Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New age cosmic hippies and the far right

Politics on Facebook are as prone to crappness as is anything else on Facebook. The sorry truth is that most people's political opinions are fairly unpalatable, but usually you don't get to hear them. Holding up a Facebook group to the light to check for, er, political correctness (for desperate want of a better term) is bound to end in dissapointment.

Likewise the whole hippy thing. It was a widespread counter-culture fashion from the 60s. Some of the physical and cultural fashions are kept alive in pockets. Most of which are crap and pointless, but to dismiss it's impact (both positive and negative) is a mistake.

started on it Butchers, some time ago. Aint got a printer to print it out. Have watched a lot of his lectures though and like him very much. Thanks to you and others for putting me onto him.

started on it Butchers, some time ago. Aint got a printer to print it out. Have watched a lot of his lectures though and like him very much. Thanks to you and others for putting me onto him.

You can always buy it, probably cheaper than the printer ink required to print it off the net!

Well he repeats the lie about Obama's birth cert and believes 9/11 was "an inside job". He also believes in chemtrails, the man is a grade A nut. Exactly the type of nut I'm on about.

He is FAR more whack about Obama than just that. His beliefs about 9/11 aren't conventional conspiranoid either. He certainly has never said anything I would take to be of a far right nature though.

He is FAR more whack about Obama than just that. His beliefs about 9/11 aren't conventional conspiranoid either. He certainly has never said anything I would take to be of a far right nature though.

You need to develop some critical faculties.

He hangs around with noted far-righter alex jones...

Is that why he said "Alex Jones is an arse.....he is chicken licken' (a reference to Jone's relentless negativity).... I don't know why he had me on his show"?

He has talked about Jones a fair bit, it aint very flattering on the whole.

They have both Austin, Texas based and have crossed each others paths. "hangs around" is really stretching it.

Funny how a lot of these new age cosmic types espouse extreme right wing ideas under the guise of peace and love innit? There's loads of 'em all over the Occupy Facebook pages.

There's one called "Quintessence Healer",who says they are "Here to help the earth as a Light Worker, which i like to call Gaia Consiousness.", yet has this to say about immigrants "What rights do you serve when you dont even Belong here, You only care about your own Countries.... Your all Scum. And you know what your doing.... Your here to try and Push the U.K Population Out of Work......".

It's often these types pushing the anti-Jewish stuff too.

its because hippies are fucking wankers , everyone knows that .

Rather a lot of hippy/loon bollocks at that bank of ideas place. What gives? Zeitgeist meeting next sunday, then hulahooping, clowns, green spirituality, sacred circle, drumming, singing and sharing circle with Amber etc etc. But the Sound Healing with Voice and Tibetan Singing Bowls with Bliss Balance do has been cancelled.

I spent a 6 months hanging out with some very cosmic hippies types in a farm house oop north.
It wasn't great for my dress sense, but I never saw any evidence of racism. :D :confused:

Rather a lot of hippy/loon bollocks at that bank of ideas place. What gives? Zeitgeist meeting next sunday, then hulahooping, clowns, green spirituality, sacred circle, drumming, singing and sharing circle with Amber etc etc. But the Sound Healing with Voice and Tibetan Singing Bowls with Bliss Balance do has been cancelled.

Easy to mock all this stuff, but it does enrich a lot of people's lives (or some of it does). I had a go on a set of African drums at one of these Mind, Body and Spirit festivals in Devon and came away wishing I could afford a set.

I don't have the right temperament to be a hippy (afflicted Mars or something), but I do think the hippies brought us something valuable in the '60s.

Anti-hippy sentiment is the only prejudice I subscribe to (at least that I'm aware of) and I think it's a perfectly rational hatred. They all went on to be corporate overlords anyway.

I always operated according to the maxim never trust a hippie and it helped me a lot. I have met some pretty tasty characters who have propounded on some pick and mix hippy philosophy let slip out of the corner of their mouths and that is all well and good. It is when someone carries their hippiedom on their sleeve that it is well to be aware.

They managed to make LSD appear boring. Recreational use was first propounded and acted upon by the likes of the merry pranksters- who were hardly hippies.

huh ? Kesey, though older, was an original proto hippy, as was Dean Moriarty in 65' ( having made the transition from original Beat) ' - long hair and loons were a couple of years away, and only defined 'hippy' if viewed through the prism of mass media and the marketing men that followed .

huh ? Kesey, though older, was an original proto hippy, as was Dean Moriarty in 65' ( having made the transition from original Beat) ' - long hair and loons were a couple of years away, and only defined 'hippy' if viewed through the prism of mass media and the marketing men that followed .

Quite. Never did get the way in which hippy was used/defined in this thread. Seems a catch-all for long-haired people whose activities offend lefties and crusties.

Kesey was a raver. He was to some extent the anti-thesis of the Leary LSD as tedium book of the dead bullshit set and setting tantra stupor inducing hippy void. Re-read the electric kool-aid acid test and arts kleps accounts of milbrook and compare and contrast.

And Neal Cassidy was hardly a hippie. Watch the film of him on the bus and you realise maan.

Kesey was a raver. He was to some extent the anti-thesis of the Leary LSD as tedium book of the dead bullshit set and setting tantra stupor inducing hippy void. Re-read the electric kool-aid acid test and arts kleps accounts of milbrook and compare and contrast.

And Neal Cassidy was hardly a hippie. Watch the film of him on the bus and you realise maan.

Ginsberg was probably the closest to it of that bunch. But as for the claim that hippies all became corporate overlords - how about, say, Richard Alpert (aka Ram Dass), Stephen Levine, one of the founders of the "conscious dying" movement, Bo Lozoff (who does a lot of work with long term prisoners), or Stephen Gaskin, founder of The Farm community in Tennessee in the 1970s and who later went into politics.

You've got to love someone who said as part of their campaign for the U.S presidency in 2000 that peace conferences should start by passing around a bong. Yeah why not; couldn't be any worse than all the jockeying and obfuscation which goes on now.

Then there's Stewart Brand, author of the Whole Earth Catalog and oner of the founders of the Long Now foundation, whose aim is to get us to think far more long term in the way we manage our affairs and relate to the Earth. Don't write them all off just because you don't like Richard Branson.

Back
Top Bottom