Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russia; pariah state watch

This is interesting

The headline is just a symbolic thing really but if you read further on you'll see that the motion also calls for quite strong practical measures:

They include the withdrawal of support and coordination with the Russian Consulate in Edinburgh, along with an intention to write to the Russian Ambassador to advise that the Russian Consul is no longer welcome in the city.

It also calls for an expulsion by the Home Office of Russian diplomatic staff from the City of Edinburgh until the troops of Russia vacate Ukraine.

Moved by the council leader and his deputy so not some crackpot thing that stands no chance of passing.

Just complained to them

Dear Sir or Madam,

I'm writing to complain about your article referenced in the title above (Russians using Serbian loophole to avoid EU flights ban).

The tone of the article was quite prejudicial in its language. Russians aren't 'exploiting a back door', many of those coming to Europe are foreigners, including some UK citizens, and people who are fleeing Putin's regime. Many of those leaving are having to leave their entire lives behind, and it has now become illegal to take money worth more than $10,000 USD out of the country. The article should better reflect this rather than implying they are leaving for nefarious purposes.

A friend of mine is involved with a charity that has been set up to help people fleeing from Putin. You can find information on it here (in Russian) https://antiwarcommittee.info

Kind regards,

Redacted

This is interesting

The headline is just a symbolic thing really but if you read further on you'll see that the motion also calls for quite strong practical measures:

Moved by the council leader and his deputy so not some crackpot thing that stands no chance of passing.
before it all went a bit mad, the russian consulate up there was the easiest place for a brit to get a Russian visa. I have no idea why, but it they didnt seem to care massively about the supporting docs. I got a business visa from there in 2 days with less hassle i would have got for a basic tourist one in London

The BBC estimates 200,000 Russians have fled the country since the start of the war.

I imagine this is overwhelmingly going to be educated Russians with skills they can use to find employment overseas, so the blow to Russia's economy on top of sanctions is quite considerable. According to the article, it is mostly tech workers who can work remotely who have been leaving.

Heartening to hear stories of Russians opposing Putin's Invasion of Ukraine, but then you see shit like:

Impossible to know which side is the majority right now

This is a good article warning against excessive punishment of Russia.

I agree that it should be made clear that the sanctions will end as soon as Russia withdraws from Ukraine (although this won't guarantee an end to efforts to reduce dependence on Russian oil and gas, and nor should it). There is a risk of hubris and trying to use them to force regime change, which would likely have the opposite effect.

I agree that it should be made clear that the sanctions will end as soon as Russia withdraws from Ukraine (although this won't guarantee an end to efforts to reduce dependence on Russian oil and gas, and nor should it). There is a risk of hubris and trying to use them to force regime change, which would likely have the opposite effect.
I thought we were wary of Cockburn here Left-Wing Orientalism: The Curious Case of Patrick Cockburn

The complicating factor is "as soon as Russia withdraws from Ukraine". When do we think this will be?

The complicating factor is "as soon as Russia withdraws from Ukraine". When do we think this will be?

Fair enough - it may never happen. But even so, there should probably be clearly defined steps of how to end sanctions, get back on SWIFT etc, which is surely more likely to make it happen than if it the Russian elite senses that if they back down now, the west will go for the jugular.

Fair enough - it may never happen. But even so, there should probably be clearly defined steps of how to end sanctions, get back on SWIFT etc, which is surely more likely to make it happen than if it the Russian elite senses that if they back down now, the west will go for the jugular.

That’s a bit like demanding a set of numerical criteria for the end of a coronavirus lockdown, when the best answer is “when it seems like a good idea”. Otherwise you tie yourself into opening up at what might actually be a very bad time.

That’s a bit like demanding a set of numerical criteria for the end of a coronavirus lockdown, when the best answer is “when it seems like a good idea”. Otherwise you tie yourself into opening up at what might actually be a very bad time.
I don't know if it is the same - withdraw all Russian forces out of Ukraine (maybe except Crimea) and then sanctions are lifted seems fairly clear to me, and gives a clearly defined incentive for Russia to do so.

Back
Top Bottom