Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do we want a thread for people who haven’t had covid?

i thought we had a thread for that already...

as i've said somewhere else on here, i've never tested positive for covid, and i'm still testing occasionally (although now only if i'm about to go and visit mum-tat who's in her 80s)

i had something flu-like in early february 2020 so it's possible i did the hipster thing and had covid before it was mainstream.

i also had something that matched a lot of the symptoms of whatever variant was going around in autumn 2021, i went for a PCR test at the drive through place, got a negative result by text message, then a few weeks later got another text to say the test had been done at the dodgy lab that was giving false negatives but it was too late to do anything about it by then.

i don't know if there's a test i can take to see if i have had covid, or if it would do anyone any good if there is.
Oh god yes I’d forgotten about those dodgy PCR tests. The litany of fuckups is so long!

I had something horrible in late jan / early feb of 2020 too, but I think that occurred when I wasn’t as frequently exposed to lots of people. Unlike a friend who was cleaning planes at Heathrow that winter, and got a weird flu in January.

I'm surprised that 15% haven't had it. I've only not had it because I don't go out and I'd assumed it was a much more exclusive club. There goes the idea
You do not know this.

As you know I'm frontline NHS worked all the way through the pandemic and have been fully living an active social life for the last year. Clubbing, gigs, parties, festivals- still continuing to work.

I've never had it.
I've been tested a few times for antibodies- in April 2020 and about 3 months ago. No naturally acquired antibodies but evidence of vaccine acquired antibodies.

Also neither my son, who has similarly been living his life and working, or my dad have had it.

I think we might be in the 15%.

Think it's unlikely that I've had it but technically it's possible. Never had symptoms. Was rarely going out much at all, been wearing a FFP3 mask and avoiding crowds whenever I have. Started going out a bit more now lately, being as careful as possible but there's always a risk. When I went out for the first time in ages, I was quite shocked to see only a few people wearing a mask, even indoors, cos the last time it was still the norm. But what I don't get is so many people coughing without covering their face, even when they're right next to others.

Yeah there was an opportunity for some cultural shifts around coughing and snotting everywhere, presenteeism when sick, wearing a mask when unwell but ambulatory. Pissed away.

Yeah there was an opportunity for some cultural shifts around coughing and snotting everywhere, presenteeism when sick, wearing a mask when unwell but ambulatory. Pissed away.
I'm not sure it's pissed away. I'm gonna refuse to go to work if I'm symptomatic. Pretty sure my 'allowance' will allow it. I'm lucky, I also have more options to WFH if mildly ill.

I probably should wear a mask more than I do!

I’ve still never tested positive despite my family having had it at least twice, probably three times.

By "family" do you mean your household family (partner, kids, etc) or your direct relations (mum, dad, siblings)?

As far as I'm able to ascertain, I've never had it and neither have any of my direct relations (although they've been out and about less than me, I've been on the trains and tube almost every workday for over a year now). Other than them and one other person who's a close friend, I don't think I know anyone else who hasn't had it. My partner's had it at least once (first possible was before widespread testing was available).

I'm doubly lucky I think - as well as seeming to have some familial resistance to it, I was going to be put on immunosuppressants shortly before the pandemic kicked off (which obviously kiboshed that idea pretty damned sharpish).

Seems like a very different situation to have not knowingly had covid despite working more “front line” roles vs having not been exposed to other peoples expired breath very much.

For a lot of people I know, having it and it be pretty mild and apparently no longer term effects (yet) was a massive relief.

Sometimes feel a bit like… hmm I still don’t know what this thing would have done to my system. But then it’s such early days even now. Seems like the course of a prior infection has no bearing at all on what happens with the next.

As yet no positive diagnosis. Just done penultimate LFT.

Wouldn’t be surprised if I’ve had it or I’ve now got it - headache and little bit of niggly cough today.

I haven't had it because I've made a very conscious effort not to compromise my biosecurity.

Masks, hand sanitiser, avoiding places like buses...

If I catch this thing it isn't likely to go well, that said, the most recent variant, although very transmissible, doesn't seem to be making people as ill. I dare say vaccination has helped with that.

