Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Effects - current and potential of the worlds sanctions on Russia

It isn't me who's saying it, but the Russian regime and its nationalistic supporters.

And this war was in the making even while Gorbachev was still in power.

Wow, you really are off the fucking scale in you delusion. When was it when you actually went to Russia and now feel that you are some kind of authority on the place, what year(s)? Please answer honestly, sick to death of the dishonesty from TC and DK on this issue.

Wow, you really are off the fucking scale in you delusion. When was it when you actually went to Russia and now feel that you are some kind of authority on the place, what year(s)? Please answer honestly, sick to death of the dishonesty from TC and DK on this issue.
I don't think I'm an authority on this or anything else. Everything I've said is more than obvious.

You're the one who seems to be getting delusional, and actually a bit inappropriately emotional about the subject.

And this war was in the making even while Gorbachev was still in power.

FTR I was in Russia when Gorbachev was in power, this war was not in the making at all. So that is utter crap.

Emotional? Women being raped in front of their husbands who are then murdered and their children kidnapped and taken to Russia to be brainwashed in to fascists? Yeah, that can make people with an ounce of humanity emotional.

Have a fucking word with yourself, if this place was the pub that it is often analogized to be there would be a few people searching in scratching around in the car-park's gravel for the teeth that are no longer in their mouths if they espoused those views.

FTR I was in Russia when Gorbachev was in power, this war was not in the making at all. So that is utter crap.

Emotional? Women being raped in front of their husbands who are then murdered and their children kidnapped and taken to Russia to be brainwashed in to fascists? Yeah, that can make people with an ounce of humanity emotional.

Have a fucking word with yourself, if this place was the pub that it is often analogized to be there would be a few people searching in scratching around in the car-park's gravel for the teeth that are no longer in their mouths if they espoused those views.
It was in the making when Gorbachev was in power due to Ukraine being left as an unresolved issue, even if it didn't seem to be so at the time for the tiny minority making the decisions. While deciding to declare the USSR no more, they were set to impoverish the vast majority of the ex-Soviet population by buying into the western-prescribed 'shock therapy' economics, and this made it inevitable that they would at some point be replaced, with mass support, by those who sought to bring the ensuing chaos under some kind of control, and re-assert Russian national interests as they saw them. People who are, of course, no less self-interested even while mapping out a different path for the country. However, that doesn't matter in practice, and Ukraine was never going to escape Russian attention due to a whole host of factors discussed on here before. Even had the Russian 'liberals' remained in power it's unlikely they'd have tolerated Ukraine moving towards NATO. Yeltsin and his backers, for example, didn't like the idea any more than they liked the bombing of Serbia.

It is indeed over-emotional to imply that those who point out these facts actually support rape and murder of civilians in war, and dishonest to suggest that this is unique to the war we're discussing.

And you must go a different kind of pub than me, as I've almost never heard anybody getting excited about the Ukraine war, apart from, maybe, in the early stages when the media had bigged it up into a new Hitler/ WW3 situation. As far as I can see, it's become just one more war going on in the background. Do you actually know anybody who'd be prepared to kick somebody's teeth in on a car park over Ukraine, with risk of arrest and/or retribution, or have you just got a hard-on?

Last edited:
Horrible cunt.

Maybe, maybe not. But the Ukraine war would have nothing to do with it.

Do you really know anybody who's as consumed by this war as you purport to be? Of course, as far as we can tell, it's a war now just going on in the background, like all wars in distant lands become sooner or later. Once the new Hitler scare stories were dismissed and ridiculed, most people seemed to largely forget about it even if they'd prefer, like me actually, that it wasn't happening.

... and their children kidnapped and taken to Russia to be brainwashed in to fascists?
And this is so apolitical, not to mention naive.

As if in fascist regimes people actually were 'brainwashed' (how does this work?) into being fascists, as opposed to assessing where their interests might lie in line with the present reality etc etc.

Not that the regime in Russia is fascist. It's actually closer to the kind of authoritarian nationalist regime that the west repeatedly and enthusiastically supported wherever it was seen as necessary throughout the cold war.

And this is so apolitical, not to mention naive.

As if in fascist regimes people actually were 'brainwashed' (how does this work?) into being fascists, as opposed to assessing where their interests might lie in line with the present reality etc etc.

Fucking hell, you are talking about children being abducted in terms that there's nothing so bad with that.

You’ve long ago nailed your colours, you are wrong, you are a cunt. Personal abuse but you ain’t worth any more than that. Come down my pub, The Richmond Arms in Godalming. No one will assault you, I will guarantee that, see how the day pans out for you though.

You’ve long ago nailed your colours, you are wrong, you are a cunt. Personal abuse but you ain’t worth any more than that. Come down my pub, The Richmond Arms in Godalming. No one will assault you, I will guarantee that, see how the day pans out for you though.

I assume the Richmond Arms put a Ukraine flag up from what you're saying. Until it got dirty and wet, and then somebody took it in with a view to washing it. And then it got forgotten about?

What are the other big local issues in Goldalming apart from Ukraine?

And that is all that you have.
I deleted that reply, but I do think you're over-emotional approach is inappropriate to somebody of your years.

You must have learned that the world doesn't operate in terms of goodies and baddies by now for instance?

