Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Psst - anyone want to score some petrol or diesel? (Fuel shortages Sept. 2021 onwards).

I’m going to a friends in Horsham this weekend, then dentist in Reading on Monday. Petrol is going to be £80. If it wasn’t for the need to go to the Dentist (zero chance of an NHS dentist round here), I’d train back on the Sunday and the cost would be £36 with my railcard.

. . . The more fuel prices rise I think the more I would think about whether my journey is necessary but can't imagine a point at which I would say all travel is unnecessary.

That's pretty much where I am. I was limiting myself to £100 / month on fuel. Then I replaced a phone and to offset / pay for that over a sensible period of time I decided to reduce my fuel spend down to £80 / month, so "buying" the phone over 8 months

By limiting the amount I drive / driving less to eke out my fuel as its price increases (so I get less) makes sense

What I'm contemplating trying is, maybe, towards the summer, taking a months fuel spend and buying a months season ticket for the bus and cane that for a month, just "going for rides" . . . maybe

One thing I did today which may be of slight use. I spent a few mins on google map checking which supermarkets with filling stations are adjacent to motorway junctions as I needed to fill up between Reading and Exeter.

I found a Tesco at Amesbury and a Morrison’s at Wincanton both a few hundred metres from the 303, petrol approx 15 pence per litre cheaper than on the main road.

Getting scarce in Cornwall again. No diesel anywhere in Truro just now and Helston was running out last night too.

Diesel is becoming very difficult to get hold of here in Northants and it's the same in Milton Keynes.
I was running on empty but found a petrol station with diesel yesterday, but that was only on 1 pump out of 10 or so, AND it was the 'premium' stuff at £2.02 a litre :eek:
I don't drive unnecessarily, but living in a village makes it unavoidable.
I'm just glad I have the option of WAH, with no pressure at all to return to the office.

The news here is saying that there’s 230 petrol stations being fined for increasing the prices on 1st April, the day the government introduced a 20% discount on fuel. (You pay the indicated price minus 20% deducted at the cashiers’)

government here does not have the balls or will to push something like that thru here the higher the prices the more money they make.

the kick in the balls is the price went up here around 40 pence a litre during the fuel panic when their was no shortages but never came down again

so real shortages have just cause a double impact and the fuck withwits running the show thought take 5 p off when fuel has gone up around 70 p a litre in a year helps mater's

Some shortages in parts of Essex today.
No petrol or diesel at the supermarket, but the expensive esso seemed to have some.
Some idiot nearly drove into me because of it.

Our local BP has fallen from 1.82 to 1.80 over the past week. I filled up last night at the nearest Costo which is a 22 mile round trip but at 1.72 a litre it's a big enough saving (the Audi has a 75ltr tank) to go there rather than the BP which is only half a mile away.

shortages seem to be rising again.

tried 4 places in berkshire this evening, all closed by 8 pm.

my plans for the weekend may have to change - have probably got enough in the car to get to mum-tat's (although might be pushing my luck) but certainly not to get back again.

blargh.

petrol appears to be fine in most stations its the lack of diesel that causing delays
heard stories from people as close as basingstoke about diesel shortages thats more worring

got some eariler and had to wave around 3 people to pumps with unleaded and i don't work at a petrol station
just got out of my car to have a look

shortages seem to be rising again.

tried 4 places in berkshire this evening, all closed by 8 pm.

my plans for the weekend may have to change - have probably got enough in the car to get to mum-tat's (although might be pushing my luck) but certainly not to get back again.

blargh.
Yep, same in mid hants.

I took ms mx's car out today (she lives in London now and can't afford to park it, or insure it, there). Tank was v low. Found a petrol station - no diesel, only 2 of 4 petrol pumps working.

Not sure whether it's a genuine shortage or panic buying.

Reactions: Ax^
unverified anecdata:
some post I saw on facebook claiming these are due to XR blockading depots and they (the Govt) having instructed them (the press) not to report on it to avoid panic buying...
got a qurter tank-ish so OK for next week's move

unverified anecdata:
some post I saw on facebook claiming these are due to XR blockading depots and they (the Govt) having instructed them (the press) not to report on it to avoid panic buying...
got a qurter tank-ish so OK for next week's move

It's 'Just Stop Oil', a coalition of groups including XR, their actions have been going on for at least a couple of weeks, and the government hasn't instructed the media not to report it, and indeed can't, there's been plenty of coverage, it's just hasn't been the biggest story because of the war, party-gate, cost of living crisis, etc.

I expect it'll work its way up the news agenda as shortages become more widespread, panic buying sets in, it starts hitting essential workers/services and the number of empty shelves in supermarkets start increasing again.

3 places closed at lunch time today, then filled up after queue of about 10 minutes at local asda, so can now get to mum-tat's and back for the weekend, and probably enough for next work commute (office is about 50 miles away but i only go there for a couple of days every few weeks.)

press beginning to pick up on it, so would imagine full on panic buying this evening / tomorrow.

Downward trend in gasoline prices nere now. Not difficult to find gasoline in the $3.70/gallon cent range here. Diesel still very high.

I feel sorry for self employed truck drivers...

• Sad
Reactions: Ax^
Was queues and/or shortages in the three petrol stations I passed around town yesterday, so I hooned it up the motorway to the services and brimmed it at 179.9p for unleaded :eek:

Hmmm,
I'm good with my quarter tank for the coming week so will sit it out like the last one, at least I won't have to cancel a visit to the dogs this time around.
Been bussing it in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom