Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Food Shortages

Can’t say it is particularly bad here. Yes there are some empty fridges/shelf spaces in the supermarkets but unless you are focused on specific brands or product line types, then there are plenty of perfectly acceptable alternatives, esp if you are able to cook. All the staples are well represented.

Can’t say it is particularly bad here. Yes there are some empty fridges/shelf spaces in the supermarkets but unless you are focused on specific brands or product line types, then there are plenty of perfectly acceptable alternatives, esp if you are able to cook. All the staples are well represented.
Nobody is going hungry. Fresh fruit and especially veg is really erratic though.

Not seen any rocket anywhere for a couple of weeks. Have lettuce and spinach so am hardly suffering, but I like rocket.

Today in a big ish Tesco I would estimate the salad/veg/fruit shelves were half empty. Has been similar in all places.

Also my veg/salad is going off really quickly.

Nobody is going hungry. Fresh fruit and especially veg is really erratic though.

No problem with veg here - popped into the Tesco by my dentist this morning and got a good range of veg and there was plenty on the shelves. The rest of the store seemed well stocked too.

Nobody is going hungry.
I haven't specifically heard of particular people going hungry, but it is generally adding to people's shopping bill, because you're inevitably having to buy items that are more expensive than what you would have bought had it been in stock.

Was in Aldi yesterday, and had to buy a less economical pack of bog roll than my usual, which probably works out one or two pounds dearer. No violins please.

(Point being that people are unlikely to go hungry because there's nothing to eat in the shops. But people do go hungry all the time because they run out of money.)

Fuck all bread in the co-op today with an apologetic sign. The small Tesco had stock but a limited range spread out to fill the shelves.

Went to Aldi on the weekend and again very little of their ‘plant based’ range but in general stock was a bit better than a couple of weeks ago, although different time of day (late evening then vs midday saturday)

The Sainsbury’s I visited twice over the weekend had lots of everything in. I was able to get everything on my list easily.

We're not getting significant outages here apart from carbonated drinks (I NEED own-brand Red Bull FFS, I really I NEED it!) Random shit, like no potatoes for one day, no greek yoghurts (any brand) the next.

Currently, the rules mean HGV drivers from the EU can only make up to two trips between two places in the UK within a week. But the new plan would allow overseas operators to collect and deliver goods an unlimited number of times over a fortnight before they return to their country of origin.

More interested in what the drivers and unions have to say than companies tbh. Its a typical Tory response this ie a crowd pleasing 'high skills/high wages' statement followed by a crowd pleasing 'let's save xmas' statement that undermines the former.

One participant who agreed there were shortages offered this explanation: “There’s a shortage of drivers because the industry is living in the past. Look at the way people are treated. People are leaving right away.”

The treatment of drivers came up frequently in our study, which revealed displeasure with high levels of surveillance and scrutiny. As well as tachographs, which monitor routes and journey times, many lorries have cameras fitted which film both the exterior of the vehicle and the interior of the driver’s cabin. While these devices can ensure legal driving hours are not exceeded and record accidents on the road, many felt they were used as tools of micro-management.

Despite your strenuous efforts to clear the shelves! :D
The annoying thing is they have dozens of varieties of everything, but I like none of the mustards and only two of the marinated salads - I sometimes have to buy a type I don't like and rinse the herby flavour off ...
I don't know how they can sell them so cheap - £1 for a huge jar - I must be eating a whole cucumber and 750 g of green tomatoes every day ...

Seems to have improved round here, where it was pretty crap for months. Could be down to one person taking a job driving who wasn't here before idk.

Back
Top Bottom