Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nicola Bulley Missing

Teddington, by any chance?

It was quite well documented some years ago. The lad who got across went back for his mate and got dragged down. Both pissed.

No, not them. Both were stone cold sober and it was the middle of a warm day. They think one maybe got cramp and then grabbed the other and then both went under. It was seen but the people watching didn't even think it looked dramatic as they both went under with little splashing and never came back up, not even once.

I nearly drowned on holiday in Devon - I was just two metres from the beach but the tide kept pulling me out and I only just managed to get enough energy to get to dry land after a good 45 mins of hard swimming. If it happened now I'd never get out. I've had a fear/deep respect for water ever since.

I nearly drowned on holiday in Devon - I was just two metres from the beach but the tide kept pulling me out and I only just managed to get enough energy to get to dry land after a good 45 mins of hard swimming. If it happened now I'd never get out. I've had a fear/deep respect for water ever since.

Same happened to my mom.

The main difference was that there was a lifeguard on duty. Dad yelled and the lifeguard rescued my mom.

No, not them. Both were stone cold sober and it was the middle of a warm day. They think one maybe got cramp and then grabbed the other and then both went under. It was seen but the people watching didn't even think it looked dramatic as they both went under with little splashing and never came back up, not even once.
I remember watching something, can’t remember what exactly but it showed a person drowning isn’t the one flailing, it’s much less dramatic as you say.

While we're on the subject this is worth a read:

Peden says it’s natural for parents not to think twice before entering the water to try to rescue a child “in the heat of the moment” but having that second thought can make the difference between life and death.

The first possibility is simply to call for help if others are around. Then, crucially, if you do go into the water alone, “taking something that floats – a boogie board, a pool noodle, an eski, they might have a two-litre bottle of drinking water – anything that can hold air”.

“You’ll need that flotation when you perform the rescue."

While we're on the subject this is worth a read:

Peden says it’s natural for parents not to think twice before entering the water to try to rescue a child “in the heat of the moment” but having that second thought can make the difference between life and death.

The first possibility is simply to call for help if others are around. Then, crucially, if you do go into the water alone, “taking something that floats – a boogie board, a pool noodle, an eski, they might have a two-litre bottle of drinking water – anything that can hold air”.

“You’ll need that flotation when you perform the rescue."
What is a boogie board - not to mention a pool noodle and an eski?

I was searching for a YT video I once saw that explained that as a cause of death, women drowning while doing laundry in rivers competed with infectious diseases centuries ago and I sadly came across recent news items about several women drowning in India when doing the same thing - with the rescuers also drowning ...
That terrible case of those children falling through ice has given me regular food for thought as I walked around the frozen park lake - which I now know to be quite deep ...
Even though I'm confident that even 10 years since I last swam, I would be fine going into the relatively cold ocean on holiday, would I wade into icy water to save someone ?
Accidentally falling in fully clothed is going to be a whole different thing especially if you bang your head on the way... and looking at that river on GE, the banks are quite steep ...
You should reconsider how fine you'd be in relatively cold water after a decade

Reckon getting a dry bag (hi vis inflatable bag for wild swimming/triathlon) is probably a good idea if you're going to be spending much time around water. Obviously not going to stop you falling into a canal pissed, but for some of those boat stories etc would probably have been a life saver.

e2a: though, I mean if you're going to be on a boat, ideally get a life jacket.

I never go in the sea without being attached to a body board.
Those floating dry bags sound like a good idea if going to swim alone so you can take your clothes and stuff with you ... (including GPS / phone / VHF)

I spend a lot of time waist deep in rivers. It's when I'm most alert. You always need to be aware of the rapid changes that can happen very quickly in a freshwater river. One minute you can be fishing a still pool in tranquil surrounding the next minute you realise it's raining 40 miles away in Snowdonia and it's time to go home.

Back
Top Bottom