Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Effects - current and potential of the worlds sanctions on Russia

Having no (perhaps unlike you) special access to the means of accurately assessing the effects of the sanctions, I can only see the often contradictory claims that everybody else see
And what is it you see? You can synthesise the information — how does it look to you? Sanctions — apparently having an effect based on current information or not?

I mean, this is your thread, you’re the one finding stuff to post up here, you’re the one taking an interest. With all this attention and interest you have for it, what is the sum total of it to you? Or are you just a passive, cow-like observer, with information passing in front of you but never passing through?

And what is it you see? You can synthesise the information — how does it look to you? Sanctions — apparently having an effect based on current information or not?

I mean, this is your thread, you’re the one finding stuff to post up here, you’re the one taking an interest. With all this attention and interest you have for it, what is the sum total of it to you? Or are you just a passive, cow-like observer, with information passing in front of you but never passing throug
I've already answered this above.

I've already answered this above.
No you haven’t. You suggested that one article indicates the sanctions are having an effect, tempered by an unattributed claim that these aren’t as much as other people might wish. But I’m asking for your view of the synthesis of all this information. What does it indicate to you in totality, and why?

No you haven’t. You suggested that one article indicates the sanctions are having an effect, tempered by an unattributed claim that these aren’t as much as other people might wish. But I’m asking for your view of the synthesis of all this information. What does it indicate to you in totality, and why?

I think the sanctions may be working (as some say), or they might not be having the intended effect (as some say).

Sorry I can't offer more from my hotdesk in the corner of the living room.

Historically, as an aside, the oil glut of the 80s was a significant driver in the slow inward collapse of the USSR. Oil isn’t just the preserve of the Russians, the big players have little interest in reducing benchmark oil prices .

This guy revels in his own ignorance, kabbes . There's no point arguing with him, or trying to pin him down or get him to back up. It won't happen.

When someone is smearing shit on the wall, best close the door and let them get on with it.
Where do you get your special insights (which you seem to prefer keeping close to your chest) from? Have you got the phone numbers of international heads of government and business?

Where do you get your special insights (which you seem to prefer keeping close to your chest) from? Have you got the phone numbers of international heads of government and business?

What I find weirdest about your stance on threads like this is that you seem to have a really deep faith in authority figures. They're just acting off the published work of economists, think tanks etc... Sure, they have advisors who can condense it for them to a degree. But there's no magic here. Although it is of course exactly how they want you to behave; pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

What I find weirdest about your stance on threads like this is that you seem to have a really deep faith in authority figures. They're just acting off the published work of economists, think tanks etc... Sure, they have advisors who can condense it for them to a degree. But there's no magic here. Although it is of course exactly how they want you to behave; pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
I have no faith in them, but do believe they know more about what's really going on than somebody posting on a forum from their kitchen table.

I have no faith in them, but do believe they know more about what's really going on than somebody posting on a forum from their kitchen table.

TELEMMGLPICT000305594088_2_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqxfHY8OEVaHk_uHTWtgG3trKTWHxNtw1QsnAcY1a8TbQ.jpeg

I mean, as it happens, yes. Yes I do. That’s not really the point, though. I can do my own analysis. Better that than cherry-picking media reports that you think are supporting your belief that the sanctions aren’t really working but actually support the opposite.

I mean, as it happens, yes. Yes I do. That’s not really the point, though. I can do my own analysis. Better that than cherry-picking media reports that you think are supporting your belief that the sanctions aren’t really working but actually support the opposite.
I think he was talking to me tbf, and I wasn't going to answer because he's a compulsive last-worder. But you've put it better than I could anyway so thanks :D :thumbs:

I've already said that I read the article, noted the nuances, and posted it up simply for information. You' will find that half of what I link to is actually supportive of Ukraine's position when you click on it.

I am not part of some grand design even if you are.

India said on Friday there was no pressure on it from Western countries or anywhere else over its energy purchases from Russia, as Indian firms step up imports of oil and coal from the country shunned by some governments for its invasion of Ukraine.

India, the world’s third-biggest crude importer, overtook China to become the biggest buyer of Russian oil in July based on sea-borne volumes, having bought very little from the country before the start of the war in Ukraine in February.

Also in July, Russia became India’s third-largest coal supplier, up from the sixth position historically, as discounts drove shipments to a record, Reuters reported.

The United States has tried to lure India away from its main arms supplier Russia, but New Delhi says its own needs as an emerging country are paramount. India has not condemned the invasion.

The US has expressed concern to India that it was used earlier this year to break economic sanctions imposed on Russia during a high-seas transfer of fuel made from Russian crude, according to a local central banker.

A Russian tanker on the open sea reportedly handed over oil to an Indian ship, which was then processed in India and finally exported to the United States, the deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India, Michael Patra, said on Saturday at a financial conference in the state of Odisha.

“You know there are sanctions against people who buy Russian oil. Here’s what we were told by the US Treasury Department,” Patra told his state and financial industry audience.

“An Indian ship hit upon a Russian tanker in the open sea, picked up oil, called at a port in the state of Gujarat. The oil was in processed at this port and turned into a distillate used in the manufacture of single-use plastic,” the central banker said.

The Indian ship took over the freight again, left the port and was only informed about its destination, New York, on the open sea.

“That’s how war works,” Patra summed up. He did not name the ship. The US Embassy did not comment, Reuters reported.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...083b8f44400e08#block-62f8baeb8f083b8f44400e08

Turkey’s finance minister has told businesses they should not be worried by threats of sanctions that the US has said will follow if they trade with sanctioned Russians.

US deputy secretary of the Treasury Wally Adeyemo told Turkish banks and companies in a letter that they would face secondary sanctions if they worked with sanctioned Russians.

In comments representing Turkey’s first official response, Nureddin Nebati tweeted that the letter should not “cause concern in our business circles. Turkey is one of the most important political and economic power centres in the world”.

The Nato member has tried to stay neutral in the war and refused to join the international sanctions.

Nebati said Turkey was “determined to develop our commercial relations with our neighbours in various sectors – especially tourism – within a framework that is not subject to sanctions”.

Russia has had its own report prepared on now long it will take the country to recover from the effects of sanctions and the war.

Spoiler: it's not looking good for them.

Hanna Liubakova is a Belarusian journalist who can't live safely in her homeland and is on the wanted list. She's part Ukrainian.

1662572979444.png
(3 photos show protestors being attacked by authorities in Belarus in 2020.)

Been chatting a bit recently to a trans guy who I went on a few dates with while in Russia (at that time he hadn't come out yet and was living as a woman). He can't afford to leave Russia and doesnt want to. He invited me to come and stay with him the other week. I'd actually love to, but I don't think I'll be able to go back there until Putin is dead and probably for a long time afterwards :(

He's got some interesting stuff to say about LGBT activism and the opposition in Russia, I think people were dicks to him and he got totally burned out by it :( don't want to put too much that could identify him tho.

Chatham House bloke thinks they're working:
He argues that the reality is sanctions have dealt Russia a chronic blow. It is cut off from capital markets, foreign businesses have left, Russia cannot borrow because it has a lousy credit rating, unemployment and inflation are spiking, and it simply cannot find new markets for imports.

Sanctions do also limit Russia’s room for manoeuvre in terms of its military action, especially in the future, as well as condemning Russia to a future of impoverishment and ultimately social discord domestically.

Weird this

There is still some scientific cooperation ongoing... Russia may have left ISS, but that doesn't take effect until 2024, and there are cosmonauts up there now (and there will be on all expeditions planned for 2023). China/India also among the non-EU members of ITER, so may have had a hand in keeping it moving.

Back
Top Bottom