Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nicola Sturgeon's time is up

Well ideally they'd go back to all of the donor's and ask them explicitly if they'd approve of the donations being transferred and if not, return the donations. Hard to do with lots of people but if it was via a crowdfunding website it should all be available.

But that's the run isn't it, do they have the money
If they had any sense* the websites in question will have had some small print that can be interpreted as saying “you are donating to a political party” or words to that effect.

*this is not proven.

this is also basic accounting and budget setting..so if they fuck this up, or are dishonest about it, what else are they fucking up or being dishonest about?
Whose to say they fucked up? Is it really a foregone conclusion? "100k on a campervan for granny" whereas it's in fact a legit campaign bus. Shit sticks though. So have they fucked up, or are they being fucked up, by those who want to return to bog standard two party politics?

Last edited:
Do you find that line of argument persuasive? It all seems very odd. The resignation of the auditors and the long silence about that certainly raise questions but may be largely the consequence of ongoing police investigation of complaints which were politically motivated in the first place.
I think people read too much into resignations. Like they're an admission of guilt/wrongdoing. Perhaps the stress of being under a police investigation merits stepping down. And it'd be best to step away from the public eye in that situation... To perhaps return once exonerated.

Whose to say they fucked up? Is it really a foregone conclusion? "100k on a campervan for granny" whereas it's in fact a legit campaign bus. Shit sticks though. So have they fucked up, or are they being fucked up, by those who want to return to bog standard two party politics?

If they spent 600k for indyref2 campaigning on paying SNP bills, that's the fuck up.

The campervan is a surprise twist.

I don't think this changes too much tho, as the SNP is unlikely to stop being the largest Scottish Party anytime soon, let alone the government. The next election is 2025 for Westminster and 2026 for Holyrood and 2027 for local councils. Till then they have the majority of MPs, MSPs and a plurality of councillors.

So I'm sure they can get their shit together before then

It's about optics - if the 'campaign bus' had SNP branding all over it, and was stored in an industrial estate in Blantyre then it looks legit. If it's a nice looking campervan and it's parked on the Chief Exec's mums drive, then it looks dodgy AF.

As ever, if you want to see what something looks like, take it out of its context and put it in another context, and see what your reaction is.

Imagine if a senior Army officer bought it from his Land Warfare Trials and Development budget, and it was parked on his mum's drive ?

Imagine if a Headteacher brought it to 'support school trips' and it was parked on his mum's drive?

Would that be 'ah, it's just muck-raking', or would that be more like 'get tae fuck pal, d'ya think I was fucking born yesterday?'...

It's about optics - if the 'campaign bus' had SNP branding all over it, and was stored in an industrial estate in Blantyre then it looks legit. If it's a nice looking campervan and it's parked on the Chief Exec's mums drive, then it looks dodgy AF.

As ever, if you want to see what something looks like, take it out of its context and put it in another context, and see what your reaction is.

Imagine if a senior Army officer bought it from his Land Warfare Trials and Development budget, and it was parked on his mum's drive ?

Imagine if a Headteacher brought it to 'support school trips' and it was parked on his mum's drive?

Would that be 'ah, it's just muck-raking', or would that be more like 'get tae fuck pal, d'ya think I was fucking born yesterday?'...
I don't really buy the parallel considering the Army and Schools are both owned by the state, and have plenty of land in the organisation's name to store the organisation's vehicles.

Also why pay someone to store it on an industrial estate, if you have a free alternative?

I never actually heard about Murrel's arrest until a few days after it happened. It was buried in the news about Trump's court case across the pond.

Well Trump is expected to use his various court cases to his political advantage. The yanks love a good outlaw.

That wouldn't happen in Scotland, but if/when the police don't have a leg to stand on and can't charge anyone, or else charge people but then the fiscal throw it out, or even if it goes to court and they're found not guilty.. Then it could well work to the SNP and/or nationalism's advantage

The police and unionism would have egg on their face. And Sturgeon would be respected for handling it all with dignity.

It may be a long and drawn out process though, during which time the SNP and the indy movement may become damaged due to paranoid infighting.

I don't really buy the parallel considering the Army and Schools are both owned by the state, and have plenty of land in the organisation's name to store the organisation's vehicles.

Also why pay someone to store it on an industrial estate, if you have a free alternative?...

I think that fundamentally ignores the central point - they are all cases where someone is given other people's money to spend in support of the aims of the organisation they are responsible for/to, and they then spend it on something that, at the least, looks like it has nothing whatsoever to do with supporting the aims of the organisation, and a great deal to do with shiny things for their own use.

I read somewhere (naturally don’t know where) that the camper van apparently never moved
Neighbours were quoted as saying that. I’m not remotely surprised. I don’t for a moment think it was for personal use. It was bought for party campaigning but was never needed. The cops clearly think it was bought with money people donated to the referendum appeals.

Yes I don't disagree it's small beer to other potential crimes a party of government could commit.

But on the other hand 600k of small donations to fund indyref2 campaigning or preparation should not be used to run the SNP's day to day business.

I suspect if I was an Indy support and I was happy with SNP government performance I probably wouldn't be too fussed as a strong SNP in government is surely better than not. But this is also basic accounting and budget setting..so if they fuck this up, or are dishonest about it, what else are they fucking up or being dishonest about?

Technically it's more..Had to resign over having been dishonest about number of people leaving the party and then had to help the police with their inquires

Neighbours were quoted as saying that. I’m not remotely surprised. I don’t for a moment think it was for personal use. It was bought for party campaigning but was never needed. The cops clearly think it was bought with money people donated to the referendum appeals.

The parents time share in Portugal that they use does tend towards not for personal use... of course they don't holiday in Scotland they fuck off to Portugal instead

Well someone has to do it!

Times report that "SNP insider's" think they'll need to get auditors from outside Scotland as none of the Scottish forms want to do it
Not surprising. First, it’s a poisoned chalice. But secondly, accountancy firm partners are exactly the sort of person who would be unionists.

Back
Top Bottom