Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2019

My 2p on the Warner dismissal. There was a noise - you could hear it in real time - and that noise came as the ball passed the bat. One thing to remember about camera frames is that there is a significant time period between frames. If the ball only grazed the bat a tiny bit, it may have come between frames. It's hard to think what else could have made that noise.

Meanwhile, I can see these two batting all day here. :mad:

I haven’t seen it yet, can’t get near a TV. But on commentary they suggested studs can be picked up by Ultra Edge. I’ll watch tonight. Majority view on comms was he didn’t hit it. But Jim Maxwell said Warner looked worried from the moment of the review.

Ok, seen it on BBC. Definitely a noise.

Last edited:
My 2p on the Warner dismissal. There was a noise - you could hear it in real time - and that noise came as the ball passed the bat. One thing to remember about camera frames is that there is a significant time period between frames. If the ball only grazed the bat a tiny bit, it may have come between frames. It's hard to think what else could have made that noise.
I really wasn't sure. The noise was so small, it wasn't clear that the noise came as the ball passed the bat, and there also didn't seem to be any deviation whatsoever, not only in the flight of the ball (which is sometimes expected with very fine edges), but also the spin of the ball in the air.

Anyway, whether he hit it or not, it's still his own damn fault for flashing at a wide ball like that. He's fucking useless. I said before this test that they should have dropped Warner, brought Khawaja back, and opened with either Khawaja or Labuschagne. With the way the Aussie openers have been getting out, Labuschagne has been coming in against the new ball anyway, and he has looked as comfortable against it as anyone in either side, with the exception of Smith and maybe Burns.

Regarding the point you make about the time period between frames, I've become increasingly irritated that cricket authorities seem unwilling to invest in higher frame-rate cameras. The cameras they have seem to run at a standard 30-odd frames per second, or at most 60 fps. You can get cameras that run many times that fast. Sure, such cameras are more expensive, and might be out of reach for everyday chaps like you and me, but there's a lot of money in cricket now, and investing a couple of hundred grand in better cameras would seem to be worth it. Hell, especially in a country as small as England, they wouldn't even need good cameras at each test ground. They could buy one or two sets, and transport them between London and Manchester and Leeds and Birmingham during the series.

Totally agree about high-speed cameras. Can't be that expensive, surely, particularly for these two. Hawkeye costs a fortune already.

tbh though, as you say, it was only Warner. He'd have got out soon playing like that anyway. If that happens to Smith there will be more concerns from both sides. Agree also that Khawaja has to be a better bet than either him or Harris. Or Wade, probably.

Yes, Warner's back foot came off the ground at the same time the ball passed or nicked his bat. That's nearer to the stump microphone than the edge/non edge so that could theoretically be what the spike on ultra-edge was. Professor Mike Holding instantly (and tactfully) suggested something was amiss with the third umpire's decision.

Wade out.

I think i called for Root to bowl to him on this thread. It then took two tests for Root to do this and he got him in his second over.

Just saying.

Is it just me that thinks regardless of how good Smith is, we could be getting the other 10 out quicker.

She's rumoured to be taking over from Gower as the main Sky presenter. This is Gower's last test. I think Botham is off too.

Cant stand either of them on commentary whenever i get to see sky coverage.

Is it just me that thinks regardless of how good Smith is, we could be getting the other 10 out quicker.

Cant stand either of them on commentary whenever i get to see sky coverage.

Yeah, just cos you're an ex-England captain, doesn't mean you can commentate. Botham's the worst for me. Utterly banal and charmless. Hussain is good. Atherton's ok. Isa Guha is better than any of them.

Who was it rabbiting on about par scores earlier today?
Nah it was right though. Both teams should have got 350+. The Oval is a great place to bat in decent weather on the first 2-3 days. These are the two worst batting line-ups to have contested the Ashes, well I'll be kind and say since WW2.

England have bowled absolute dross since the Smith wicket. Wide balls, long hops and half volley after half volley. This is where Root fails, the situation is sliding yet he does nothing.

Back
Top Bottom