Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Snooker 2021-22

You know he'll be on the Beeb coverage from this weekend now, don't you?
He was, and Parrott gave him stick, describing his punditry as "better than amateur".

Kyren looked very sharp this afternoon, and Ronnie looked to be in a good headspace.

I'm glad Akani's got a couple on the board against Higgins, who looked fairly imperious before the break. However, no one deserves to win with this haircut.

1638049827295.png

Good match this one, hope Chris Wakelin can get a result although after the seventh frame i think Judd might just put it away now.

Trump's just won a frame with 57 points - not a break of 57 points but 57 total versus 33 points :eek:
Was that the one which went horrible from the break, and ended up taking about 40 minutes?

What the hell's happened to Ding? I only saw a very short extract of his match, but it's been a trend for a number of years. I remember watching his WC semi with Trump ten years ago, when they were 24 and 21 respectively, and thinking they were going be the next big things. He's now not even the top Chinese player really.

Yep it was the one with only yellow and green available for a lot of it. Maximum break must have been about 9 which is about my maximum break over the years. I did flick through some of the end though.

Haven't seen Ding but yes is a shame he was great player.

Watching the Zhao v Lines game at nearly 2 am :oops: fascinating game was 4-1 to Zhao now 4-4 and I should go to bed.

So I didn't see it, but Wilson took the final frame decider. Believe or not it's apparently the first time he's made it to the UK semis.

Didn't see either semis, both apparently excellent. Don't normally bother with the interviews afterwards, but the Zhao one was lovely.

Didn't see either semis, both apparently excellent. Don't normally bother with the interviews afterwards, but the Zhao one was lovely.
They were both ridiculously good and if both players perform tomorrow as they have done the rest of the tournament it will be an (and i don't use the next word lightly, but...) EPIC final.

I was going to remark how long it had been since a Triple Crown final was contested by two non-British or Irish players.

Then I looked up the UKs history and saw Robertson beat Liang in 2015.

Amazing stuff today. Bit of post-vaccination blues so felt like a lazy one, and I chose a good day for it. First-mistake-loses frames nearly all the way. Zhao's two shots into the middle pockets were extraordinary. Totally fearless snooker. He was seeing positional shots the commentators hadn't spotted and they were purring about them. That very rarely happens.

I'm always concerned when players unexpectedly get right the way through that they're going to collapse at the end. Great final so far though (third game), both look up for it. :thumbs:

Last edited:
I hope Luca has a good rest and meal before the evening session, and some supportive words from his team. Zhao played very well, but also had the run of the balls.

Steve Davis is I think the only person who seems to use the second part of the Chinese players' names alone as if they were surnames, e.g. "Xintong", "Junhui", "Bingtao", etc. Does anyone know if this is at all right?

The Scottish Open starts today. Quest, but only during the day until Saturday.

What's people's pick for the Masters first round? I think it was Hendry who picked out Trump-Allen, although I'm quite looking forward to seeing how Zhao goes against a match player like Higgins.
  • Ronnie O'Sullivan v Jack Lisowski
  • Neil Robertson v Anthony McGill
  • Kyren Wilson v Stuart Bingham
  • Shaun Murphy v Barry Hawkins
  • Judd Trump v Mark Allen
  • Yan Bingtao v Mark Williams
  • John Higgins v Zhao Xintong
  • Mark Selby v Stephen Maguire

I had the afternoon off work, and so watched Maguire against McGill, who are training partners. McGill took the first four in a best of nine, and then the break totally changed things, as Maguire got the next three. McGill was properly scathing about the quality of the tables after he won.

I hadn't noticed until I spotted it on the in-game graphic this afternoon that the Scottish Open is being played in... Llandudno.

Higgins-Brecel in the final tomorrow.

Higgins didn't play badly, but Brecel was clinical. I can't remember seeing anyone pot into the middle pockets at such pace so consistently.

If Brecel keeps it up in the evening session i'll be on for an early night :cool:

Fair play to Higgins for recomposing himself, because at one point it looked like he'd be steamrollered.

World Grand Prix starts today in Coventry. ITV4, afternoon and evening.

Back
Top Bottom