Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2019

Trescothick, Strauss and Cook have probably been the only settled English openers in the past 18 years.
Burns has set himself up to step into that role.
I think that Labuschagne, Burns and Archer are very likely to be major test players in the next decade who "arrived" this series.

Smith has had one of the greatest series by a batsman ever.
Broad has made me eat my own words. What Australians call a battler or a champion. Stood up tall when the going got tough.
Cummins and Hazelwood have been fantastic.

I am going to miss this series.

This is the first Ashes post Cook (and then, without Jimmy..).

If it wasn't for the world cup giving us all a bit of belief, who here wasn't looking forward to watching this Ashes test through their fingers?
Honestly, even before the WC, I was hoping for a series win. Aus felt like they were there for the taking, and tbh they were. Unfortunately so were England. I reckon Aus fans probably think they should have won as well, and are equally lamenting the performances of half their batting line up. Weird series. Great drama, but two highly flawed teams.

Warner ensured that he became the first opening batsman in any Test series ever, to be out for eight single digit scores.

The former Australian vice-captain has been dismissed seven times by Stuart Broad this series, including for three successive ducks; prior to this Test, he had tallied just 95 runs at an average of just 9.5; which is the lowest ever by an opener batting ten innings in a series..

David Warner sets new unwanted record with his latest Ashes innings

The fact these two records are now held by probably the biggest arsehole ever to set foot on a crease is one of the highlights of my year :D

EEgC-a5XkAAQHpK.jpg:large

I've no idea what the story is about, I don't need to know, and other sources to their credit aren't giving any clues.

31 years ago is before Ben Stokes was even born. If he wasn't the big star of today The Scum wouldn't be interested.

I won't touch that paper or click on its website. If you go to Liverpool you won't see a copy for sale anywhere, not even WH Smith at Lime Street station. I'd like the entire country to take that approach.

I’ve not seen it and it sounds like I’m happiest that way, frankly. Whatever the story is, I’m not interested to know.
I know what you mean. I did weigh up posting anything at all, and the opp to just re-inforce what scum they are without posting the content won.

Jimmy. Stop taking their money.

I’ve not seen it and it sounds like I’m happiest that way, frankly. Whatever the story is, I’m not interested to know.

Having peeked under the corner of it I can confirm that you don't want to know :(

The scum's version of it is of course inaccurate anyway.

It appears someone has finally crawled out from under a stone to tell the BBC they contacted Stokes beforehand to advise him of their intention to run the story, as if that makes it alright. If anything that makes it worse as they must have realised how angry and upset he would be.

Central contracts for the upcoming year are announced (starting in October).

Test and ODI/T20 contracts: Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Test contracts: James Anderson (Lancashire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Sam Curran (Surrey),

ODI/T20 contracts: Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Joe Denly (Kent), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Mark Wood (Durham).

Don't know how much you can read into these things with regard to future selection, particularly as the new coach hasn't started his job. Could be a sign that Bairstow will prevail as keeper in tests, Buttler hangs on, Archer quite rightly gets a contract for all formats, Denly gets a white ball contract (?!), Plunkett having helped win the world cup gets the thanks and piss off treatment. Morgan also has a white ball contract so won't be retiring.

Looking at some of the names on that list of contracts makes me wonder whether there's a minimum quota that must be awarded in order to justify future funding. Woakes, Curran and Ali have all been omitted since the Ireland Test, while Denly only seems to be a bits and pieces player who offers a sixth bowling option for the one day side.

Back
Top Bottom