Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Farage is right about NATO. Sorry

Fwiw I don't really like the expression 'red-brown', I prefer just to use the term 'people who insist they support far-left politics but frequently express opinions more usually associated with the far right' but it's quite a mouthful.

What farage seems to be doing anyway is more like the mirror of that, but I suspect it'll attract as much support as it repels (albeit from different political directions). He may have miscalculated and fucked himself, but somehow I doubt it.

Fwiw I don't really like the expression 'red-brown', I prefer just to use the term 'people who insist they support far-left politics but frequently express opinions more usually associated with the far right' but it's quite a mouthful.

What farage seems to be doing anyway is more like the mirror of that, but I suspect it'll attract as much support as it repels (albeit from different political directions). He may have miscalculated and fucked himself, but somehow I doubt it.

The latest polls do seem to suggest a slight miscalculation. But maybe he’s betting that he’ll stay relevant in the long term this way.

Oh, Farage isn't going away anytime soon. Was laughed at before for suggesting (half in jest) but would it be entirely beyond the realms of possibility to see him and Starmer trading barbs at PMQT a few years down the line?

It's just a more niche, perhaps more accusatory version of horseshoe theory.

Oh, Farage isn't going away anytime soon. Was laughed at before for suggesting (half in jest) but would it be entirely beyond the realms of possibility to see him and Starmer trading barbs at PMQT a few years down the line?

Yes, it would be.

Farage is a bit of a marmite character, but hated by a hell of a lot more people, then those that love him.

Yes, it would be.

Farage is a bit of a marmite character, but hated by a hell of a lot more people, then those that love him.

A reverse takeover of the Tory party is plausible. Less so than before he went full Putin, but still on the cards. I agree he’d be unlikely to win any elections.

I disagree, too many Tories hate him, it's only a tiny number of headbangers that think he could be the answer to their problems.

The problem of not being the official opposition would be a serious one, to which he would be the only plausible answer. Not that I think it’s likely that the Tories will get fewer than 80, or that Reform will get more than two. Just plausible.

The problem of not being the official opposition would be a serious one, to which he would be the only plausible answer. Not that I think it’s likely that the Tories will get fewer than 80, or that Reform will get more than two. Just plausible.

In what way would Farage be "the only plausible answer" (or indeed any sort of answer) in the unlikely event that the Tories fail get the second highest number of seats and therefore aren't the official opposition?

In what way would Farage be "the only plausible answer" (or indeed any sort of answer) in the unlikely event that the Tories fail get the second highest number of seats and therefore aren't the official opposition?

Because the membership, the constituency party structures, are not Stewart, or Cameron, or Tugendhat, or Rudd - they are Truss, and Patel, and Rees-Mogg, and Farage - indeed amongst the membership, Farage is far more popular than any of the others.

The media they consume is not the Times and the FT, it's KGB News, the Torygraph, and the Express.

It's simple. If the Tories lose - whether narrowly or to the point where they cease even to be the Opposition - the membership will not believe that it's because they became a loonfest of incompetents who became completely divorced from public opinion by going down a hard right wing rabbit hole of conspiracy and circle jerks, but because they didn't listen hard enough to 'the real people' and KGB News, etc...

They will genuinely believe that if Flange had been leader, with Reform policies, they'd have won.

Doesn't matter how Crack-fuelled that sounds to everyone else on the political space, but thats what they believe.

Because the membership, the constituency party structures, are not Stewart, or Cameron, or Tugendhat, or Rudd - they are Truss, and Patel, and Rees-Mogg, and Farage - indeed amongst the membership, Farage is far more popular than any of the others.

The media they consume is not the Times and the FT, it's KGB News, the Torygraph, and the Express.

It's simple. If the Tories lose - whether narrowly or to the point where they cease even to be the Opposition - the membership will not believe that it's because they became a loonfest of incompetents who became completely divorced from public opinion by going down a hard right wing rabbit hole of conspiracy and circle jerks, but because they didn't listen hard enough to 'the real people' and KGB News, etc...

They will genuinely believe that if Flange had been leader, with Reform policies, they'd have won.

Doesn't matter how Crack-fuelled that sounds to everyone else on the political space, but thats what they believe.

Assuming for the moment that this is true and that the majority of the Tory membership believe that if Farage had been leader with Reform policies, they would have won the election, how will this belief be turned into specific concrete political action?

Assuming for the moment that this is true and that the majority of the Tory membership believe that if Farage had been leader with Reform policies, they would have won the election, how will this belief be turned into specific concrete political action?

The scenario I’m pointing to, which has already been discussed at length, is one where the LDs would be the official opposition unless Reform MPs took the Tory whip, thus getting their joint numbers into second place. The only reason they would do so is that Farage would then have a shot in a leadership election. If he was able to come second in the MPs’ vote, he’d be odds-on with the membership, for all the reasons Kebab has explained.

If the Communists at the Bank of England hadn't intervened all of Liz Truss' enemies would have been homeless and not able to vote

This is the existential problem the Tories have right now. The aging members are mostly bat shit crazy who think Farage is good, if a bit liberal, whereas the backers and beneficiaries of Conservative goverment and wealth re distribution ( the very rich and large corporations) are basically neoliberal globalists.

Ha de ha ha…

Back
Top Bottom