Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nicola Sturgeon's time is up

Police Scotland and the Procurator Fiscals' office have a big relationship with the Tories in London do they?
Just my opinion obviously but I feel you may be underestimating the reach of the Westminster establishment. They are genuinely alarmed by the independence movement in Scotland and will go to any lengths to trash it including dragging people's names through the mud. That and distracting from the vermin's woes. The Fail headline gives some indication:
1686566255379.png

Just my opinion obviously but I feel you may be underestimating the reach of the Westminster establishment. They are genuinely alarmed by the independence movement in Scotland and will go to any lengths to trash it including dragging people's names through the mud. That and distracting from the vermin's woes. The Fail headline gives some indication:
View attachment 378826

But again, the Daily Mail isn't a big influencer - you talk of 'the establishment' but fail to notice that 'the establishment' of London holds relatively little sway in Scottish political/cultural/legal circles - the Home Secretary carries some weight with regards to Counter-terrorism in Scotland, but that's a tiny proportion of the influence of policing and prosecuting that the Scottish Government, and therefore the Scottish political system has.

This stuff needs actual leavers of power - influence, loyalty, preferment etc.. not just hand-waving 'them'.

But again, the Daily Mail isn't a big influencer - you talk of 'the establishment' but fail to notice that 'the establishment' of London holds relatively little sway in Scottish political/cultural/legal circles - the Home Secretary carries some weight with regards to Counter-terrorism in Scotland, but that's a tiny proportion of the influence of policing and prosecuting that the Scottish Government, and therefore the Scottish political system has.

This stuff needs actual leavers of power - influence, loyalty, preferment etc.. not just hand-waving 'them'.
I was using the Fail as indicative of the narrative that Westminster wants to portray. I also think the influence is there but is not so obvious, I admit I have nothing actually solid to base this on but you can be sure that they don't want to lose the only nuclear submarine base if Scotland actually gains independence at some point; there may be other reasons as well, and don't you find it somewhat strange that the OB have gone to such lengths to pursue Sturgeon and by extension the SNP unlike the 'craven Met' faced with obvious corruption as you termed them?

I was using the Fail as indicative of the narrative that Westminster wants to portray. I also think the influence is there but is not so obvious, I admit I have nothing actually solid to base this on but you can be sure that they don't want to lose the only nuclear submarine base if Scotland actually gains independence at some point there may be other reasons as well, and don't you find it somewhat strange that the OB have gone to such lengths to pursue Sturgeon and by extension the SNP unlike the 'craven Met' faced with obvious corruption as you termed them?

Not really, I'd always hoped that the Met was an outlier in terms of the quality of policing...

Your thesis simply doesn't make sense. Indy is waning as an issue in Scotland, the SNP has lost much of its shine simply through the friction of being in government for nearly 20 years, it's under new leadership - a new generation of leaders? - none of whom have the charisma of Sturgeon or Salmond, and yet now 'the establishment', have sprung from their coil, merely years after the SNP/yes we're at the height of their danger to that establishment?

You don't think 2014 might have been a better time for this, or indeed any other time when the SNP were in a far better position than they've been over the last year or so?

View attachment 378826
It's not just independence, SNP policies are Hard Left Communism by their reckoning

You can't invite someone in for questioning without arresting them?
You can indeed. And the question that isn’t being asked - because it would be contempt of court to do so - is why she and others were arrested and not invited to attend questioning.

How the Scottish system differs from the English system I don’t know, since I don’t know the English system. But in Scotland you can be arrested for questioning; it doesn’t necessarily mean you are going to be charged at that point (or indeed ever).

You can indeed. And the question that isn’t being asked - because it would be contempt of court to do so - is why she and others were arrested and not invited to attend questioning.
thanks Danny - im asking it! it seems a highly politicised decision to use 'arrest' instead of an invitation then, allowing for every cunt newspaper to run ARRESTED headlines.

Isn't the thing that if you're arrested under Scottish law you're the subject of active police investigation and therefore speculation is off-limits as potential contempt of court? Not that I know anything about Scottish law but there's this:

Despite her release, police have said the case remains active for the purposes of the Contempt of Court Act 1981.
It means everyone has to be careful about what they say to avoid potentially prejudicing any future trial.
This applies to politicians and members of the public on social media as well as broadcasters and newspapers and the rules around what can and cannot be said about this - or any other - case are interpreted much more strictly in Scotland than in some other parts of the world.
Scotland is not the United States, for example, where pundits merrily speculate about the guilt or innocence of a suspect long before the case goes anywhere near a jury.
Convictions for contempt of court can be punishable by up to two years in prison and/or an unlimited fine.

Is that well known even in Scotland? So would ordinary law abiding people know that this was perhaps not as bad as it would be to the south?

Mate of mine (oooh klang as I drop the name ) explaining what 'arrest means under Scottish Law. Gives an interesting take on the suspension issue within the SNP.

Last edited:
I used to know her vaguely. She wrote some good pieces, but then took up the cause of transphobia and became almost 100% obsessed. Apparently all this would have been avoided if Sturgeon had come out as the lesbian she obviously is.

Nicola Sturgeon's time as a learner driver is up

Nicola Sturgeon passes driving test first time aged 53

Former first minister Nicola Sturgeon has revealed she has passed her driving test on her first attempt, aged 53. She told how she was taking lessons in March this year after stepping down as leader of the SNP. At the time, Ms Sturgeon said she had not made time to learn when she was younger as she was focused on politics.

Back
Top Bottom