Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do we want a thread for people who haven’t had covid?

My mum's gone down sick with it now so that's everyone in my family had it at least once.

Not as far as I'm aware - never done any tests but I've not had any of the symptoms.
I know plenty of people who have, often more than once so I've been very lucky (touch wood :D )

Perhaps people might find this article interesting:

Its not bad, its probably a useful primer, but still treat it like a casual magazine piece. eg its areas of emphasis and areas it downplays are influenced by the couple of experts who were talked to for the piece. And dont place too much weight on the authors 'instincts'. Cast the net of possible explanations a bit wider than he does, and dont be so quick to throw away the more obscure or exotic possibilities. eg the frequent exposure to snotty kids stuff may be applicable to some of you or people you know, and it fits well with the way teachers of young kids have joked about their own hardened immune systems for many decades. But its true proportions in the grand scheme of things might in theory be easy to overemphasise, the most convenient explanations arent necessarily the largest factors in the true full picture, and ascertaining the true extent of such factors isnt trivial.

I worked from home for a long time which reduced my likelyhood of getting it, then I was almost hermit like in my social interactions, and had all the vaccines when available, I suppose I could have had it asymptomatically - how would I know? - but no I don't think I have had it.

However, I am more relaxed about it now, yet people I know are still getting it so I might yet come down with it.

Perhaps people might find this article interesting:

Its not bad, its probably a useful primer, but still treat it like a casual magazine piece. eg its areas of emphasis and areas it downplays are influenced by the couple of experts who were talked to for the piece. And dont place too much weight on the authors 'instincts'. Cast the net of possible explanations a bit wider than he does, and dont be so quick to throw away the more obscure or exotic possibilities. eg the frequent exposure to snotty kids stuff may be applicable to some of you or people you know, and it fits well with the way teachers of young kids have joked about their own hardened immune systems for many decades. But its true proportions in the grand scheme of things might in theory be easy to overemphasise, the most convenient explanations arent necessarily the largest factors in the true full picture, and ascertaining the true extent of such factors isnt trivial.
I attribute most of the reason behind my Covid virginity to having very little contact with children, or with those who do have contact with children. It's not an active choice, just how it's worked out. There may be more to it than that, but I'm not counting on it!

Me too - and I'm still sticking to my hypothesis that when I worked at the university, I was mostly not client-facing, so was forever getting exposed to broken viral fragments handling IT equipment - in advance of encountering viable virus - for all their high level of education, my colleagues were very careless with sneezing ...
I'm pretty sure I got the actual flu every year without fail, but it was - apart from once in 2013 - a very moderate version (maybe two sneezes and flat out for several days but without reduced appetite) until it coincided with advancing years and metabolic problems ... even in 2013 I got back on my bike after 8 days - even though I had hardly eaten.

I haven't been able to confirm this anywhere ...

It's getting my 30 year old niece down at the moment .. the common factor in my family is almost certainly her 8 year old and she's been asking about magic vitamins to "boost her immune system" .. .
My BIL is my age and not in the best of health and he avoided it until recently.
I'm amazed at my 87 year old mother's resilience in that regard.

Last edited:
I'm the last person I know not to officially have had covid. My sis and a colleague (both who hadn't had it) succumbed to it over Xmas.

I attribute most of the reason behind my Covid virginity to having very little contact with children, or with those who do have contact with children. It's not an active choice, just how it's worked out. There may be more to it than that, but I'm not counting on it!

b2cbd3982360fc70f7dfd0e9536535dd.jpg

:p

and i still qualify for this thread as never having tested positive for covid (although with a couple of possibles, one from before testing, and one involving that dodgy lab who sent me a negative result)

i'm not testing so often now, only when i'm going to visit mum-tat

ETA - mum-tat hasn't had it either, she is 80+ in variable health, she kept going out to an absolute minimum during lockdown and hasn't really got back in to going out much since.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, the only person I know who hasn't had it now is my younger brother, who has heart disease (he's been awaiting a triple bypass for ages) and Type-1 diabetes, and so has to be ultra-careful. He moved to a rural area quite a while before Covid, but it's been beneficial to isolating himself. Not sure I'd like to be in his situation, mind, seeing few people apart from his partner (who is luckily in good health), on a permanent basis, at least until Covid goes away. And even then there are other viruses that are probably more of a threat to him than for most.

He seems ok in himself, but the days of his 20s, when he was considered in our social circles a bit of a 'babe magnet' (and no, I wasn't jealous...), must seem like a distant dream to him.

Still not had it here.
We went back to face-to-face lectures quite early compared to most places and have been teaching ever since.

I think I'm about the only person I know now who hasn't. My daughter and girlfriend both had it in December.

In the last couple of weeks, people seem to have been dropping like flies with Covid. My usual thought process starts with "have I had contact with that person?". The answer is usually "no", but there have been a couple whom I was around, yet I still appear to have managed to hang on to my Covid virginity. I am guessing it's only a matter of time...

still covid free if the tests are right (i'm only testing every month or so, before i go to visit mum-tat)

but slightly sore today round top of my arm, where i got the covid jabs (last booster was before xmas)

maybe the microchip is downloading a lot of updates today?

:p

My GP insists that they've not had covid. Every time I'm there, they say, "I've not had it yet" and then they beam from ear to ear.
Last time, I responded by saying, "maybe you were asymptomatic?"

Maybe they actually know as I do because they have done antibody tests?
That's possible.
Although if they were doing antibody testing I'd have thought they'd have been able to do mine instead of me having to get it done in the hospital.

I worked at a public facing job all the way through lockdowns, went to a few gigs after lockdowns and have been travelling for the last 5 months. I've been on every type of public land, sea and air transport imaginable in those 5 months, waited in various ports and terminals for all of them, eaten out every day of those 5 months, stayed in all sorts of accommodation and I still haven't had it. Food poisoning and various colds, yes (negative covid tests for each) and still nothing. I've either been absurdly lucky or asymptomatic.

Back
Top Bottom