I have been on two five hour plane journeys, and am off to London by train on Thursday, but that really is the riskiest behaviour on my part.

My boys, their dad and grandad all tested positive in the last ten days. My daughter and their stepmum who share the house haven't got it. Wondering if their immune system is just better because Sophie has been going back and forth on the bus to Glasgow and mixing with a lot more people generally (students - gigs, pubs etc) and stepmum goes out to work so sees more people, public transport etc. That or this particular strain only gets men :hmm:

As far as I know, I've never caught it. I got sick one Christmas while visiting family, but my LFT was negative along with the LFTs taken by my sister, her partner, and my nephew. My mum was also present and was required to take a PCR test in order to return to Ireland. Her result was also negative.

If I have had it, then in all cases it has been sufficiently asymptomatic for me to not notice it amongst all my usual physical ups and downs; maybe it just makes me feel a little tired, and I attributed that to not getting enough sleep or whatever.

I must say that apart from that bug I got at Christmas, I haven't really fallen ill with anything since the start of the pandemic. I've never been terribly social and I've been working from home the past few years, so it seems plausible that through various behavioural and lifestyle changes, I have reduced my exposure to infectious pathogens in general.

Either way, I have reasons to feel pleased with myself. Either I'm sufficiently careful to avoid infection, or my immune system is sufficiently adept at dealing with the virus that it doesn't really bother me.

By definition, you wouldn't notice an asymptomatic infection, but you could still have it without knowing it and spread it far and wide - I hate this stupid disease, it'd be a fuck of a lot easier for everybody if every infected person developed spots or turned green or something.
At least its made more people than before aware that this is how a bunch of other diseases work too. eg long before this pandemic, even though the research was a bit limited in certain ways, it was estimated that a large proportion of influenza cases were asymptomatic. This is why I was far from convinced in the early months of the pandemic when authorities tried to use claims about a lack of asymptomatic cases as an excuse to not respond to the pandemic strongly, only to later turn round and say 'if only we'd known the truth about how much asymptomatic covid there was'. Very unimpressive behaviour from the powers that be, and some experts that should have known better too, clear bias against believing inconvenient possibilities which had huge ramifications they didnt want to deal with.

As for me, the virus still hasnt had very many theoretical opportunities to get me, and so its unlikely I've had it yet. And if I have had it then it was either too mild to notice or was genuinely asymptomatic, but on the balance of probabilities given my circumstances I probably just havent had it at all yet. I sort of expect to get it in the next 6-12 months as my circumstances change.

As for me, the virus still hasnt had very many theoretical opportunities to get me, and so its unlikely I've had it yet. And if I have had it then it was either too mild to notice or was genuinely asymptomatic, but on the balance of probabilities given my circumstances I probably just havent had it at all yet. I sort of expect to get it in the next 6-12 months as my circumstances change.

Are you concerned about long covid at all? That's the thing about this virus that really concerns me, especially since I've read reports even people with asymptomatic infections can get it.

Are you concerned about long covid at all? That's the thing about this virus that really concerns me, especially since I've read reports even people with asymptomatic infections can get it.
One of my main sources of paranoia about catching Covid has been long Covid. If I succumbed to that, then as a self-employed person I would be absolutely and utterly screwed, and even apart from the impact on my income, the various projects I'm an instrumental part of would be likewise screwed. It doesn't bear thinking about.

On a personal level I have concerns in that respect, but am forced to adjust to an ever increasing extent because of the way wider society and the rest of my family have started moving on. I'm still rather keen not to be exposed to the virus but I also consider that neither of my parents who are in their 70s have had it yet either. My brother who has type 1 diabetes has had it twice this year and didnt seem to suffer anything other than mild short-term consequences. His son, my 10 year old nephew, has developed several long term health conditions during this pandemic, type 1 diabetes and asthma. I do not exclude the possibility that there is a link between the pandemic and the triggering of those conditions, and I was alert to those sorts of possibilities before they happened in this case. (eg he likely inherited a genetic susceptibility to type 1 diabetes which then just required a trigger such as a particular type of infection), but I was powerless to alter the chain of events so I had no choice but to come to terms with this side of life. Having spent most of my life quite aware of such things, especially via my borther developing type 1 diabetes as an adolescent, I had plenty of time to come to terms with these aspects of life long before this pandemic even arrived.

