Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Effects - current and potential of the worlds sanctions on Russia

Smangus

comatose at a desk
Hi All

I am interested in the current and an potential effects of the sanctions on Russia financial, cultural ,sporting etc that are being imposed. It strikes me that Russia and Putin are going to be very isolated very quickly. Also how Russia will react as a society and whether this will prompt internal change or lead to more severe repression.

While I support them I'm sure there is an element of opportunism here, a chance to give Putin a good kick by the rest of the world at the first opportunity presenting itself for 20 years+

Obviously ordinary Russians will be hit hardest , this is the biggest (new) set of sanctions against a country I can remember in my lifetime and given the world is so interconnected these days seems to have the potential for greater impact than ever.

Anyway thoughts anyone?

Cheers

It’s not the first opportunity in 20 years, there was good justification in 2014 and some sanctions then which have impacted the Russian economy.

Theres a good article here from a knowledgeable (though quite trad Marxist) economist about what impact the sanctions will have.
He highlights lots of ways that the Russian state has already insulated itself from potential impacts - of course not fully

The most interesting bit of the article for me though came at the end -and is not about sanctions, but about potential spoils of war:

QUOTE: "Of course, much depends on how the war pans out. If Putin can gain control of Ukraine, that opens up significant riches to be exploited. Ukraine is rich in natural resources, particularly in mineral deposits. It possesses the world’s largest reserves of commercial-grade iron ore – 30 billion tonnes of ore, or around one-fifth of the global total. It ranks second in terms of known natural gas reserves in Europe, which today remain largely untapped. Ukraine’s mostly flat geography and high-quality soil composition make the country a big regional agricultural player. The country is the world’s fifth-largest exporter of wheat and the largest exporter of seed oils like sunflower and rapeseed. Coal mining, chemicals, mechanical products (aircraft, turbines, locomotives and tractors) and shipbuilding are also important sectors of the Ukrainian economy.

All of this remains to be fully exploited. The EU and the US have also been drooling over the prospect of getting hold of these resources. As I recently showed,1 the Ukraine government plans to sell off huge tracts of land to foreign and domestic investors to develop. That could deliver huge dividends to whichever power controls the country. Either way, once the war is over and after thousands have been killed or injured, Ukraine’s people will see little benefit."

- it does also point to some of the potential commodity resource motivations underlying this conflict.

There’s a lot of what might be termed more ‘cultural’ sanctions, stopping stuff like Netflix and Apple Pay working - not things that will mean people starve but will piss off the middle classes and young people, you can’t have nice things, might encourage some to ask why, maybe motivate protests (or resentment at the west). Curious how this will play out.

frogwoman no Idea afraid - I've no idea what's covered.

There's going to be an overlap of stuff that's not sanctioned, and stuff they either can't afford, because the exchange rate, and stuff they can't buy because no one will take the ruble, or because their bank accounts don't work.

Pretty clear the economy is tanking though...

Impacts of sanctions will go far beyond the region, some people who study global supply of wheat & grains in particular are making pretty terrifying predictions about the impacts this will have on food supply especially in poorer countries who rely on Russia & Ukraine as their suppliers of these things.

Impacts of sanctions will go far beyond the region, some people who study global supply of wheat & grains in particular are making pretty terrifying predictions about the impacts this will have on food supply especially in poorer countries who rely on Russia & Ukraine as their suppliers of these things.

Isn't this directly about the war, rather than the sanctions? Ukraine is one of the major producers of wheat. The sanctions shouldn't prevent Russian wheat reaching most of the world.

I don’t think anyone really knows what the effects of this will be on Russia and the wider world. It’s an economy bigger than Spain’s and very integrated into the EUs. And of course almost 150m people live there. In ‘normal’ times if something on this scale had happened to the Russian economy most of the west (and China?) would be pouring resources in to prevent contagion. Now we are going 75% all out.

We might be shocked and surprised by the impact once the dust settles.

its ok tho, China State owned corporations are heavily into central command ordered negotiations with a briefcase of yuan, to take over or get a huge slab in rusal and gazprom so Russian can get some cash and get the brands out of the spotlight. so not all bad news

Back
Top Bottom