Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nicola Sturgeon's time is up

The Scottish Times is running with this on their from page today.

SNP fears Nicola Sturgeon arrest is imminent

Senior members of the SNP are braced for Nicola Sturgeon’s imminent arrest in the wake of detectives interviewing her husband and the party treasurer amid an investigation into party finances.

Senior MPs and MSPs claim it is “inevitable” that the former first minister will be interviewed under caution or as a witness in the coming weeks.

Sturgeon is the only senior SNP official named on the party’s most recent financial accounts who has not been arrested. The former first minister appears on accounts for the 2021-22 financial year as one of three registered officers, alongside Peter Murrell, the former chief executive, and Colin Beattie, the treasurer. It is understood she has not been spoken to by police but has previously said she would “fully co-operate” if required.

BiB - I guess it would make sense for that reason, but it'll still be a bigger shock than the other two arrests for the party.

Last edited:
I mean yeah, I expect she will be questioned but arresting her, on what they probably currently have? If the other two have been released without charge so far because more information is needed then I'm not sure if there's anything to be gained at this stage.

I'm not saying never address her, just is now the best time to do so?

I mean yeah, I expect she will be questioned but arresting her, on what they probably currently have? If the other two have been released without charge so far because more information is needed then I'm not sure if there's anything to be gained at this stage.

I'm not saying never address her, just is now the best time to do so?
Whether or not she's actually arrested soon,, if/when she is interviewed, it will surely be under caution, as cupid_stunt suggests?

(I don't know if there are differences between Scottish and English law in this regard which might mean I'm mistaken)

It's interesting how the OB in Scotland seem to be arresting SNP politicians and then releasing them without charge. It's almost as if there's no evidence of actual wrongdoing to be had, and yet the likes of the Mones are still swanning around over a year after the NCA directed raids on their various properties. It as if there was an agenda being directed from somewhere south of the border.

Um, I might be missing something essential but I am honestly baffled by this. I mean, £600,000 is not negligible but compared to Mone and Barrowman, the millions squandered during the pandemic, just about anything the foul Johnson had a hand in, Jenrick, Shapps (well, any of them), Robbing the donation funds and buying a swanky RV is dodge as fuck but the Tory scum have had their noses in the trough since forever...and seemingly consequence free.
The covid act suspended the existing oversight safe guards that exist when it comes to the spending of tax payers money...Hence what happened was 'lawful' the easy access fraudulent loans taxpayers took out maybe not so much.

This though ain't taxpayers money. It's the disappearance of 600k of easily taken advatage of bewildered Brits money.

Last edited:

Do you find that line of argument persuasive? It all seems very odd. The resignation of the auditors and the long silence about that certainly raise questions but may be largely the consequence of ongoing police investigation of complaints which were politically motivated in the first place.

I haven't been following this story that closely tbf - is this basically about donations to the SNP which should have been used in campaigning but were instead used for day to day costs ? Or has someone been on the take ?

Do you find that line of argument persuasive?
Jim’s a well-known activist and Labour Party member. He has no reason to be defending the SNP. He does write on police matters, especially regarding GRT rights. I’d call him a credible source.

I don’t have the knowledge of how police investigations work to know whether he’s right or not.
It all seems very odd. The resignation of the auditors and the long silence about that certainly raise questions but may be largely the consequence of ongoing police investigation of complaints which were politically motivated in the first place.
There’s for sure a lot of questions to answer for the SNP. There’s been rumblings about the unease over their finances for years now.

I haven't been following this story that closely tbf - is this basically about donations to the SNP which should have been used in campaigning but were instead used for day to day costs ? Or has someone been on the take ?
No suggestions of anyone being on the take. The allegation is that donations raised specifically for a referendum campaign were used on general party costs.

No suggestions of anyone being on the take. The allegation is that donations raised specifically for a referendum campaign were used on general party costs.
Thanks, pretty much what I thought - and tbf - that doesn't sound that bad - and the cost of the whole Police investigation seems grossly inappropriate over this sort of thing .

Last edited:
You're right but unlike, say, tory ministers giving lucrative contracts to their donors who have no prior experience and with no competitive tender. That's not fraud at all.
Or BBC chiefs arranging personal loans for you.

I have no sympathy for the SNP. They’re in a mess and regardless of the outcome of this investigation their melt down is a disaster area. But, that’s right, the contrasts in the way this is being pursued is interesting.

Or BBC chiefs arranging personal loans for you.

I have no sympathy for the SNP. They’re in a mess and regardless of the outcome of this investigation their melt down is a disaster area. But, that’s right, the contrasts in the way this is being pursued is interesting.
I agree - it now looks like Sturgeon resigned because she knew this was coming - so she had the leaving do she wouldn't have got had she resigned a few weeks later - but this does seem to be a massive deal for some accounting shenanigans - when the Tories misuse of public funds (not donations) is clearly a massive scandal that has been swept pretty much under the carpet.

It is suspected fraud - but at the end of the day, the SNP used it for party rather than campaigning purposes - they didn't buy sports cars , champagne and cocaine .

Yes I don't disagree it's small beer to other potential crimes a party of government could commit.

But on the other hand 600k of small donations to fund indyref2 campaigning or preparation should not be used to run the SNP's day to day business.

I suspect if I was an Indy support and I was happy with SNP government performance I probably wouldn't be too fussed as a strong SNP in government is surely better than not. But this is also basic accounting and budget setting..so if they fuck this up, or are dishonest about it, what else are they fucking up or being dishonest about?

You're right but unlike, say, tory ministers giving lucrative contracts to their donors who have no prior experience and with no competitive tender. That's not fraud at all.
As I said may have been if they hadn't considered covid times special circumstances and changed law accordingly...Nothing stopping next government conducting an audit and barring the iffyer ones from receiving future government contracts but that's about as much as can be done on that

Well ideally they'd go back to all of the donor's and ask them explicitly if they'd approve of the donations being transferred and if not, return the donations. Hard to do with lots of people but if it was via a crowdfunding website it should all be available.

But that's the run isn't it, do they have the money

yes I thought that, but also not something the tories do (quite possibly the others) with donations that turn out to be from the proceeds of crime.

Back
Top Bottom