Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2019

Good game good game

Bruce-Forsyth-008.jpg

Bizarre. It clearly pitched miles outside leg. The aussies didn't really bother celebrating when he gave it.
It was a weird one. Surely watching it in real time you'd have a thought that the ball pitched outside leg. Right arm over to a left hander, short of a length, ball hasn't really straightened and hit him in front of leg. Surely 'pitched outside leg' is the first thing you think of. Part of me thinks umpiring has always been shit and we just didn't know before DRS.

It was a weird one. Surely watching it in real time you'd have a thought that the ball pitched outside leg. Right arm over to a left hander, short of a length, ball hasn't really straightened and hit him in front of leg. Surely 'pitched outside leg' is the first thing you think of. Part of me thinks umpiring has always been shit and we just didn't know before DRS.
I think that's part of it, but another issue is that the presence of DRS allows umpires to hedge their bets. They can make a decision, knowing that a review will fix a mistake and they won't be blamed for winning or losing the match.

Speaking of LBW, I don't know what the hell the Australians were doing asking for a review on the Pat Cummins dismissal. That was about a clear an LBW as you'll see. It seemed that Smith, at the non-striker's end, was the one who thought that it was going down leg side. As one of the commentators said, Smith is clearly better at batting than umpiring.

I reckon we knew. But attitudes towards mistakes have definitely changed. Players used to regularly be given out lbw to balls pitching outside leg or balls that took sizeable inside edges. We didn't make such a big deal out of it - it was still out. And after all, you can't be given out lbw if you hit the ball with the centre of your bat.

Flip side of that would be someone like Dicky Bird. He'd get overturned nowadays for not giving things out, which is just as bad really in its effect on the game, but somehow used not to be considered such a big crime.

All that said, Dharmasena has history. He looks like he's guessing half the time.

Jeeeeeesus

He didn't just miss the third test; he missed half of the second one as well. Australia's batting lineup is really not much more reliable than England's. Smith has been the difference.
I've done a few quick sums. Smith's 6 innings in the series so far have been: 142, 144, 92, 211, 82, 80. That's 751 out of an aggregate 1929 for those 6 innings totals, which amounts to 38.93% of Australia's runs in those innings. If you discount the aggregate of 121 extras it becomes 41.54% of runs scored by all batsmen.

I've done a few quick sums. Smith's 6 innings in the series so far have been: 142, 144, 92, 211, 82, 80. That's 751 out of an aggregate 1929 for those 6 innings totals, which amounts to 38.93% of Australia's runs in those innings. If you discount the aggregate of 121 extras it becomes 41.54% of runs scored by all batsmen.
He has been incredible , the real difference between the sides, no other batsman has hit 400 .

There are still three batsmen who should be playing for their careers today on a flat Oval wicket in the sun. Denly, Bairstow and Buttler. England expects.

The Oval is far off being Broads favourite ground. 30 wickets at 36, strike rate over 70. Odd.

Cummins has bowled way more overs than any other pace bowler and should be tired. Aus have been just as over reliant on him and Hazlewood as England have been on Archer and Broad. But. 27 wickets.

Lyon seems shot. Aus noticeably reluctant to use him in first innings. Today is his last chance obviously but he seems to have lost his action.

Smith scored 80 with flu. Archer recognized his genius yesterday (and his flu). But you can still expect churlish comments on here and boos from a crowd who should know better.

A couple of players on each team aside, this has been an Ashes fought by two teams well below par. So, Smith aside, at least that's made it not one-sided.

All we need now is a century today. See first paragraph.

I'm getting ahead of myself here but some good news is that only twice has a 4th innings target of 250+ been reached on this ground*.

Some more good news is that (I think) only 4 of Smith's 26 hundreds have come in the second innings.

The 'bad' news is that we're only two days into the match so, given how England have batted in the series thus far, the Aussies will probably begin their chase sometime on day 4 when the pitch won't have deteriorated as much as a day 5 pitch.

A quick word on Smith. He's only half-way through his career but it's abundantly clear that he's some sort of batting genius. For me, comparisons with Don Bradman, Greame Pollock, Keaton Jennings, and Sachin Tendulkar are bang on point.

*In case Kabbles is reading, there have been 12 times a 250+ 4th innings target was set at the Oval - twice achieved, five times fell short and 5 draws. This one won't be a draw.

I'm getting ahead of myself here but some good news is that only twice has a 4th innings target of 250+ been reached on this ground*.

Some more good news is that (I think) only 4 of Smith's 26 hundreds have come in the second innings.

The 'bad' news is that we're only two days into the match so, given how England have batted in the series thus far, the Aussies will probably begin their chase sometime on day 4 when the pitch won't have deteriorated as much as a day 5 pitch.

A quick word on Smith. He's only half-way through his career but it's abundantly clear that he's some sort of batting genius. For me, comparisons with Don Bradman, Greame Pollock, Keaton Jennings, and Sachin Tendulkar are bang on point.

*In case Kabbles is reading, there have been 12 times a 250+ 4th innings target was set at the Oval - twice achieved, five times fell short and 5 draws. This one won't be a draw.

Liked for Keaton Jennings reference. :D

Yup just need to bat for a day. A simple task which seems to be beyond England. We'll see.

Well, England's lead is now over 200, with the loss of only two wickets. If I were a betting man right now, I'd put money on England to win this match and draw the series. And, to be honest, I think it would probably be a fair result. England haven't been great, but apart from Smith, neither have Australia. On the other hand, if the Aussies come back and pull off a victory here, I'll be very happy.

I haven't been listening but every time I've checked Beeb feed Denley has done something that he has only just escaped being out to.. All day!!!

What stats are there on the impact/determinism of coin tosses in Cricket? It is a bit shit that (if my assumptions are correct), winning the toss has such an impact on the result...

What stats are there on the impact/determinism of coin tosses in Cricket? It is a bit shit that (if my assumptions are correct), winning the toss has such an impact on the result...

Well for a start there's still the matter of making the correct decision once you've won the toss. Tim Paine.

Sure - of course this is the assumption people make the correct decision and bat first. I guess the question is on teams batting or bowling first too.

This century, teams who've won the toss have won the test 41% of the time, versus 36% wins for teams losing the toss.

Back
Top Bottom