Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Food Shortages

I think I partly spent as much as I did because I’ve been working on ditching the “poor living” skills..

Its easy to develop a taste for expensive foods. I used to get free food when I worked running events for a non-profit. I came home with $20 bottles of wine, $18 a pound prawns, and this Guinness soaked Irish cheddar that was to die for. I've had to stop eating anything like that because it just isn't affordable for the average person, let alone someone living in poverty. Not to mention the environmental footprint of those foods.

Its easy to develop a taste for expensive foods. I used to get free food when I worked running events for a non-profit. I came home with $20 bottles of wine, $18 a pound prawns, and this Guinness soaked Irish cheddar that was to die for. I've had to stop eating anything like that because it just isn't affordable for the average person, let alone someone living in poverty. Not to mention the environmental footprint of those foods.

That all sounds great, but it was nuts and berries that made a surprising dent for me. :D

I found this on Youtube. Its a lady from Tecumseh, Nebraska who is disabled and living in Section 8 housing. Tecumseh is a town of about 1,500 and the main employer is the state prison. She details what going to the food bank is like and what you get in a box. Each box is supposed to last a month.

You'll notice that there were some things she couldn't use because she couldn't eat them. I think that's pretty normal and people who get the boxes tend to share around to others what they can't use.

Last edited:
I have just had my 4th Indian meal in almost as many weeks. 3 at a smallish chain in town and tonight's was just outside Burton. Both places have a chocolate pudding on the menu but all 4 times it was not available.

The Derby one is quite busy too I hear. I've only been once and that was years ago. They, Anoki, are on the Too Good To Go app so maybe I'll book a bag if they're still good.
There was big crowd/party in on Saturday, a rowdy one at that. We went to Burton because of the level access for the outlaws. Derby is not good on the ground floor but if you can manage the stairs it's great. Pricey though. Prices up and choices down since lock down.

Back
Top Bottom