Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pubs want to halve the two metre rule

Is it time to start a thread about pubs with gardens (and a decent pint). They will be few and far between in London. Also, having a fully open garden is totally different, I imagine to one that's nearly covered with awnings. Guess I might have to spread my wings down towards Surrey, which will help from keeping the virus spreading in London.

Back in the UK I have been to more utterly shite beer gardens than good ones tbh. No idyllic views of the countryside or the smell of fresh cut grass or the sound of barges on canals. Tarmac, car parks, industrial bins, rotting tables , noisy air con machines and metal beer cannisters stacked up, normally walled in.

We need some photos

1590148294980.png

1590148578621.png

1590148737169.png

1590148800834.png

1590148979742.png

I totally understand why everyone here is saying they'd not be going back to pubs for a while but I'm going to buck the trend a bit.

I think I would go back if they open in July but only to places that you could reasonably socially distance and certainly wouldn't go into a crowded place, not because I would be scared but because I'd think they are not taking their responsibilities correctly. I'm not worried about me and have not been from the start. I'm pretty sure I've already had it and if I get it again so be it, I'm in a pretty low risk group and have no dependents.

Thing is I am seeing so many reports saying the virus is going to be around for a long time, possibly forever and we're just going to have to learn to live along side it and this is no way to live a life, for me anyway. If it was possible to say 100% that keep everything shut until the end of the year and then we'd effectively be virus free then I'd happily go along with it. To be honest though, who's to say we won't be in exactly the same position this time next year? Its not just pubs its many things and I don't want to live like this but equally I don't want to do something reckless.

All the way along I followed the official guidance because its obviously not about me its about everyone. I don't want to be responsible for making matters worse but also I am not a scientist and I'm not going to try and second guess science I don't understand. If the Government proceed with relaxing of Lock-down including pubs I think I will go along with that though I fully understand why so many are saying 'no way'.

Still, its all a long way off and a week is a very long time in this pandemic let alone months. Who knows what the landscape will look like in July / August?

Couldn't quote this the other day but I agree totally. Pubs for good or ill, are basically my social life. My place to go of an evening to unwind. I live in a flat, no garden, not one for sitting in parks so in the summer, I'll have a pint outside a pub.

A hugely Spoons PR puffpiece, that :hmm:
But anyway.....

Setting aside the usual and justified general anti-Wetherspoons/anti-Tim Martin stuff, their 'spokesperson' quoted in that article appears to be assuming that pubs across the UK will be able to open employing a uniform approach to cleansing, distancing, etc.
But an awful lot depends on how Scotland/Wales/NI continue (correctly, IMO) to take a different, more cautious approach than England.
I also notice that the article doesn't at any point mention timing, so the headline is misleading in that respect too.

Much as i like the idea of pubs re-opening I concluded it'll be a bit crap even if they have a big beer gardens. It'll be swamped with people and the queues for the bar & toilet with social distancing will make it feel like a badly organised festival.

Brockwell park is like a big piss up these days so I think parks and BYO is the way forward.

A hugely Spoons PR puffpiece, that :hmm:
But anyway.....

Setting aside the usual and justified general anti-Wetherspoons/anti-Tim Martin stuff, their 'spokesperson' quoted in that article appears to be assuming that pubs across the UK will be able to open employing a uniform approach to cleansing, distancing, etc.
But an awful lot depends on how Scotland/Wales/NI continue (correctly, IMO) to take a different, more cautious approach than England.
I also notice that the article doesn't at any point mention timing, so the headline is misleading in that respect too.
As much as dislike Tim Martin the measures to protect both staff and customers proposed at least offer a starting point for union negotiating.

Being a Londoner finding a pub with a view other than the obvious riverside pubs is not easy. Two of my most memorable would be The Botley Hill Farmhouse near Tandridge and I think the other is The Spotted Dog out Edenbridge way. The SD is a Bastard to find but the views out the back over the world of Kent is something else. Both do good food and are both independent, but much more importantly, both do a nice drop of ale.

Much as i like the idea of pubs re-opening I concluded it'll be a bit crap even if they have a big beer gardens. It'll be swamped with people and the queues for the bar & toilet with social distancing will make it feel like a badly organised festival.

Brockwell park is like a big piss up these days so I think parks and BYO is the way forward.

That's my concern too.

Half of two metres could be facilitated, roughly, by use of special glasses.

Bob-Hawke-1200x900.jpg

Re yards of ale :

I had a go at one of those once complete disaster .

I don't think I've seen a yard in action since myself and some fellow youths (all 18 or 19) took it in turns to have a go -- full one for each of us four! :eek:
(Fuck knows why the landlord allowed it and served us four of them! :confused: )

Results : predictably and utterly embarassing for each one of us :oops:
Yards are an utter nightmare to get right.

William of Walworth said:
A hugely Spoons PR puffpiece, that :hmm: [Yorkshire Post article -- link in @Badgers ' post earlier]
But anyway.....

As much as dislike Tim Martin the measures to protect both staff and customers proposed at least offer a starting point for union negotiating.

Good point, but I really hope the unions have some actual say in this -- I've no idea whether/to what extent Wetherspoons staff are unionised??

Back
Top Bottom