Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine invasion memes and viral content

20230417-russian-plane-toronto-ukraine.jpg

It’s not strictly about Ukraine but you can’t go wrong with a bit of Chomsky.

I caught some clips of that recently and I thought he was catastrophically wrong and came across very badly in it on Ukraine. Maybe need to watch the whole thing but Chomsky droning on is boring, and the interviewer's annoying too.

Last edited:
Interested to know what you disagree with specifically. I find Chomsky droning on enlightening - always have.

Very hard to get a decent wifi signal in Wetherspoons toilets to access Discord gaming sites

"A source told the Sun that the files were discovered on the floor of a cubicle on what was "quite a lively night"."

Maybe he left them there after a brisk session in the toilets with a Russian embassy representative?

Toilets won the coverted British Toilet Association's Loo of the Year award , in 2018

‘Excellent facilities in general, though I was a little perturbed at the large suitcase I found in one of the cubicles. I tried to remove it but it was too heavy, and I could have sworn I heard a muffled cry as I struggled to lift it though I had, of course, been drinking’

There's a whole hidden world of clean toilets that I didn't know existed.

Tomorrows Cleaning report on the 2022 awards is a fascinating read not least for the international winner of its Toilets in Education section

I caught some clips of that recently and I thought he was catastrophically wrong and came across very badly in it on Ukraine. Maybe need to watch the whole thing but Chomsky droning on is boring, and the interviewer's annoying too.
Have to admit that interviewer was a wanker.

Interested to know what you disagree with specifically. I find Chomsky droning on enlightening - always have.
Chomsky has bought into the narrative that Russia was 'provoked' into war and that somehow NATO was looking for this war, even though Russia spent a decade doing the provoking while NATO spent a decade saying Ukraine wasn't allowed to join. And even though the material support NATO countries gave to Ukraine was after Russia had invaded and occupied parts of Ukraine (it is extremely dishonest to depict this as 'aggression' by NATO countries, when it was factually speaking about defense). All of which came after Russia had invaded and brutally occupied other territories it didn' t belong in (again, factually speaking, this was Russia/Putin being aggressive, not NATO, do you see the pattern?).

What I find most disappointing about Chomsky's take on this is that he doesn't seem to have space for the agency of Ukrainians. It's all about the fight between power blocs for him, but Ukrainians are, like, actual people, with their own opinions. He should try listening to them.

Last edited:
I listened to most of it (albeit quickly so might have missed stuff) and he basically spent what seemed to me 99% of his time moaning about the US and NATO, he paid scant attention to Russian expansionism beyond 'yes, terrible invasion' but then in his next breath is back to expounding at length about Iraq, NATO, etc. It seems he just cannot bring himself to give the most attention to what is happening now, and totally underplays any role for people in Ukraine beyond being poor pawns of NATO. He has nothing politically or practically to offer to people in Ukraine, or Russia come to that, beyond negotiate - how exactly this is supposed to happen is vague.

Last edited:
Chomsky has bought into the narrative that Russia was 'provoked' into war and that somehow NATO was looking for this war, even though Russia spent a decade doing the provoking while NATO spent a decade saying Ukraine wasn't allowed to join. And even though the material support NATO countries gave to Ukraine was after Russia had invaded and occupied parts of Ukraine (it is extremely dishonest to depict this as 'aggression' by NATO countries, when it was factually speaking about defense). All of which came after Russia had invaded and brutally occupied other territories it didn' t belong in (again, factually speaking, this was Russia/Putin being aggressive, not NATO, do you see the pattern?).

What I find most disappointing about Chomsky's take on this is that he doesn't seem to have space for the agency of Ukrainians. It's all about the fight between power blocs for him, but Ukrainians are, like, actual people, with their own opinions. He should try listening to them.
Also, this kind of stuff minimising the brutality of the occupation:

783CE6F8-6E25-4917-88D1-92C059223CFD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom