Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2019

Tbf, I'm deliberately stirring because of the shit I got (Katie Hopkins) for daring to suggest Burns wasn't the finished article after he'd scored a century.

He may well get a match winning century in the 2nd innings and, as I said back at that time, I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Because boy are we desperate for talent.
I suspected as much but thought I'd go along with it (and play it with a straight bat this time).

Not looking good here. This is a 450 pitch. Smith and Labuschagne will have a field day on this.

Genuinely clueless.

I'm actually glad this is happening in a way because a decent batting performance on a good track in a dead rubber would have only have papered over the massive canyons.

England cannot bat and have not been able to bat for a long time. Wide scale changes needed.

And there's a reason Sam Curran has never scored a first class 100. He's a lower-order slogger. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but he's a place too high at seven.

What a mess.

And there's a reason Sam Curran has never scored a first class 100. He's a lower-order slogger. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but he's a place too high at seven.

What a mess.
Yeah, if they wanted someone to flash at balls wide outside off stump, they could have left Roy in the team. :)

Genuinely clueless.

I'm actually glad this is happening in a way because a decent batting performance on a good track in a dead rubber would have only have papered over the massive canyons.

England cannot bat and have not been able to bat for a long time. Wide scale changes needed.
Yeah I'm inclined to agree tbh. This is a good wicket. Aus could score 500 again on this. England needed at least 350, but the top order got out to soft shots and now the middle order can't deal with Mitchell Marsh. :facepalm:

Clutching at straws, it is a good wicket. One or other of Archer or Broad could swipe a quick 40 or 50. They could perhaps struggle to 300.

wtf at the over rate, btw. Still 23 overs left to be bowled today. They're going to be about 10 short at this rate, even with the extra half hour.

Last edited:
I don't know why you're all being so negative.

When it's England's turn to bowl Moeen will rip thru the Aussies.

er...

oh

:(

the middle order can't deal with Mitchell Marsh. :facepalm:

Indeed. England have just given Marsh his best figures. On a flat Oval wicket in the sun.

Broad could swipe a quick 40 or 50.

You didn't really write this did you? :D

wtf at the over rate, btw. Still 23 overs left to be bowled today. They're going to be about 10 short at this rate, even with the extra half hour

This is the real talking point of the day. When the ICC of 2080 rewrite the rules and give 10 penalty runs per over short we'll all see England actually scored 350/7 to this point.

/ #mystraws

Gotta admire Jos taking the piss.

TELEMMGLPICT000165304551_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqejI1gRHJsOsGt35KcRG679u2yEuMU41sWgb-jz7KsTY.jpeg

Watching Leach bat annoys me.

Its not him, I'm impressed by him. He knows his game, he has an organised defence, he gets in line with the ball and plays with soft hands and only at balls he needs to. Despite batting at 10 or jack he places a very high price on his wicket.

So if he can do that what is wrong with the rest of them? We are seeing what white ball cricket has done to our test set up here. Loads of players who have so many ways of finding the boundary but little or no ability to defend their wicket.

351/8. Decent day there for England.
It's not always the case, but those eight overs could really matter here. Two batsmen in, the new ball yes, but in the hands of tired bowlers. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Buttler got out almost straight away tomorrow. The abysmal over rate hasn't cost England 80 runs, but it might have cost them 30.

Watching Leach bat annoys me.

Its not him, I'm impressed by him. He knows his game, he has an organised defence, he gets in line with the ball and plays with soft hands and only at balls he needs to. Despite batting at 10 or jack he places a very high price on his wicket.

So if he can do that what is wrong with the rest of them? We are seeing what white ball cricket has done to our test set up here. Loads of players who have so many ways of finding the boundary but little or no ability to defend their wicket.

Bairstow's the biggest problem in this respect. His test batting is down the toilet in the last two years, exactly the period when he's become a star in odis. You just expect him to fail now, sadly. lbw to a low full toss from the fourth seamer with the old ball was all too expected. yes it was swinging, but it was 85 mph not 95. Fuck, Waqar Younis would have had him for breakfast, lunch and tea with the old ball, and he's batting at five, he's supposed to be the man for the old ball.

Just the 150 or so below par. Chances are Smith will score at least that on his own. Or are we on for an unexpected Bradman-like 4?

It’s going to be a long day.

That's a bit harsh. I'd have taken 394 at the start. Average first innings at the Oval is 360-odd and that wins more matches than it loses, so with this batting unit I'd have taken 350.

That's a bit harsh. I'd have taken 394 at the start. Average first innings at the Oval is 360-odd and that wins more matches than it loses, so with this batting unit I'd have taken 350.

But par doesn’t refer to an average or how good a team (or individual) is does it? Par is a standard - what you should get. And on a sunny day and a fast outfield England threw several wickets away, just like a bad golfer would be well over par with bad shots.

A decent team would get 450 on that pitch batting first.

Anyway, small victories, David Warner hahaha. Trouble is just gives 3 and 4 more chance to bat all day.

Warner's innings' have been the only enjoyable bits of the summer really. I can't see England winning a series against Australia as long as Smith's playing.

Warner's innings' have been the only enjoyable bits of the summer really. I can't see England winning a series against Australia as long as Smith's playing.
tms had some stats on that. Warner is currently about 40 runs shy of the record for the lowest aggregate series total for an opener in a five-test (or longer) series. He's 100 runs shy of the record for an Ashes series and about 120 runs shy of the record for an Ashes series in England. He could be about to set a record that never gets beaten. :cool:

My 2p on the Warner dismissal. There was a noise - you could hear it in real time - and that noise came as the ball passed the bat. One thing to remember about camera frames is that there is a significant time period between frames. If the ball only grazed the bat a tiny bit, it may have come between frames. It's hard to think what else could have made that noise.

Meanwhile, I can see these two batting all day here. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom