Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

Finn's leaking of runs took the pressure off at times. See Ponting's comments about how Bresnan's inclusion basically meant that there weren't any opportunities for scoring runs. Bresnan got the ball reversing at times as well, not sure that Finn managed that at all.

They won't change the team, I'm pretty sure of that

He is the team's best fielder, and he has won/saved test matches for England in the past. I think he should be dropped after this series, but he should play in Sydney, imo, albeit at number 6, not 5.

Well I'm looking forward to it :)

i've realised I was thinking of Ponsford - I think he was the captain in the Bodyline tests.

Is this going to signal the end of Australian digs at the cosmopolitan nature of English sides down the years as well?

Got him cheap in Hobart and I'm not sure sending a novice in at three is a great move

Will he be able to get the 15 or so runs needed to meet the standard there?

No you're probably right

Even so, David Hussey - 12000 FC runs at over 50 and no Test cap. All the other names I've mentioned above (Jaques, Cosgrove, Rogers). Hauritz. I'm sure there's better batsmen in Australia than Smith and Hughes anyway

yep. I don't understand the dumping of Hauritz or the neglect of David Hussey, and wasn't Jacques really good when he came into test cricket a couple of years ago? Curious.

Jaques has 900 Test runs at 47. Terrible back injuries but he's playing now. The return to Hughes is weird, it's plain he's no further forward than when he was found out in England last year

Hauritz, well... supposedly Ponting and the selectors are unimpressed with his habit of picking up niggling 'injuries' when he doesn't want to play. Seen it said that this is why he didn't play at the Oval last year when a spinner was an obvious requirement. I think they're wrong, he's got a record comparable to Panesar as a bowler and has scored two centuries for NSW this season. He's a very capable cricketer.

cosgrove is a decent shout for opening bat, but they won't pick him cos of his weight. shame (for them) really

saw him batting for glamorgan against gloucester last season when he scored a century. he is pretty big though

Glam+v+Glos+Day+4+190909+(35).JPG

Ta

There was more joy for diehard Poms who have come to the other side of the world to see England retain the urn in Australia for the first time in 24 years. Cricket Australia threw open the gates after Mitchell Johnson's dismissal in the second over of the morning. ''We did open the gates free of charge after the fall of Johnson's wicket because there were too many people outside trying to get in, and the ticket selling process wasn't going to be able to process them in time,'' a CA spokesman said. ''We were worried there were English people who have come all the way from England who wanted to see the defining moment who'd be stuck outside. At that point, we opened the gates to let them in.''

Glad about that, I saw interviews with people outside while play was in progress and tweets from people queuing listening to the roar as Johnson's wicket fell

Back
Top Bottom