Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

Wickets taken in the series:

England 71/80
Australia 46/80

This plus the batting average stats is why it's essential that win next week. We have to convert these abstract stats into a convincing series win and make Perth look like a blip.

Is there anything more stylish than winning by an innings and 157 runs ?

I've been at a hospital appointment all day with mr mania, and I just kept saying it to myself and couldn't help smiling :D

Well I did want to inflict their record home defeat on them but I guess their biggest home defeat in 98 years will do :D

Here's the sprinkler...

is it possible that pingtong's cracked pinky might unfortunately mean he's unfit for the sydney test? i hope not, he needs to be a comprehensive three times loser of the ashes.

is it possible that pingtong's cracked pinky might unfortunately mean he's unfit for the sydney test? i hope not, he needs to be a comprehensive three times loser of the ashes.

Yup.

I am watching the highlights of the past 2 days - having been unable to before. Amusing how the Aussie commentators are in denial :D

Ponting - Warra twat - I thought Kim Hughes was useless (remember him)? this guy is pathetic = they need to ditch him pronto.

Didn't his grandpa play in the bodyline series? must be revolving in his grave :(

You're probably thinking of the Chappells, whose grandfather was Vic Richardson, Australia's opening bat when Douglas Jardine's exemplary tactics caused such a massive hissy fit down under

Ponting's not a very good captain imho, at least not of an average side, which is what Australia are now. Their problem (or one of them) is in trying to persist with the hyper aggressive batting approach of their glory days, which worked fine when they had Matthew Hayden coming out and moosing the ball everywhere from the off but not so well when there are lesser talents in the side. They need to learn to play average cricket effectively, which is what we've had to do over the last 10 years of being relatively competitive.

I'm in two minds about his injury. He is, of course, a dangerous player, even when his eyes have gone and his openers can't protect him from the new ball (if he continues in the team they must drop him down to four or five). On the other hand, he's been a cheap wicket all series for us so it's encouraging to see him walking to the wicket once Hughes has gone to another shit shot (or his partner's run him out). If Ponting's unfit (and I bet he does play), Clarke is not a convincing candidate as captain if you believe stories of his less than universal popularity in the dressing room and his poor results as one day skipper. I'd be more worried if they put Hussey in charge.

Talking of their openers, it's bizarre to see them open with a pair who should be going in at 5/6/7 at the highest. Hughes needs to be sent in lower if he's to play at all and Watson may be a guaranteed 50 but no more than that - he's a two hour batsman, gets bored, loses concentration and gets out. That's not what you want from an opener. What of Chris Rogers or Phil Jaques? Mark Cosgrove is a bit of a tubber but he's also a good opening bat for Tasmania. They seem to have options, they just won't use them, preferring youngsters like Hughes to seasoned pros. Approaches they've used when the team were on top of the world aren't so effective when they're mediocre at best and I really do think they need to rethink their selection policy.

Nice to be discussing their problems rather than ours :)

Just been having a play with the ICC Test rankings to see what it would take for us to go second in the world this coming summer. Depends on the result of the SA-India series at the moment as well of course but with Sri Lanka and India at home, it's going to be a very exciting year hopefully, especially considering both sides' relative frailties outside the subcontinent

Watson is a completely new problem for them. They can't move him from the top of the order because Hughes won't be there long and there's no way they're about to find two new openers who will do better than him. But his skills are completely wasted where he is. So, in conclusion, lol.

Yup.

I am watching the highlights of the past 2 days - having been unable to before. Amusing how the Aussie commentators are in denial :D

Ponting - Warra twat - I thought Kim Hughes was useless (remember him)? this guy is pathetic = they need to ditch him pronto.

Didn't his grandpa play in the bodyline series? must be revolving in his grave :(

The Aussie commentators on the highlights are great. They make occasional token attempts to be neutral but then get really excited at every faint glimmer of hope.

Yup.

Kim Hughes was he the aussie captain during what became known as Bothams ashes.I thought at the time he showed a lot of dignity when he resigned .I agree the aussie don't do impartial except ritchie benaud.Have to listen out for Hughes ,is he really that bad

Kim Hughes' problem was that he was seen as the 'chosen one', posh boy who was anointed captain and disliked by the senior members of the squad - Marsh, Lillee, the Chappells. After acting the twat towards him for a couple of years they all retired simultaneously just before home and away series against the West Indies, which was obviously massively brave of them. Whoever takes over from Ponting, at least he won't have to deal with a clique of surly 'legends' trying to disrupt the team

I agree with Gough's comments that England need to be bringing through talent and blooding new players while we are on top.

^ Yeah well, blah, blah - talk specifics or don't bother.

The barmy army echoing around an almost empty MCG during play on the 4th day of an Ashes Test will remain in the memory for a long time.

Decent away support.

^ Yeah well, blah, blah - talk specifics or don't bother.

The barmy army echoing around an almost empty MCG during play on the 4th day of an Ashes Test will remain in the memory for a long time.

Decent away support.
Specifics: replace Collingwood with someone new for Sydney.

Specifics: replace Collingwood with someone new for Sydney.
shahzad? he's gotta get a run sooner or later, the bloke's earnt it. colly would be better off conserving his fading energies for the World Cup
e2a: morgan also needs some wicket time, and Rashid and Panesar are hopefully still in the frame for the future. fortunately, this top order has 5 years undisturbed life left in it

I can't see England going with five bowlers – Prior at 6 is probably one place too high for him, and they only need a draw after all – so you could only replace Collingwood with Morgan. I don't think Morgan is test-quality, personally, and he has also hardly played, so I'd stick with Collingwood. Longer-term, I do think Collingwood's probably reached the end of the line, but he can be replaced next summer, not now.

shahzad? he's gotta get a run sooner or later, the bloke's earnt it. colly would be better off conserving his fading energies for the World Cup

If they needed the win, maybe, although if you're going with five bowlers for Sydney, I'd rather see Monty wheeled out.

Won't happen though – they will only pick four bowlers for Sydney.

I never thought winning the Ashes in Australia would feel this fucking cosmic. A day later, and i've still got a huge bloody great grin on my face!:D

This may sound complacent, but I really, really can't see how the aussies are gonna fashion a win in Sydney. Perth was different; the place has always been a nightmare for England, going all the way back to '74. sydney suits England.

No, we don't need five bowlers. How many times? The two occasions in the series when we've looked ropey (first innings at Brisbane, both at Perth) had nothing to do with the bowlers. Four bowlers is more than enough, six batsmen, wicketkeeper and four bowlers is a balanced team, don't unbalance it.

So it would come down to Colly or Morgan at Sydney. Collingwood, every time

Finn. His potential is bigger, for all I think Bresnan's underrated. The consistency and economy that Finn has hitherto lacked will come with maturity, and the more tests he plays. Bloody rough luck on Bresnan, though

Back
Top Bottom