Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nicola Bulley Missing

In one way, sure, but in others... not so sure.

97% of missing people are found within two weeks, google tells me. Which still leaves 210 people. Even if 90% of them have deliberately run away, thats 21 people. I bet their cases seem pretty similar to NB's to their friends and families. And they'll probably have got bugger all of the resources. Because they don't know where to start looking. But the NB police have looked everywhere they can (without sp[ending absurd levels of resources), so they're all in a pretty similar situation now.
All those kids in Brighton a few weeks ago basically forgotten about already

I wouldn’t want my own unease at my own behaviour to inconvenience any mods. Sometimes you just have to take the the consequences like an adult.

I do think the thread should be nuked once it’s reached its sell-by though.
That's not how forums work and I'm imagine some people would be rightly angered if a mod rocked up and deleted all their posts because someone has arbitrarily invented a 'sell by date' for discussions,

Re the nutters who are visiting her village. A local gangster/dealer went missing during a police chase, where I used to moor in Tottenham. Fingertip search of the marsh, they brought a full coachload of officers in and then divers in the river found nothing. One of my local boating neighbours spotted the body months later, it had floated up, in the old millstream that goes down the back of their mooring site. Droves of nutters turned up, his family had helped fan the flames, they were very vocal on Facebook, on their group, they were threatening witnesses. There was a conspiracy that the cops had put him there, even though he could easily have gone in there because there’s a path from the lock. So my neighbours had folks ’visit’ who had nothing to do with him, or his family, driving from all over the country, trying to get onto their mooring site, scaling the fence. Creeping around at night, scaring the residents to death, trying to find the spot where he was discovered. They ended up having to station a police officer on the gate for a couple of weeks, til it died down.
Then they held a candlelit memorial on the marsh, near our site. We’d asked them not to use sky lanterns (we’re in a nature reserve), they ignored us. One of them set on fire when it hit the cable of an overhead pylon and landed on my neighbours shed, setting that on fire. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I feel for everyone in that village, knowing what they must be going through. If she’s in the river, lets hope she appears somewhere that isn’t gonna cause more chaos and pain.

That's not how forums work and I'm imagine some people would be rightly angered if a mod rocked up and deleted all their posts because someone has arbitrarily invented a 'sell by date' for discussions,
It was initially suggested by another poster that this isn’t a thread they’d like the children of the missing women to find when searching the web in years to come. I was adding my agreement to the suggestion. It’s not like threads have never been deleted. But of course agreement would need to be reached.

It was initially suggested by another poster that this isn’t a thread they’d like the children of the missing women to find when searching the web in years to come. I was adding my agreement to the suggestion. It’s not like threads have never been deleted. But of course agreement would need to be reached.
I understand the concern, but realistically what's posted here is really not going to figure anywhere if people search for the topic in the future. We'll be so far down the list of search results as to be essentially invisible.

I was walking somewhere once when very nearby two fit lads in their 20s (both strong swimmers) decided to swim across a nice bit of slow moving river (maybe 10m or so wide) cos it was a hot day. One got across fine and the other for some reason got into some difficulties, so the other went back. Both vanished under the water and drowned. Nobody knows what exactly happened between them deciding to swim across and then them both being found dead. I agree, people massively underestimate water and its dangers imo.
if you go down even just a little bit and then get caught in weeds you can be in deep trouble

also if it's a loan lunatic serial killer type then he needs to be caught quick sharp, there's a public safety angle of course. but i get what you're saying too.

i actually would want the police to get double the funding/staff they have, in general - very few people i know would say they want less not more police on the streets. my kids live in a crime ridden area, i wish there was more police presence. probably an unpopular view here.
I disagree that the police should have their funding doubled.

What should happen is that other services should be properly funded.

Police expend a lot of resources on eg dealing with mentally ill people. Mental health services should be better funded. There should be more beds for those who are seriously ill and in need of treatment, and also more clinicians hired to provide outpatient services, because 'care in the community' was just a slogan, rather than a reality, it was just an excuse to cut hospital beds, close hospitals, etc.