I had a sort of 'long glandular fever' when I was 21 but the consequences were quite narrow compared to what some people experience with long covid. I was never quite the same again, but I cannot claim that it completely ruined my health.

More broadly on the societal and global level I remain consistently unimpressed with the extent to which these other potential consequences of the virus were ignored at every opportunity. I only 'gave up' on things like zero covid because it was so clear that most countries were not going to bother with that or anything that leaned to any extent towards erring on the side of caution. And there are limits to how craxy I am prepared to drive myself having arguments that I wont win. I expect a permanently changed public health picture as a result of these failings, both in terms of long covid but also the other increased risks to health which are now being noticed. For example several people drew attention recently to an FT article about that, and it was sadly no surprise at all to me (archive.ph as mentioned in posts such as Long Covid and General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat ). It is too early for me to say whether such things will eventually lead the court of public opinion to judge that a terrible mistake was made on that front, with everyone looking back with much regret, or whether disinterested shrugging will continue to dominate. In the meantime I will occasionally rant at how easily people conclude that Chinas ongoing 'zero covid' approach is batshit, as if our own extreme opposite approach is entirely sane and proportionate (eg witness me droning on at length in the world pandemic thread the other week).

Ultimately people make judgements about where the sense of balance should be, about what they consider to be proportionate and appropriate. Even in the acute phase of the pandemic there were plenty of distorted, ignorant opinions about that, and so its no surprise that once people decided we were getting beyond that phase of the pandemic, other aspects of life and death end up in the driving seat.

Last edited:
My uncle was very worried about getting long covid before he finally caught covid a few months back. He was fine and never mentions it now. I'm not sure if there are any statistics about how often covid develops into long covid? I don't know anyone that got long covid though and i know loads of people that got covid (including me).

My uncle was very worried about getting long covid before he finally caught covid a few months back. He was fine and never mentions it now. I'm not sure if there are any statistics about how often covid develops into long covid? I don't know anyone that got long covid though and i know loads of people that got covid (including me).

Thing is, even if one's first bout with covid doesn't result in long-term health issues, that doesn't mean that subsequent encounters won't present any problems. Maybe the first infection(s) didn't leave any notable lasting damage, but the next infection(s) could well add on enough damage to make it noticeable afterwards. It presents as a respiratory infection, but it seems to really do a nasty number to one's vascular systems. That kind of damage seems especially difficult for the body to repair.

Technical quibbling about whether it should be categorised as a respiratory or vascular disease is ongoing, eg see COVID-19: Respiratory or Vascular Disease?

Ultimately it doesnt really make much difference to most of us how it is classified, as long as the full range of potential consequences are identified and dealt with as best as possible, and so long as any errors of classification dont badly get in the way of research, understanding and treatment.

As for future long covid risks and how people should weigh up the threat to their health, that stuff is always going to depend on how individuals were used to dealing with such risks in their lives in general. It is to be expected that attitudes will change once a person has experienced the virus at least once for themselves. And there is only so much that people can do to guard against risk individually, people are going to be guided by broader societal attitudes and behaviours. The direction of travel in this country is very clear, but in theory it could change again in future if something happens that causes the masses and/or the authorities to reevaluate, if it becomes obvious that a new response is required. Winter will affect the balance, and likely each year we will have to wait and see whether vaccination campaigns against both covid and flu are deemed to be enough on their own. For many people, getting vaccinated when asked will be their primary risk mitigation response, will fulfil any psychological requirement they have to feel like they've responded to the risk appropriately, given themselves a fair chance of not suffering the worst possible consequences.

My partner's just recovered from their second (possibly third) dose of covid, likely caught on a plane; thankfully it was relatively mild and over in a day and a half with no lasting effects. I once again have tested negative for a week afterwards despite remaining in close proximity the whole time, so as with the other thread I'm reasonably certain now that I'm one of the immune.

Hopefully now I can get back to my hobbies of doorknob licking and recycling used tissues without too much of a fuss.

Back
Top Bottom