Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

Malcolm Conn makes a bid for worst loser in the Australian press:

It's one thing to be flogged by the once mighty West Indies after the upheaval of World Series Cricket and rebel tours of South Africa. It is quite another to be humiliated by a third-ranked nation which has one superstar, the South African-born Kevin Pietersen, when he gets his head right.

With just about anyone. Collingwood is neither old faithful nor up and coming. He's neither a go to bowler nor reliable batsman.

It's a view. Wasn't giving you a hard time for the sake of it, it just becomes a little trickier when you actually have to name names and offer explanations.

For Lord Camomile - the Sprinkler dance in full effect at the MCG

126442.jpg

162702_1507126205346_1450044651_31080906_5384537_n.jpg

:D

Come on then, selection opinions for Sydney.

It should take spin so you might want to pick Monty, but is it really necessary with Swann on the team? All the fast bowlers performed last time, so I can't see any pressing reason to change anything there. If England want to be truly ruthless they could drop Colly for Morgan or another bowler, but I think they'll give him a chance to get a few runs as a going away present. Strauss has a bit of a soft side (like picking Flintoff for the Oval in 2009) so I'd expect to see him keep Colly in. He will also be very useful in the world cup in Feb.

Come on then, selection opinions for Sydney.

It should take spin so you might want to pick Monty, but is it really necessary with Swann on the team? All the fast bowlers performed last time, so I can't see any pressing reason to change anything there. If England want to be truly ruthless they could drop Colly for Morgan or another bowler, but I think they'll give him a chance to get a few runs as a going away present. Strauss has a bit of a soft side (like picking Flintoff for the Oval in 2009) so I'd expect to see him keep Colly in. He will also be very useful in the world cup in Feb.

I really hope they don't keep him in for the sake of it. This is still a serious game - a series draw would be a big let down IMO. Personally I think they should drop him but if he does play it should only be because they reckon he's the best player to play (which to be fair would be consistent with the approach taken so far).

Collingwood will play because he is the best man for the position

Don't get too excited about the SCG's spin properties, it's not 1995 any more. It'll turn a bit later on but swing will be as important.

Unchanged team

Yes, they've changed the soil, apparently. Bad luck on Monty, but given that he can't bat, I don't see him ever playing in the same team as Swann unless England unearth a genuine all-rounder.

don't want morgan to be called up to prove himself in test cricket in a game as important as this one. collingwood's been in awful form, but in a tight spot, i'd still back him to produce the goods over morgan who's not proven in tests still imo

I don't really rate Morgan. My guess is that he'll be like Michael Bevan – a great one-day performer who doesn't make the grade in tests.

They should pick Morgan - he must be good enough/rated highly enough to have been picked as the spare bat on the tour. Colly hasn't done it or looked like doing it. Change from a position of strength. We're not Australia you know..

Happy New Year cricket people. 2011 marks the tenth anniversary of Australia's last Ashes series win in England :)
and if you win this series not just draw it,it will be the first series win in 24 years for England in Australia(just to keep it in context like):p

They should pick Morgan - he must be good enough/rated highly enough to have been picked as the spare bat on the tour. Colly hasn't done it or looked like doing it. Change from a position of strength. We're not Australia you know..

Nah, Collingwood offers more.

and if you win this series not just draw it,it will be the first series win in 24 years for England in Australia(just to keep it in context like):p

Yeah and Don Bradman used to be a bit good. That's ancient history and all

Morgan is the one to at least try and develop for #6 (assuming Bell gets moved to #5). If he can't reign in the one-day style of play, then we look elsewhere. But if Collingwood plays (which is probably will) and gets a score (which I hope he does), he's still going to retire from Tests after this tour - so who else do we start work on?

Generally speaking for live rubbers, I say you should always choose your strongest team, and let development work itself out. In this case, Collingwood is still the right player for this test, imo.

As for his replacement, it will probably be Morgan, but I don't think it should be. His batting proved very fragile in the summer, and he has a very average first class record. I would tell him to go away and make runs in the County Championship if he wants to play test cricket.

Who else? I don't know. I still think Ravi Bopara could make it as a test batsman, and coming into a successful team could be the right time for him again. Or another bright prospect I know little about – I knew nothing about Jonathan Trott until about a month before he was first selected.

People have been trying to write Colly out of the Test side for years now. They've always been wrong and it's no different now

That's it, keep living in the past.

typical pommy biasedness,your side can bring up our failures but i cannot retort with other facts that put things in context.Bring it on baby,i predict a draw this test and a drawn series as a result,just to extend the years it takes your lot to win a series here:D:cool:(wish there was a smiley for a two fingered salute)
Bunch o kuntz

typical pommy biasedness,your side can bring up our failures but i cannot retort with other facts that put things in context.bring it on baby,i predict a draw this test and a drawn series as a result,just to extend the years it takes your lot to win a series here:d:cool:(wish there was a smiley for a two fingered salute)
bunch o kuntz

yes, aussies aren't biased at all.

It is ten years since Australia won in England

It is four years since they beat England in Australia and this will extend to a minimum eight years :cool:

Back
Top Bottom