Votes: 112 53.8%
  • Had covid-19 once

Votes: 63 30.3%
  • Had covid-19 more than once

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 14 6.7%

• Total voters
Been to some gigs in the last few weeks, still AFAIK, negative.

I've had a an on / off mild annoying headache recently but I think this is hayfiever again + not sleeping properly.

Saving the handful of LFTs for if I get symptoms. But since they seem to now include any kinda not feeling 100% fuck knows.

Funnily enough still no. Funny because we spent an afternoon yesterday in A&E with my wife almost being admitted with suspected meningitis (would be the second time) then probably not but maybe west nile virus? Or something but still covid negative. At least we're at home now anyway. My wife gets all sorts but not the one that's actually causing the pandemic right now wtf :confused: :D

I still tell people I haven't had it, because to the best of my knowledge I haven't.
But it's seeming pretty unlikely really.
iCTkR3Z.png

I still tell people I haven't had it, because to the best of my knowledge I haven't.
But it's seeming pretty unlikely really.
iCTkR3Z.png
Wow! Doesn’t sit very well with the survey at the top of this thread, which currently has 65% “never had it“.

So somehow they got from the ONS infection survey to an estimated % of population who’ve had/not had it.
irrc that survey works by testing a random sample of the pop on a weekly?daily? basis, using PCRs. I’m guessing some of us who haven’t had it as far as we know, might have been asymptomatic with it & never knew cos we weren’t taking PCR tests. Or maybe it’s the combo of urban being culturally slightly at odd with the country as a whole (no idea how to assess that realistically tho & not keen to start a debate about it here) plus the self-selection bias from the thread title.

I’ve wondered whether there’s a way to tell if your antibodies have come from exposure by infection or by vaccination. I don’t think there’s a way to tell?

So somehow they got from the ONS infection survey to an estimated % of population who’ve had/not had it.
irrc that survey works by testing a random sample of the pop on a weekly?daily? basis, using PCRs. I’m guessing some of us who haven’t had it as far as we know, might have been asymptomatic with it & never knew cos we weren’t taking PCR tests. Or maybe it’s the combo of urban being culturally slightly at odd with the country as a whole (no idea how to assess that realistically tho & not keen to start a debate about it here) plus the self-selection bias from the thread title.

I’ve wondered whether there’s a way to tell if your antibodies have come from exposure by infection or by vaccination. I don’t think there’s a way to tell?
I believe there is. When I did an antigen test, quite some while back, they were very clear about the fact that they could distinguish antibodies acquired via natural infection from those arising from vaccination.

I already responded to that older post of yours at the time, explaining that what you had heard in the news in regards stuff from the ONS was nothing to do with antibodies, it was estimates based on the household PCR sampling done for the ONS infection survey, added up to cover the entire period of the pandemic that their infection survey had been active for.

The ONS do an antibody thing too, which gives figures far above the 70% you had heard about, their figures come out only a little below 100%. However their figures as routinely presented dont differentiate between infection and vaccination based antibodies. For example a few days ago they offered this:

But yes, I also explained that there are antibody tests which can differentiate between antibodies from vaccination and those from infection.vaccination. Specifically, Roche N picks up antibodies from infection only, and Roche S picks up antibodies from infection/vaccination. These can be found in the weekly vaccine surveillance report. See the details on pages 41 to 43 of this document for example:

eg:

Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 17.43.47.png
Limitations of that data include that its from blood donors so not a perfect reflection of the entire population, that it is a little out of date, and that antibody levels are expected to fall over time, and are expected to be different in people that have already been vaccinated before getting infected. So this data is unlikely to properly capture all infection-related antibodies since the very start of the pandemic. eg that document says stuff like this:

Seropositivity estimates for S antibody in blood donors are likely to be higher than would be expected in the general population and this probably reflects the fact that donors are more likely to be vaccinated. Seropositivity estimates for N antibody will underestimate the proportion of the population previously infected due to (i) waning of the N antibody response over time and (ii) observations from UKHSA surveillance data that N antibody levels are lower in individuals who acquire infection following 2 doses of vaccination. These lower N antibody responses in individuals with breakthrough infections (post-vaccination) compared to primary infection likely reflect the shorter and milder infections in these patients. Patients with breakthrough infections do have significant increases in S antibody levels consistent with boosting of their antibody levels.

That sort of things explains why there is quite a difference between the infection-induced antibodies shown in this data, and the estimates for how many poeple have had Covid during the pandemic so far which are obtained via a different, non-antibody method entirely. And its the non-antibody stuff that people are most likely to have seen in the news in recent weeks. A lot of those news items were based on the following article from April 22nd: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey technical article: Cumulative incidence of the number of people who have tested positive for COVID-19, UK - Office for National Statistics

Last edited:
I quite fancy doing an antibody test but not sure I can justify £37 when there's no real need for it, for me, atm.
I expect my reason was the same as your "fancy doing" that it would give some sense of security going forward that i'd had it and it wasnt even bad enough for me to realise and that any second infection would likely also be non - serious, need is something else entirely

That was quick - only posted the sample yesterday.

Natural infection - negative
Vaccine ABs - positive, >2,500U/ml

Pretty decent level of ABs - their breakdown is listed as:

1652368630712.png

Last edited:
Up until a few weeks ago I was doing two LFTs a week as required for my job. Always negative, despite the fact I work in what is basically a giant petri dish.
We're only small, 22/23 staff, but only 1 staff member has not now had it.
Wow! Doesn’t sit very well with the survey at the top of this thread, which currently has 65% “never had it“.
The Have you had Covid recently thread suggests 1 in 3 Urbs have had it recently (last 4 months). I'd say that's pretty high (though obviously skewed a bit because of thread name).

Where can I send for one of these tests- I'd rather get one from a tried and tested source then from a random manufacturer.
I got it from here.

You can get two covid tests - one for checking whether you've had the virus, and one for checking ABs from the vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom