• Yes - other vaccine

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • only having the Flu one

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • not having either

Votes: 12 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I got covid for the second time last winter and feel a bit nervous about this winter. I'd quite like to get the booster. I'm in my forties though, and not classed as clinically vulnerable - though as far as I'm concerned having Long Covid that has caused serious disability means I should be. I know that on a population level there are a reasons why they set the limit at 50 but I don't think it would be a terrible thing for me as an individual to get the bivalent booster. Is there a way to get a booster privately does anyone know? Googling doesn't turn anything up, which suggests it isn't possible, but I thought I'd see if anyone knows differently.

Googling with particular attention to results from services that offer other vaccines privately indeed tends to result in "no, the vaccines are only available on the NHS".

Googling with particular attention to results from services that offer other vaccines privately indeed tends to result in "no, the vaccines are only available on the NHS".
It's a bit weird. You'd think by now vaccine supply would mean the NHS needn't keep a monopoly.

What's also weird is that I can't be categorised as clinically vulnerable. But Long Covid isn't in that list, and while doctors have wide discretion to do what they like, what they actually like to do is follow NICE and NHS guidance to the letter, and getting them to do anything else is like talking to a brick wall.

It's a bit weird. You'd think by now vaccine supply would mean the NHS needn't keep a monopoly.

What's also weird is that I can't be categorised as clinically vulnerable. But Long Covid isn't in that list, and while doctors have wide discretion to do what they like, what they actually like to do is follow NICE and NHS guidance to the letter, and getting them to do anything else is like talking to a brick wall.

If you think that's weird, my mother is in hospital and they will not give her the covid booster and flu jabs, because the GP holds the budget, yet they will not let the GP's nurse into the hospital to jab her, a high risk patient, in a high risk environment, is being refused the very protection the government & NHS tells us we should get.

This situation in now in the hands of our MP, and the local rag is looking to run the story, which I hope will get picked-up by the nationals, because it's fucking bonkers.

Pfizer yesterday morning, finally, after making and cancelling loads of appointments because of realising the next day wasn't a good one to feel rough.

Awful night's sleep, shattered and freezing cold today. The heating having a rare boost up to a decadent 20 degrees. Hopefully it's passing now though.

I'd say my worst reaction since the first dodgy astra zeneca one.

Speaking with a guy I know in Wiltshire; he & his OH have just had their Autumn Boosters a couple of days ago.
He's fine ( as usual) but OH - who is about 12 weeks post Knee Replacement (& having "issues" with that) - has had quite the reaction, but that is now confined to redness and a distinct lump at the injection site. Both had Bivalent Pfizer, so I suggested that he "yellow carded" the reaction.

what age cohort are they currently doing? I've not had a reminder. my wife had hers about 6 weeks ago albeit she is in a diffeernt age group. .

According to the NHS website -

You can have a seasonal booster dose (autumn booster) of the COVID-19 vaccine if you are:

• aged 50 or over
  • pregnant
  • aged 5 and over and at high risk from COVID-19 due to a health condition or a weakened immune system
  • aged 5 and over and live with someone who has a weakened immune system
  • aged 16 and over and a carer, either paid or unpaid
  • living or working in a care home for older people
  • a frontline health and social care worker
How to get a booster dose of the coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine

I had my booster yesterday, I'd have gone a few weeks ago but I caught COVID and had to wait before getting my booster.
No side effects other than a slightly sore arm.
She said she could do my flu jab at the same time but it would have to go in the other arm, so I opted to go back next week for that as I sleep on my side and having both arms sore will prevent sleep!

This one was a Pfizer jab, so I've won at the vaccination bingo, OH is pissed off because he hasn't had a moderna one yet (that one gave me "covid arm", which is the only issue I've had with any of the vaccinations so far, and that was uncomfortable and irritating for a couple of weeks but not serious).

She said she could do my flu jab at the same time but it would have to go in the other arm, so I opted to go back next week for that as I sleep on my side and having both arms sore will prevent sleep!
I had them both at the same time, I didn't get a sore arm. No side effects to speak of in fact.

I had them both at the same time, I didn't get a sore arm. No side effects to speak of in fact.

I always get a bruise from vaccinations and find it difficult enough to have a comfortable sleep without both arms bruised.

EDIT to add: It might be because I have EDS I am more prone to soft tissue damage and inflammation. Anyway I know what I can cope with and an injection in each arm would have been disruptive to my sleep, so I'll go back in a week for the flu jab.

Ok, this Is weird. Yesterday I showed up to get my booster jab. Was told I was being given “the new Pfizer which also protects against omicron and new variants”, all good so far.

Today I check my medical notes via the online system we have over here in Sweden and the entry for yesterday says I’ve been given “VaxigripTetra” influenza vaccine! :confused: So now I don’t know if the nurse simply clicked the wrong button on the system and I was actually given the covid shot (most likely) or if something more weird has happened and she’s given me the flu jab instead of the covid one.

I guess since the system thinks I haven’t had my covid booster I would be free to make a new booking in a couple of weeks and get another covid shot, but would it be dangerous to get two covid vaccine jabs close together, if she did actually give me the correct pfizer one yesterday?
This got solved eventually when the nurse phoned and said it was a mix up and that ihad indeed been given the covid booster as I was told on the day in question. I believe her too, as my wife’s had covid for a week now and I have not so much as a sniffle. It was the new Pfizer which I had, and based on a poll of one, it really works.

Back
Top Bottom