Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nicola Sturgeon's time is up

My experience of what is a near on 50 50 split is it isn't the great unwashed vs professional/educated classes
Higher managerial and professionals are not 50% of the population. I did not say that unionists were more likely to be in higher managerial roles or professional roles. I said the reverse. And I said “more likely”, not “certain to be”.

I would imagine younger accountants and lawyers would tend to be more even balance or tend towards independence. Forbes being an example.

There's this article today:

Which begs the question, how was the motorhome purchased without Beattie being aware of it? Who authorised the purchase?
Fairly mundane answer: Beattie wasn't the Treasurer at the time it was purchased, Chapman was

Shit journalism from the BBC really. It's hardly a gotcha moment asking if someone who wasn't involved in the SNP finances at the time of purchase if they had 'signed off the purchase'. Would have been more newsworthy if he had signed off on the purchase.

Fairly mundane answer: Beattie wasn't the Treasurer at the time it was purchased, Chapman was

Shit journalism from the BBC really. It's hardly a gotcha moment asking if someone who wasn't involved in the SNP finances at the time of purchase if they had 'signed off the purchase'. Would have been more newsworthy if he had signed off on the purchase.
Surely though, he'd have seen the motorhome in the assets list in the accounts? Even if he wasn't treasurer at the time - chapman was in post for about a year iirc? - he should have known about it post-purchase?

Surely though, he'd have seen the motorhome in the assets list in the accounts? Even if he wasn't treasurer at the time - chapman was in post for about a year iirc? - he should have known about it post-purchase?

The just of the BBC story seems to be about a very specific question he was asked, i.e. did he sign off on the purchase - which he could only ever answer in the negative, a mundane and glaringly obvious fact which the media seems to have either wittingly or unwittingly blown out of proportion.

As for knowing about the ownership of it, then of course he did. After returning to the Treasurer role in May 2021, he signed off the 2022 accounts which shows tangible asset additions of £116k in the year (gross of depreciation), the lion's share of which is undoubtedly the camper van (but I suspect this wasn't the question he was asked, as there's no plausible way he could deny that, given he signed off the accounts - so while he may well be an idiot, he's not that much of an idiot, so I suspect this is more sloppy and misframed journalism rather than any kind of gotcha moment)

The just of the BBC story seems to be about a very specific question he was asked, i.e. did he sign off on the purchase - which he could only ever answer in the negative, a mundane and glaringly obvious fact which the media seems to have either wittingly or unwittingly blown out of proportion.

As for knowing about the ownership of it, then of course he did. After returning to the Treasurer role in May 2021, he signed off the 2022 accounts which shows tangible asset additions of £116k in the year (gross of depreciation), the lion's share of which is undoubtedly the camper van (but I suspect this wasn't the question he was asked, as there's no plausible way he could deny that, given he signed off the accounts - so while he may well be an idiot, he's not that much of an idiot, so I suspect this is more sloppy and misframed journalism rather than any kind of gotcha moment)
The Guardian is reporting it as 'Did you know about the motorhome', which is a broader question.

The Scottish Tories have put something out that basically amounts to 'pull the other one, Colin, it's got bells on'.

Suspect he's taking advantage of the sloppy line of questioning on this, Guardian just as sloppy on the subsequent reporting of it, they say:

Colin Beattie told journalists today that he did not know anything about a campervan paid for by the SNP when he was treasurer.

It wasn't paid for by the SNP when he was treasurer, he wasn't treasurer at the time the SNP paid for it, so would have had no knowledge about its purchase, at the time of purchase

They also say:

Asked by journalists in Holyrood if he knew about the vehicle purchase, Beattie said: “No, I didn’t know about it.”

I'm guessing he's taking a very literal line on this and saying he didn't know about the purchase, at the time of purchase, given his signature is literally on the same page of the accounts which discloses the value of it in the 2021 accounts, he's not that thick surely.

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 15.59.38.png

Suspect he's taking advantage of the sloppy line of questioning on this, Guardian just as sloppy on the subsequent reporting of it, they say:

It wasn't paid for by the SNP when he was treasurer, he wasn't treasurer at the time the SNP paid for it, so would have had no knowledge about its purchase, at the time of purchase

They also say:

I'm guessing he's taking a very literal line on this and saying he didn't know about the purchase, at the time of purchase, given his signature is literally on the same page of the accounts which discloses the value of it in the 2021 accounts, he's not that thick surely.

View attachment 372108
I know it's in the accounts, I said that last week.

Maybe Nicola bought it on her lunch break, parked it at Holyrood until home time, drove it to Dunfermline under cover of darkness, parked it there, told her in laws to 🤫, and got the train home.

Oh wait, he did know.

“Oh motorhome? I thought you said ‘shmotorshmome’. I don’t know what a shmotorshmome is.”

Ex-SNP treasurer now says he was aware of motorhome Ex-SNP treasurer now says he was aware of motorhome
'oh I didn't realise you meant that motorhome, I thought you meant that other motorhome...'

He's not looking good either way really, and this just makes him look like he was being obstructive/lying.

Back
Top Bottom