Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ministers target July 4th for reopening of England’s pubs and restaurants

My answer is we just shouldn't have opened pubs etc this soon, not more testing of people working in them etc.
Problem is also that this stuff needs to be joined up, and that's a big task in itself. So all staff are tested before coming back to work, but all those who test positive get two weeks' full sick pay, automatically, no questions. But then what if they're on a zero-hours contract? There would need to be protection against that, and all the other shitty work practices that employers get away with in this country.

Not saying that the government hasn't had a part to play in creating that dynamic, but people's behaviour seems to be the sticking point with lots of this.

Pub I went to Saturday and today makes you write your name and number on a pad at the bar. Was there at 1pm today, sat outside, went inside twice to the bar that contained me and the barman and once to the bog. If someone comes in tonight and tomorrow comes down with lurgy and tells the pub about it then I will be told to isolate. I won’t though. Is that me being a cunt or the government being fucking useless?

Last edited:
Pub I went to Saturday and today makes you write your name and number on a pad at the bar. Was there at 1pm today, sat outside, went inside twice to the bar that contained me and the barman and once to the bog. If someone comes in tonight and tomorrow comes down with lurgy and tells the pubs about it then I will be told to isolate. I won’t though. Is that me being a cunt or the government being fucking useless?

Surely you would only get a call if you were in the pub tonight, not hours before?

That's odd, the pub I went to yesterday was logging times, which is common bloody sense.

Sounds like your pub is run by idiots TBH.

I think the idiots are running the country. The pub is doing the bare minimum required by law. Why should they do more, they are publicans, they are responsible for selling booze, the health of the general population is a matter for ministers of HM’s government?

I think the idiots are running the country. The pub is doing the bare minimum required by law. Why should they do more, they are publicans, they are responsible for selling booze, the health of the general population is a matter for ministers of HM’s government?

Actually no, they are responsible for the health & safely of their staff & customers, over & above their job of selling booze or anything else, just like every business is.

Why should they do more

I'd argue it's irresponsible not to, but there's also crude self-protection. Make it as easy as possible for the T&T people to stamp on any local outbreak, in case it swells up enough to provoke a local lockdown or just scare people into staying at home - either of which could bankrupt you.

Last edited:

I am forming the opinion that the Tories are pitching to blame the working class for their failure.

Went to the pub last night. Didn't need to book and they didn't take names, now i think about it. Anyway, it was better than i thought. Had to stand behind a line at the bar to order and it was table service indoors. Staff had masks on and passed us a tray with the drinks that we unloaded and then gave them back to clean. Thought I'd be more nervous but it was really ok. We stayed outside for most of the night but went in for about an hour at the end. Would go again (but maybe not on a Saturday night).

My answer is we just shouldn't have opened pubs etc this soon, not more testing of people working in them etc.

The fact that Johnson pulled the date '4th of July' out of his arse what was it, over a month ago and then stuck to it regardless makes a mockery of the notion that they're responding to the actual progress of the pandemic.

Still, the good news is the weather here in Cornwall is utter shite and looking likely to stay that way until the weekend, so all those arseholes who piled down here in their range rover sports first chance they got will be having a shit time of it :thumbs:

The fact that Johnson pulled the date '4th of July' out of his arse what was it, over a month ago and then stuck to it regardless makes a mockery of the notion that they're responding to the actual progress of the pandemic.

Yep, like the ending of the quarantine for arrivals in to the UK, they knew the whole thing was bobbins and far too late and no one was actually doing it cos there were no systems in place to enforce it, so when they announce the date to end it they said 10th July, to make it look like it was backed by evidence rather than face saving bullshit. Arrive in the UK tomorrow then you must isolate for 2 weeks, arrive the day after and you're free to go about your business, cos the virus is taking some time off from Friday or something...

Still, the good news is the weather here in Cornwall is utter shite and looking likely to stay that way until the weekend, so all those arseholes who piled down here in their range rover sports first chance they got will be having a shit time of it :thumbs:
Arrived in Cornwall (Bude) on Sunday morning for 'housesitting' holiday of sorts. Weather has been pretty shit for sure :facepalm: but have walked round a lot of the town and the campsites are not even half full. Likely next week will be a lot busier but this week the beach/shops/pubs/streets have been very quiet, even when the sun was out.

Have managed a pretty decent tan somehow

Arrived in Cornwall (Bude) on Sunday morning for 'housesitting' holiday of sorts. Weather has been pretty shit for sure :facepalm: but have walked round a lot of the town and the campsites are not even half full. Likely next week will be a lot busier but this week the beach/shops/pubs/streets have been very quiet, even when the sun was out.

I'm about ten miles away from you then. If you like, you can pop round and I'll tell you to fuck off in person ;)

Last edited:
I'm about ten miles away from you then. If you like, you can pop round and I'll tell you to fuck off in person ;)
Ah, shame I did not know. We could have had a pint and pretended to like each other irl :thumbs: am heading off to the Shire (Hertfordshire) tomorrow.

Might get the free holiday housesitting gig for another week or possibly two so will come coughing knocking

Arrived in Cornwall (Bude) on Sunday morning for 'housesitting' holiday of sorts. Weather has been pretty shit for sure :facepalm:

Not sure how you managed that, if Cornwall has been anything like SW Wales, finding any sunshine this week must have been a real challenge :(

Forecast in most places from Saturday onwards and for next week is cracking by comparison ;)

So I went to a restaurant last night as it was my g/f's birthday. Its just a little independent local restaurant. All in all it was a really good night and I felt pretty comfortable with their covid precautions. The tables were spaced out nicely with just some tables removed that were previously in the middle of the room. Had it not been for the all the waiting staff wearing masks it could have seemed like normal.

I've not ventured into a pub yet. It seems like another step on from a quiet restaurant full of couples talking in low tones.

I had a very nice evening in the pub last night. Table booked for 6 to 9pm but wasn't needed as the place was empty. Social distancing was easy. We could have ordered drinks to the table but the app was playing up so used the bar.

I'm glad I did it but have no desire to go back any time soon. Definitely not on a Friday/Saturday because if it had been busy it would have been impossible to avoid people.

Back
Top Bottom