(48) - Won
7(18), 8(27) - Lost
6(3), 5(9) - Lost (England regain Ashes)
143(252) - Won (dead rubber)

Just the 508 runs from 9 completed innings then.

You're weird Paolo.

So averaging 56 against England in England then? Not quite the same as this series where I think he’s averaging over 100, but still. Not bad.

Just the 508 runs from 9 completed innings then.

So averaging 56 against England in England then? Not quite the same as this series where I think he’s averaging over 100, but still. Not bad.
Indeed as I acknowledged earlier he's a very good player, currently seen as the best, and his average is better away from home than any of the "fantastic four" current top batsmen. Kohli for example looked mostly rubbish when India toured here. In the Ashes Smith failed at the business end of the tour where the Ashes was lost failing to even reach double figures at the time when his team would have needed him most.

When he can lead his team to an Ashes win away from home with some big series winning performances he'd get an upgrade from very good to legendary.

Smith is like Amla or Graham Smith. One of those awkward batsmen who have an approach that no one knows how to bowl to for a couple of years.

It must really get on boycotts tits to see a batsman walk across his stumps virtually every ball and still be a better batsman than himself. That alone makes me love smith. He’s also a far superior captain to Root who is a fine batsman but completely lacking in imagination or instinct in the field.

For fucks sake...YJB gone but shouldn’t bloody be there..

Root v New ball...one cracking four; one streaky four; then didn’t roll his wrists enough and chipped one to square leg

Why did Bairstow come out for 15 balls at the end of the day?

Aussie day after England on top for most of it...

This pretty much sums it up...

upload_2018-1-4_11-31-22.png
...if Dawid and Moeen can get the score close to 400, England might be a good position to put the Aussies under pressure.

Paolo what has continuously not converting 50s to 100s got to do with winning key moments? What about not chipping balls to catching positions that shouldn’t be catching positions in tests? What about not pushing too hard at good balls that could be left or played lightly? What about playing beautifully until wafting unnecessarily when on 25? What about taking no wickets with spin? What about two of your ‘best’ bowlers averaging nearer to 50 than 25?

What key moments?

If “key moments” refer to the points at which you take a wicket, then all winning test teams by definition win the “key moments”. Cricket matches are basically a handful of “key moments” punctuating a lot of hanging around.

If “key moments” refer to the points at which you take a wicket, then all winning test teams by definition win the “key moments”. Cricket matches are basically a handful of “key moments” punctuating a lot of hanging around.
And sandwiches... Don't forget the sandwiches

Root was lucky not to be out before the catch when he should have been run out. There were two dropped catches off Lyon in the last hour or so of play too (not sure whether it was Malan or Root batting). Starting late meant an extra half hour so the new ball was taken when long shadows darkened most of the pitch - not easy batting conditions.

Paolo what has continuously not converting 50s to 100s got to do with winning key moments? What about not chipping balls to catching positions that shouldn’t be catching positions in tests? What about not pushing too hard at good balls that could be left or played lightly? What about playing beautifully until wafting unnecessarily when on 25? What about taking no wickets with spin? What about two of your ‘best’ bowlers averaging nearer to 50 than 25?

What key moments?
It's delusional to think this series has been close, but it is different from four years ago. Every match so far has gone to the final day, and England started the final days of two of them with an outside chance of victory. They've topped 400 in the first innings twice, and may still do so again here.

The vibe last time was one of end-of-days calamity. Interesting comparison in the records of Stoneman and Carberry in Aus. Very similar in runs scored and averages, if not balls faced - lots of starts, nothing beyond 60 - yet Carberry was axed last time and Stoneman looks set to continue. Carberry was ultimately a victim of the poor performances of everyone else, particularly Cook. I still think Vince is worth persevering with, at least through New Zealand.

Root was lucky not to be out before the catch when he should have been run out. There were two dropped catches off Lyon in the last hour or so of play too (not sure whether it was Malan or Root batting). Starting late meant an extra half hour so the new ball was taken when long shadows darkened most of the pitch - not easy batting conditions.
Yeah, but when you're dropped, that's the time to cash in, surely. Cook was dropped in Melbourne on 60-odd.

Because in most other sides he would be a nightwatchman?

edit: in response to cerebrus' enquiry about bairstow
Nearly 3000 runs at 40. Only Cook and Root have scored more runs or have a higher average.

Only thing I can think of for the n/watchman is that Bairstow said he didn't want one. Not sure it should be his decision though.

So it appears it was Bairstow who decided not to have a nightwatchman. Cricket isn't football, but this level of player control seems amateurish to me. There should be a correct answer regarding use of a nwm according to the need to get in twice against once and the increased likelihood of getting out because of it. And then that should be that - no, you're not going in now, and no it's not your decision, any more than it's a player's decision in football when they're substituted.

Woke up to news of yet another masterclass from Smith.

NZ has just whitewashed the windies in all forms and currently have the number one batsman and bowler in the world (in t20) so that's not going to be a walk in the park either for a thoroughly demoralized England side. I'd be doing a Swann if I was in that squad.

Munro, Sodhi and New Zealand top T20I rankings

On Radio 5 Live Fighting talk today...

Colin Murray: "Time has been called on the 2017/18 Ashes and fans of England go back to the usual sleep patterns, those that bothered to watch through all 5, I want your one line summary of the Ashes which was torture overnight again..."

Martin Kelner: "...I signed up to BT Broadband for THIS?" :(

Iain Stirling: "I don't understand cricket, and apparently neither do England."

Caroline Barker: "In the style of Peggie Mitchell...GET OUTTA MY PUB!"

Gary O'Reilly: "...a complete waste of time. They got it wrong on the pitch, they got it wrong off the pitch and getting out on the last ball of the day you've wasted your time and ours."

Back
Top Bottom