I assume the Richmond Arms put a Ukraine flag up from what you're saying. Until it got dirty and wet, and then somebody took it in with a view to washing it. And then it got forgotten about?

What are the other big local issues in Goldalming apart from Ukraine?

Oh you went and edited like a slimeball. Accusing others of being kids.

The UK has been accused of “helping Russia pay for its war on Ukraine” by continuing to import record amounts of refined oil from countries processing Kremlin fossil fuels.

Government data analysed by the environmental news site Desmog shows that imports of refined oil from India, China and Turkey amounted to £2.2bn in 2023, the same record value as the previous year, up from £434.2m in 2021.

Russia is the largest crude oil supplier to India and China, while Turkey has become one of the biggest importers of Russian oil since the Kremlin launched its invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

This comes as Russia is increasingly targeting Ukraine’s energy infrastructure, with only a few major power plants not yet damaged or destroyed. UK politicians have been lobbying the US to approve £60bn in military aid for Ukraine, which finally passed on 20 April. The UK foreign secretary, David Cameron, has been advocating for frozen Russian assets to be deployed to Ukraine’s war effort.

In response to the 2022 invasion, allies of Ukraine pledged to divest from Russian oil and gas. The UK officially banned the import of Russian oil products from 5 December 2022. However, a loophole in the legislation has allowed Russian oil to continue to flow into the UK.

You can read the full piece by Sam Bright here:

UK ‘helping Russia pay for its war on Ukraine’ via loophole on refined oil imports

So much for an exodus of non-Russian companies from Russia...only about 20% have left/sold off

FT.png

"Moscow has gradually raised the cost of corporate departure, imposing a mandatory 50 per cent discount on assets from “unfriendly” countries sold to Russian buyers and a minimum 15 per cent “exit tax”. It has also been increasingly hard to find local buyers acceptable both to the seller and to Moscow and whose involvement does not fall foul of western sanctions."

Basically many companies are staying on and there's some amazing bullshit given as to why, on humanitarian grounds such as

“As a food and beverage company, now more than ever we must stay true to the humanitarian aspect of our business. That means we have a responsibility to continue to offer our other products in Russia,”

and

“For over 135 years, Avon has stood for women wherever they are in the world, regardless of ethnicity, nationality, age or religion,” the company said.

Full piece https://archive.ph/r5eDi

Last edited:

Twenty-seven months on, the war rages on. Far from being crippled, Russia’s economy is growing. The International Monetary Fund predicts that Russia will record economic growth of 3.2% this year. Caveats aside, that’s still more than in any of the world’s advanced economies.

“Debilitating” sanctions have not produced shortages in the shops. Russian supermarket shelves are full. True, rising prices are a problem. And not everything that used to be on sale still is - a string of Western companies exited the Russian market in protest at the invasion of Ukraine.

But many of their products still find their way into Russia through a variety of routes. If you look hard enough, you can still find American cola in Russian stores.

CEOs from Europe and America may no longer be flocking to Russia’s annual showcase economic event - but the organisers of this year’s St Petersburg International Economic Forum (once referred to as Russia’s Davos) claim that delegates from more than 130 countries and territories are taking part.

Instead of folding under the weight of Western sanctions, the Russian economy has been developing new markets in the East and the Global South.

Twenty-seven months on, the war rages on. Far from being crippled, Russia’s economy is growing. The International Monetary Fund predicts that Russia will record economic growth of 3.2% this year. Caveats aside, that’s still more than in any of the world’s advanced economies.

“Debilitating” sanctions have not produced shortages in the shops. Russian supermarket shelves are full. True, rising prices are a problem. And not everything that used to be on sale still is - a string of Western companies exited the Russian market in protest at the invasion of Ukraine.

But many of their products still find their way into Russia through a variety of routes. If you look hard enough, you can still find American cola in Russian stores.

CEOs from Europe and America may no longer be flocking to Russia’s annual showcase economic event - but the organisers of this year’s St Petersburg International Economic Forum (once referred to as Russia’s Davos) claim that delegates from more than 130 countries and territories are taking part.

Instead of folding under the weight of Western sanctions, the Russian economy has been developing new markets in the East and the Global South.
You seem to have missed the end of that article:

“Products have slowed down coming into Russia,” says Chris Weafer. “Spare parts are more difficult to access. Every day there are stories of banks in China, Turkey and the Emirates refusing to deal with Russian transactions, whether it’s money from Russia to buy goods or money going back to Russia in payment for oil or other imports. Unless this is resolved, Russia will have a financial crisis by the autumn.”

That’s why it would be wrong to conclude that Russia has beaten sanctions. Up till now it’s found ways of dealing with them, getting around them, reducing the threat from them.

But the pressure on the Russian economy from sanctions hasn’t gone away.

You seem to have missed the end of that article:
the stats speak for themselves, vague "pressure hasnt gone away" last line is BBC "balance".... the fact is sanctions have failed spectacularly, infact it has strengthened Russia and sped up their positioning as a semi-leader of the global south against the west...see what's happening in the Sahel for example. Where Russia isn't, China is. This is what inter-imperial competition looks like and they're doing pretty well at it.

Back
Top Bottom