Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2019

i do hope them two good stumpings don't keep YJB in by default.

Foakes, best keeper - beyond shit batting this year
buttler/YJB - not as good but +20 bat.

I'm using jos.

Don't fucking jinx it mate. He's what. 80+?
Who, Rev? Probably about that. Vega was 39 and wearing a wig by the time the first album came out.

Meanwhile Root makes the breakthrough. I was pinning my hopes on the new ball but it may not be needed. Don't know what the rules are on asking for an extra half hour.

Who, Rev? Probably about that. Vega was 39 and wearing a wig by the time the first album came out.

Meanwhile Root makes the breakthrough. I was pinning my hopes on the new ball but it may not be needed. Don't know what the rules are on asking for an extra half hour.
Mr rev.

All happened since.

Good win. A series of what-ifs for both teams, I would think.

Positives for England: Broad with his mojo back. Archer - a world star arrives, every bit as good as we hoped he would be. Stokes continues his superman performances. Leach - runs, guts, cleaning cloths, but more importantly going forwards, he's had a quietly effective start to his career with the ball. I think he should be given an extended run now as England's no. 1 spinner. Burns - very respectable 390 runs in a series when all other openers have struggled.

Negatives for England: Roy fuck's sake, say no more. Bairstow continues to slump with the bat - I just don't think he's in the right role here. Root 320 runs is very below par for him really - on balance, I've changed my mind and he should be allowed to bat where he wants, so back to 4. Anderson out, perhaps for good, although he's determined to come back by all accounts, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. Moeen disappeared quickly. Who knows if he can come back from that - perhaps he can get another go in Sri Lanka (why there again so quickly? ).

Middling for England: Buttler picked up a bit near the end - very bad figures, 250 runs, but some important runs in there and got better. Denly likewise some tough runs and got better, if underwhelming with 310 runs. I still put ?? next to them as long- or medium-term solutions to England's batting woes, but they should keep their places. Woakes - bowled ok at times, poorly at other times, did little with the bat, wasn't trusted much with the ball by Root, which has to concern him re his future prospects.

This is the first Ashes post Cook (and then, without Jimmy..).

If it wasn't for the world cup giving us all a bit of belief, who here wasn't looking forward to watching this Ashes test through their fingers?

mhendo - been a pleasure mate. Onto the rugby.
A pleasure indeed. Nice talking with all of you pommy bastards :). As I said earlier, probably a fair result for the series, and I'm happy enough to retain the Ashes, although a series win would have been much nicer.

I'm not particularly confident about the rugby. The Wallabies are very inconsistent. They got my hopes up with a win over the All Blacks, but then copped a 36-0 hiding from the Kiwis just a week later. Really looking forward to the tournament, though.

Back
Top Bottom