Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2017-18

Maybe we should be making sure some players can get to play in the IPL, Big bash et al to get experience of conditions, being away in big pressure games, learning attacking cricket. Also, how many county players head abroad for winter. You can bet stokes will come back a better player

They do well in Aus. And Aus do well in SA, oddly. But they lost in England this year and were thrashed in India.
Does anyone do well in India!? And losing to us at home is the exception isnt it? Speaking from memory so apologies if wrong!

Does anyone do well in India!? And losing to us at home is the exception isnt it? Speaking from memory so apologies if wrong!
No you're not wrong that until recently, SA had an impressive away record (and an underwhelming home record), but there are signs of this changing.

Maybe we should be making sure some players can get to play in the IPL, Big bash et al to get experience of conditions, being away in big pressure games, learning attacking cricket. Also, how many county players head abroad for winter. You can bet stokes will come back a better player
Christ no. There's already too much emphasis on players who have done well in the shorter formats of the game coming into the Test team. White and red ball cricket are getting more and more different, if you wanted to do anything encourage county players to go oversees for the winter - and don't constantly run down first class cricket, especially the county championship.

No, it’s not. Strike rotation in a five day game is paramount at any venue.
Not if you're smashing boundaries it isn't. Scoring is paramount at any venue. I don't think your criticism is valid at all. Put away the bad balls and keep out the good ones.

One word: Inzamam.

I don't think the answer to England's test woes is more t20, tbh.
The format no, but the experience of being away in unfamiliar conditions, the ability to learn from the guys they will play against. KP, for all his faults makes the point about how much you can learn in those tournies

Not if you're smashing boundaries it isn't. Scoring is paramount at any venue. I don't think your criticism is valid at all. Put away the bad balls and keep out the good ones.

With a left hand right hand partnership you’ll get more bad balls if you rotate. In 2020 I’d agree with you but not across five days.

The format no, but the experience of being away in unfamiliar conditions, the ability to learn from the guys they will play against. KP, for all his faults makes the point about how much you can learn in those tournies
Not self-serving at all, that opinion? See this shit that pays tons of money - it's great for my game, you know!

Christ no. There's already too much emphasis on players who have done well in the shorter formats of the game coming into the Test team. White and red ball cricket are getting more and more different, if you wanted to do anything encourage county players to go oversees for the winter - and don't constantly run down first class cricket, especially the county championship.
I don't totally agree or disagree, but can see the benefits of both sides. Its not straight forward eh?

To be honest I think one of the biggest ways to improve the away form would be better preparation. More matches, and competitive first class matches not these crappy two day substitution things would help.
Agree. We had 3 proper 1st class fixtures before the victorious 2010/11 series and fielded the Test XI in two of them.

When the Aussies are a shambles they lose 3-1. When England are a shambles we lose 5-0.

Graeme Swann lost his right to comment on the England team when he walked out on the side. And set up that weird fake KP twitter account. A cunt of the highest order.
In his defence, he has always denied having anything to do with a fake account. Yes he did leave the tour early because he was unable to bowl properly and felt that he had become a liability to the team. I don't think either of those "accusations" disqualify Swanny from making informed comments based on his experience. You may feel anger towards him because you what you perceive to be (incorrectly?) a betrayal and consider him a traitor, however he does make a lot of sense in my opinion and I enjoy his contributions to TMS like I enjoy Boycs, Tuffers and Vaughny. They all add their own unique perspective which is part of what makes TMS utterly brilliant.

He and broad set that account up and while i don’t have much time for KP he’s far preferable to both of those two utter cunts. And a far better player.

He’s also the single most irritating commentator I’ve ever heard. He doesn’t appear to actually watch the cricket, preferring to tell anecdotes about his own career. And his comedy accents. Well. Just go away Swanny.

He and broad set that account up and while i don’t have much time for KP he’s far preferable to both of those two utter cunts. And a far better player.
As I said he has denied having anything to do with the twitter account, if you have something other than gossip evidence then feel free to present it. As for playing records, well they're not really comparable. All three have contributed to past England successes and have also been present at English failures.

He’s also the single most irritating commentator I’ve ever heard. He doesn’t appear to actually watch the cricket, preferring to tell anecdotes about his own career. And his comedy accents. Well. Just go away Swanny.
I guess this sort of thing is subjective, and if you already believe that he is an "utter cunt" then you probably won't be appreciative of his contributions. In my opinion he's well qualified to comment, he's a former Ashes winner who has performed well for England in the past and has good knowledge of the game. Yeah his comedy accents might be a bit hit and miss (perhaps even just miss) but he does know his stuff. All of the summarisers have stories and anecdotes, that's part of the TMS vibe and I'm happy for him to stay. I guess if you don't really care for him you can always switch over to BT Sport when it's his turn to summarise.

You'd have to switch back when Swann is on BT!!

Gilchrist and Punter have been great on BT, have they been on TMS at all?

I struggle to tell the Austalian voices apart on the radio. Shane Warne is the only recognisable one, the rest just sound like the seagulls from Finding Nemo.

loool, oh yeah I forgot that there's cross BT/TMS pollination.

I don't think they've been on TMS, I've mainly heard Glenn McGrath, who as been excellent imo. I didn't really like the bits of Gilly that I saw on BT Sport, but tbh I've only seen bits and mostly listen on TMS.

He's on BT sports. He's a key part of their new wacky approach.

I tune into the Aussie coverage as even Michael Clarke is preferable to Swann.

As for the twitter account that's a fairly open secret that he was responsible.

I preferred the Sky coverage tbh and haven't get got accustomed to the BT Sport coverage which feels a bit "alien" to me.

Its the first time i haven't listened to TMS for a long time, just because I got a black Friday deal on BT sport.

There has been some great interval discussions between Vaughn, Punter, Gilly and KP.. Am i right in thinking Vaughn is no fan of KP? Seems that way and adds to it all :D

Back
Top Bottom