Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2021/22

Deemed the appropriate colour to use in light and dark conditions.
Traditional red ball difficult to pick up under floodlights.
White ball - clashes with players kits.
I know that. I'm questioning the wisdom of playing day-night test matches. It doesn't work. It's a lottery.

It's Hobart's first and probably last Ashes test. Surely people would have come anyway even if they'd been expected to turn up in the morning.

I know that. I'm questioning the wisdom of playing day-night test matches. It doesn't work. It's a lottery.

It's Hobart's first and probably last Ashes test. Surely people would have come anyway.

Attendances are much higher at a day night test apparently (and no doubt beer sales are higher too). Can't blame the local association for wanting to do that.

It's Hobart's first and probably last Ashes test. Surely people would have come anyway even if they'd been expected to turn up in the morning.

It’s not to do with he crowd but the TV audience, allegedly.

In decades of watching test cricket I still don't the point of a nightwatchman
A batter is more likely to get out in their first fifteen or twenty balls or so than they are after that - 'getting in'. So you send in a nightwatchman so that a top order batter doesn't have to get in twice - once in the evening and once in the morning.

A batter is more likely to get out in their first fifteen or twenty balls or so than they are after that - 'getting in'. So you send in a nightwatchman so that a top order batter doesn't have to get in twice - once in the evening and once in the morning.

If they're good enough to be a top order batsman they should be able to handle batting 20 minutes at the end of the day. Unless you're an English top order batsman. I still think they should just reverse the batting order and open with Wood. Burns at 11.

If they're good enough to be a top order batsman they should be able to handle batting 20 minutes at the end of the day.
The numbers don't back you up. Doesn't matter how good you are, you're more likely to get out in the first few overs than you are after you've got in. The reasoning behind the nightwatchman is sound.

To counter your position, I remember Bairstow refusing a nightwatchman once and coming out to bat with about three overs left, and promptly getting out.

The numbers don't back you up. Doesn't matter how good you are, you're more likely to get out in the first few overs than you are after you've got in. The reasoning behind the nightwatchman is sound.

To counter your position, I remember Bairstow refusing a nightwatchman once and coming out to bat with about three overs left, and promptly getting out.
Sound unless you're Steve Waugh, who if he's still associated with the team must see it as a sign of weakness.

Yes, well that's Bairstow. He's not very good. The Aussies used to often eschew using one during their great period in the 90s/00s. Steve Waugh didn't like it at all.

Boland looks competent with the bat though. On Aussie comms they were trying to put together a combined 11 btw from the whole series. Only Root made it with Wood a maybe. Can't argue.

Sound unless you're Steve Waugh, who if he's still associated with the team must see it as a sign of weakness.
That would be the Steve Waugh who refused to farm the strike when batting with the tail. I saw stats on that once - he wasn't very good at building runs with the tail. He was very good at getting a red-inker with them.

He played in an all-great team, so it didn't matter. But he wasn't always that smart in his team tactics.

That would be the Steve Waugh who refused to farm the strike when batting with the tail. I saw stats on that once - he wasn't very good at building runs with the tail. He was very good at getting a red-inker with them.

He played in an all-great team, so it didn't matter. But he wasn't always that smart in his team tactics.

I guess it formed part of his 'mental disintegration' strategy. Which seemed to be quite successful. Not backing your top order batsmen to see out the day would have seemed a weakness I guess.

Yup.. strange he had that apparent frailty, yet would stand up to Ambrose etc. Richie Richardson should have let Ambrose take his head off.

We made double figures without loss!

I make that already the fourth best opening innings England have had in this tour, beating earlier opening partnerships of 0, 7, 4, 4, 7 and 2 but not as good as 23, 22 or 46

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom