Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pubs open

Mrs tag is vegetarian. It's difficult finding more than 2 veggie things on most pub menus and it's often a veggie burger or something like salad if lucky. I have just trawled through the menus of about 30 local, walking distance pubs and there is little to choose between them. I guess this is what comes from living in a Youngs town. I have ignored all the local spoons. The best local, a Harvey's is/was a superb ale drinking hole which might not be reopening. What's worse is the most agreeable menu is a few miles away in an ok riverfront pub except it's Greene King. It's so bloody depressing.

Just got back from meeting up with a friend from work who took early retirement last year. He booked a table at All Bar One (Not my choice) on Regents Street.

£5.95 for a 330ml bottle of Peroni 😳 As I don't normally drink at All Bar One is this a normal price or have they bumped up the price to try and recover some of the lost revenue from the last year?

Just got back from meeting up with a friend from work who took early retirement last year. He booked a table at All Bar One (Not my choice) on Regents Street.

£5.95 for a 330ml bottle of Peroni 😳 As I don't normally drink at All Bar One is this a normal price or have they bumped up the price to try and recover some of the lost revenue from the last year?
Combination of location/All Bar One/bottle...? (Should've gone to one of the Sam Smith's pubs instead -- Glasshouse Stores/The Cock would cover both ends of Regents St...)

Combination of location/All Bar One/bottle...? (Should've gone to one of the Sam Smith's pubs instead -- Glasshouse Stores/The Cock would cover both ends of Regents St...)

Normally I'd go to The Angel (My 'local' for the last 25+ years) just of Tottenham Court Road. Curious to see if they've raised their prices, drinking out again looks like it's going to be expensive.

Ooh. West End pubs, Blue Posts, The French, Crown and two Chairmen (back in the 90s, Record of The Fortnight every Thursday), Nellie Dean used to be good until the refurb and change of management, the Star and Garter. And of course, The Toucan and the Coach and Horses. I would love a pub crawl in Soho.

RIP Intrepid Fox as well.

There's a parrot next door, and I'm going to take the fifth.
Just looked it up and can live over 50 years so I hope this is the one from the IFox.

Used to drink in most of these pubs in the late 80s as I worked at (and had the keys which was handy if I got too pissed) to No 1 Wardour St overlooking Leicester Square.
Jeffrey Bernard was still a regular in the Coach & Horses before he lost a leg & the stroppy landlord whose name I have forgotten.

There were three Blue Posts in those days.

The company I worked for had a membership for the Drinking club above the hairdressers next door but one if you wanted a drink in the afternoon when the pubs shut or very late night.

Just looked it up and can live over 50 years so I hope this is the one from the IFox.

Used to drink in most of these pubs in the late 80s as I worked at (and had the keys which was handy if I got too pissed) to No 1 Wardour St overlooking Leicester Square.
Jeffrey Bernard was still a regular in the Coach & Horses before he lost a leg & the stroppy landlord whose name I have forgotten.

There were three Blue Posts in those days.

The company I worked for had a membership for the Drinking club above the hairdressers next door but one if you wanted a drink in the afternoon when the pubs shut or very late night.

"My" Blue Posts was the Berwick Street one. Another one was on the other side of Shaftesbury Ave. A haunt with my mates from Cafe De Paris. Think I may have been in the Kingly St one once or twice.

Went to a few decent shebeens as well... some memorableish evenings.

Mine Was most often the Rupert Street/Court one.

It was my first proper job & looking back it was a bit odd. You were allowed to go for 'Breakfast' when the pubs first opened but only for ten minutes but most of the managers were to be found in various pubs during the afternoon & the cashier used to drink in the blue Posts & insist if I went to get tea & coffee that I bought all my own shopping for the week on the company. Nearly everyone went to the pub at lunchtime & if it was your birthday you could have the afternoon in the pub with people from your department sent to keep you company during the afternoon.

Looking back I can see where it started to go wrong. :D

He seemed to be rude to everyone who went in there, without exception.

I think I already knew when I first went in though, that grumpy rudeness was going to happen. Friends had warned me.

So I wasn't too shocked.

Dublin’s Pintmen would take some keeping up with. Dinner or no dinner.

My dad and his brothers were serious drinkers , 20 pints a session was a regular thing (Irish of course). His favourite spot for a pub was next door to a bookies .

Just returning from my first pub visit for maybe 18 months. Virtually empty. Table service only but thoroughly enjoyable. After the first pint or two the pandemic wasn't mentioned and it was just like normal life chatting away about everything else. Didn't realise how much I'd missed it. 🍻
I appreciate table service is necessary but I like to take a look at the pumps to get a feel for what beers are on. Staff often forget or don't know anything about them. :(

I appreciate table service is necessary but I like to take a look at the pumps to get a feel for what beers are on. Staff often forget or don't know anything about them. :(
The pub had a really nice system. QR code on the table took your phone to their website which had their complete menu (including beers) and you could just order there.

Back
Top Bottom