Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

5:2 Diet book author and TV presenter, Michael Mosley, missing

RIP - I can think of a few things that were in retrospect foolhardy I’ve done at home and abroad that could have ended in misadventure too.

I’ve never heard of him before (but then I don’t really watch tv) and my only other experience of the 5:2 diet was my friend saying for a laugh she was on it, as she was consuming 5 grams of coke and 2 grams of MDMA per week (possible exaggeration)

That diet may help you lose weight too tbh

This seems like the appropriate thread to share the story on given his credentials are being savaged :hmm:

Lol, I always thought the 5:2 diet was "eat a sensible amount of calories 5 days a week then eat what you like for the other two days?" I mean, I think most people do this naturally anyway. Have some treats at the weekend sort of thing and then just eat sensibly the rest of the time? So in my mind I was doing this diet without even trying :D

But nope - you're supposed to barely east for 2 days a week? Fuck that! I like my version better... It's also more fun & sustainable. ;)
You need to patent that and write it up as a book - sounds better than most food strategies

If a GP recommends shit and dangerous diet advice, that is both on the GP and on the shit and dangerous diet advice. Both are culpable.
And the GP is not responsible for checking?

While a diet maybe harmless in someone who has no underlying medical problems it could be in someone who's diabetic so should be carefully monitored. That is the fault of the GP. Not sure how you can blame a book when it can't interact with you. :hmm:

Lol, I always thought the 5:2 diet was "eat a sensible amount of calories 5 days a week then eat what you like for the other two days?" I mean, I think most people do this naturally anyway. Have some treats at the weekend sort of thing and then just eat sensibly the rest of the time? So in my mind I was doing this diet without even trying :D

But nope - you're supposed to barely east for 2 days a week? Fuck that! I like my version better... It's also more fun & sustainable. ;)

Honestly broadly where I ended up after sacking off all the diet types... I do a bunch of meal prep for weekday stuff, have set meals as much for convenience/time as much as anything else. Then weekend for trying new recipes etc. Haven't been healthier in a very long time.

You need to patent that and write it up as a book - sounds better than most food strategies
And this is my bugbear. Reasonable diet advice (and lifestyle advice for that matter) for the average healthy person only needs a few words and should not require a book to tell you such. So in my opinion, anyone writing a book to give such advice is a reprehensible grifter.

And the GP is not responsible for checking?

While a diet maybe harmless in someone who has no underlying medical problems it could be in someone who's diabetic so should be carefully monitored. That is the fault of the GP. Not sure how you can blame a book when it can't interact with you. :hmm:
I blame the writers and the publishers, not the book itself.

Edited because I messed up the quote

And this is my bugbear. Reasonable diet advice (and lifestyle advice for that matter) for the average healthy person only needs a few words and should not require a book to tell you such. So in my opinion, anyone writing a book to give such advice is a reprehensible grifter.
so that’s the average healthy person taken care of. What about everyone else?

Last edited:
Responsibility needs to be taken bybthe

so that’s the average healthy person taken care of. What about everyone else?
I’d still be very wary and would not rely on any one book or non-medical source for dietary advice. Especially if written by anyone who calls themselves a nutritionist, but isn’t qualified to call themselves as such.

I'm only really aware of him for some of his documentaries on exercise and drugs, which always seemed pretty well researched - but his diet books and tv series do look pretty dreadful.

From wikipedia:

Michael Hugh Mosley[1] was born in Calcutta, India, on 22 March 1957.[2][3] His father was a banker and his maternal grandfather an Anglican bishop.[4]

Mosley attended a boarding school in England from the age of seven.[4] He studied Philosophy, Politics and Economics at New College, Oxford, before working for two years as a banker in the City of London. He then decided to move into medicine, intending to become a psychiatrist, studying at the Royal Free Hospital Medical School, now part of UCL Medical School.[5] He qualified as a doctor, although did not practise.[6]

Career​

After studying at the Royal Free Hospital in London, and having become disillusioned by psychiatry, Mosley joined a trainee assistant producer scheme at the BBC in 1985.[5]

So basically, a well-connected upper middle class public schoolboy who had the luxury of trying his hand at loads of professions before settling on 'TV medical expert' despite never actually practising.

No-one forces anyone to buy these sorts of books. Plenty of books out there that don't amount to much.

Jebus? he wrote two didn't he? The 40/40 diet (very dangerous) and 'How to fish for 5000', which also doesn't work for everyone apparently.
Very few things work for everyone. I was put on gabapentin for pain and it had no effect (or side effects) on me even at double the recommended dose.

Shocked by this news. I worked with him for a week on a series of public events back in 2012. He was a very charming, dynamic and naturally inquiring man :(

13462264.a482b226.jpg

:(

It is shit... I'm sure he was a genuinely decent man personally. It's just that having been through the ringer of diet culture in the UK, it's hard to see the people who helped create the framework as, well, people.

Back
Top Bottom