Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

Yes, 'Take Me Home' is sung at several different clubs. We were singing it on tour with Michael Vaughan years ago. I don't give a shit what you think, the Barmy Army song book isn't ripped off from Manchester United, now stop going on about it.

Yes, 'Take Me Home' is sung at several different clubs. We were singing it on tour with Michael Vaughan years ago. I don't give a shit what you think, the Barmy Army song book isn't ripped off from Manchester United, now stop going on about it.
Well OK.. just seems strange the songs we were singing at Birmingham earlier tonight were the same at Melbourne :D

except with different words, as is the way of these things
in fairness, I've never heard any other group of fans sing those songs, apart from Utd fans. Prob one Barmy Army fan heard both tunes and thought of another use. Almost every song you hear the Barmy Army sing are borrowed football chants. Because, basically, singing at the cricket isn't something with a very long history.

For Lord Camomile - the Sprinkler dance in full effect at the MCG

126442.jpg

Well I've just come down a mountain over 3000 metres up to hear we've won. A holy mountain, the most sacred to buddhists in China.

To be honest seeing the England team doing the sprinkler dance is far more spiritually enlightening than any oversized golden buddha.

It's a batsman's game, eh?

Australia bowled out for 98, a batsman comes in with his team already 60 ahead, scores a hundred and gets man of the match. ffs :rolleyes:

Who won this match?
I'd say it was a fair decision, if only because England's success in the field owed more to all-round team excellence than a huge contribution by any one individual (for instance, Swann's terrific tightness, on a pitch giving nothing to spinners, was as important to England in Australia's second innings as Bresnan's firepower, or the fact that every wicket in the first innings was a catch by an England side who now look lethal in close fielding), whereas Trott's innings was a colossal and spectacular individual contribution

I'm not having that.. both are well known songs but they are not chanted by "sports fans all over Britian".. they are chanted by Man UTD supporters
actually, I heard adapted versions of LWTUA (written, of course, by a MANCHESTER CITY fan) sung by fans at other stadia in the early and mid '80s, ditto 'country roads'

anyway, the fact that adapated versions of LWTUA are sung by both man united fans and cricket fans, does NOT make it a football song, and certainly not a manchester united song!

I'd say it was a fair decision, if only because England's success in the field owed more to all-round team excellence than a huge contribution by any one individual (for instance, Swann's terrific tightness, on a pitch giving nothing to spinners, was as important to England in Australia's second innings as Bresnan's firepower, or the fact that every wicket in the first innings was a catch by an England side who now look lethal in close fielding), whereas Trott's innings was a colossal and spectacular individual contribution

yeah, which bowler would you give it to? Bowlers got 6,5,5 and 2 wickets each. Without Trott's 150, we'd definitely have had to bat again, possibly needing to get as much 100-150.

He's still a trundler. Just one that takes key wickets in pressure matches :p

I wonder who they will pick for Sydney. A happy problem. Personally I would take out Collingwood and add another bowler but they won't.

While we are being smug about our predictions - My 2-2 or 3-1 for the series is looking good.

As far as the trundler tag goes, I now believe it's unfair. He was as quick as, if not quicker than, Anderson and Tremlett. There's an interesting study to be done about the appearance of pace and actual pace based on physique, trajectory and length. Bres was bowling fast, reversing induckers to the right hander and it was massively effective. A tribute to the attention to detail behind the scenes as Flower sent David Saker out to the counties and told him what type of bowlers he wanted. Saker, with his knowledge of the MCG after a career spent bowling there, knew Bresnan was the right man for the ground.

Just goes to show that I don't know as much about cricket as I'd like to. I'm happy to trust the Andies though :)

Edit: the major difference between Bresnan at the MCG and previously was that he'd bowled 5 good balls an over before. At the MCG it was 6

Back
Top Bottom