It was/is a false economy when you end up with cops turning up to deal with people who are experiencing mental health crises, which they're not really properly trained or equipped to deal with, and also dealing with attempted suicides and suicides.

There's also a big shortage of beds in detox/rehab units. Lots of people with substance mis-use/addictions want to get clean, but can't because the services are underfunded, there are too few beds to meet demand, it takes too long to access those services.

If it was easier and quicker to get treatment and support, demand for police resources to deal with public order offences, assaults, thefts, dealing and antisocial behaviour, etc, would be reduced.

Other services that need more money are social services and youth services. It would be better to spend money on interventions and preventative measures, rather than cops and youth offender institutions/prison places.

Those bright sparks in government reduce funding for local authorities, which in turn close youth clubs, and then you have lots of restless and bored youth getting up to no good.

Nowadays, we're getting more like the US, some schools here in the UK even have their own police officer and children are increasingly being criminalised for a bit of naughtiness - all the better to feed the prison-industrial complex.

In many instances, the demand for police results from a failure to invest and spend elsewhere.

You can continue to spend and spend on increasing police budgets, and no doubt many would support that, but it's not actually an effective use of resources.

When people campaign for, argue to 'Defund the police' many others misunderstand and think it's about letting chaos reign supreme, not fighting crime, etc. But it's about reallocation of resources, spending money on prevention, rather than cure, which isn't actually a cure, it's shutting the stable door after the horse has already bolted.

To extend that analogy, instead of increasing resources to chase horses that have bolted, maybe prevent them from bolting in the first place, spend money on keeping horses well fed, well looked after by vets when necessary, make sure the stable's in a good state of repair, etc.

Police expend a lot of resources on eg dealing with mentally ill people. Mental health services should be better funded. There should be more beds for those who are seriously ill and in need of treatment, and also more clinicians hired to provide outpatient services, because 'care in the community' was just a slogan, rather than a reality, it was just an excuse to cut hospital beds, close hospitals, etc.

It was/is a false economy when you end up with cops turning up to deal with people who are experiencing mental health crises, which they're not really properly trained or equipped to deal with, and also dealing with attempted suicides and suicides.

There's also a big shortage of beds in detox/rehab units. Lots of people with substance mis-use/addictions want to get clean, but can't because the services are underfunded, there are too few beds to meet demand, it takes too long to access those services.

If it was easier and quicker to get treatment and support, demand for police resources to deal with public order offences, assaults, thefts, dealing and antisocial behaviour, etc, would be reduced.

Other services that need more money are social services and youth services. It would be better to spend money on interventions and preventative measures, rather than cops and youth offender institutions/prison places.

Those bright sparks in government reduce funding for local authorities, which in turn close youth clubs, and then you have lots of restless and bored youth getting up to no good.

Nowadays, we're getting more like the US, some schools here in the UK even have their own police officer and children are increasingly being criminalised for a bit of naughtiness - all the better to feed the prison-industrial complex.

In many instances, the demand for police results from a failure to invest and spend elsewhere.

You can continue to spend and spend on increasing police budgets, and no doubt many would support that, but it's not actually an effective use of resources.

When people campaign for, argue to 'Defund the police' many others misunderstand and think it's about letting chaos reign supreme, not fighting crime, etc. But it's about reallocation of resources, spending money on prevention, rather than cure, which isn't actually a cure, it's shutting the stable door after the horse has already bolted.

To extend that analogy, instead of increasing resources to chase horses that have bolted, maybe prevent them from bolting in the first place, spend money on keeping horses well fed, well looked after by vets when necessary, make sure the stable's in a good state of repair, etc.

Funding the police and funding other important services whilst redistributing wealth are not all mutually exclusive or negate one another. tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime.

like the gambling den that operated on my kids street for years - causign all sorts of hellish grief for neighbours, kids with sleep less nights from teh shouting. sure, i would love to see the root causes of why that gambling den occured addressed in a more equal society, but i was also would have liked teh police to deal with teh problem instead of just ignoring it.

Bravo AnnO'Neemus Good post, good sense and I agree !

Back
Top Bottom