Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

we all know he is, but is too much of a coward to say so.

Indeed, although on this occasion he has responded to my question with this reply...

,,,which is probably the only time he was replied with a point, to the endless reasonable replies and questions that he has been asked over the last couple of years.

No doubt he will be back with more off topic fly-by posts over the weekend, as it's his MO.

Have you paid attention to their contributions on this thread?

Most have come across as somewhat iffy, to say the least, today's contribution, combined with their post yesterday suggesting Putin didn't want complete of control of Ukraine, when that's exactly what Putin himself said he wanted, from the start of all this, demonstrates a level of ignorance and stupidly that beggars belief. Make idiotic posts, expect to be called out as an eejit.

As for their post above, I certainly didn't report it, I reacted with a 'haha', because they probably thought they were being original in messing about with my username, but at least two other newbies beat them to it, neither of which lasted long on here, hence me finding their post funny.
You are a cheeky cunt though tbf. You come over on this thread as a mouthy twat who likes to give it out to anyone who strays from the party line. You love a bit of sneering and making the oh so fucking hilarious NATO gag, knowing you'll garner a few likes along the way but with nothing to give in the way of actual decent content.

I wouldn't mind so much but you've got fuck all to offer; no decent analysis; no in depth knowledge - just rehashed comment from various websites and snide asides about posters. Childish little digs, knowing you'll have the backing of a biased mod.

Excellent work again btw editor.

Like lots of posters, I read the thread for info and analysis. Give over with your bullshit cupid, unless you've got something to add. Otherwise you're just noise.

Is it me or has this thread just become a few posters arguing with each other? Would it be possible to set up a thread for them to continue to argue on, so this thread can once again feature content that's related to the thread title? Seriously though, I used to learn so much through this thread, now it's basically just a flame war for a select few.

Or does someone just need to start a new thread that's actually about the war in Ukraine?

Is it me or has this thread just become a few posters arguing with each other? Would it be possible to set up a thread for them to continue to argue on, so this thread can once again feature content that's related to the thread title? Seriously though, I used to learn so much through this thread, now it's basically just a flame war for a select few.

Or does someone just need to start a new thread that's actually about the war in Ukraine?
I fear that, even if a new thread were started, it wouldn't be long before it was infested with people "just asking questions" and pointedly failing to respond to any cogent points made to them yet again.

There are plenty of people on here whose views I don't agree with, but who seem to be able to express them without resorting to evasion and arsery. Then there are those who appear not to be able to manage that.

I fear that, even if a new thread were started, it wouldn't be long before it was infested with people "just asking questions" and pointedly failing to respond to any cogent points made to them yet again.

There are plenty of people on here whose views I don't agree with, but who seem to be able to express them without resorting to evasion and arsery. Then there are those who appear not to be able to manage that.

Sorry, but even that feels like a discussion of the people rather than the topic. Could we not just discuss the actual topic, and leave people completely out of it?

Sorry, but even that feels like a discussion of the people rather than the topic. Could we not just discuss the actual topic, and leave people completely out of it?
I think the people need to leave THEMSELVES out of it. If someone comes here and makes a post about the topic, and all they get is grief back in return, it's pretty damn hard to keep it topical. I got pretty sick of being labelled a "warmonger" or similar, just because I'd posted something about what was going on, and indicated some kind of support for Ukraine. 🤷‍♂️

maybe becasue everyone has realised its a stalemate and theyre fighting out the war on here instead

I think the people need to leave THEMSELVES out of it. If someone comes here and makes a post about the topic, and all they get is grief back in return, it's pretty damn hard to keep it topical. I got pretty sick of being labelled a "warmonger" or similar, just because I'd posted something about what was going on, and indicated some kind of support for Ukraine.
🤷‍♂️
I think we need to set the example. Ignore the people trying to make it about themselves and other people, and keep it about the thread topic.

maybe becasue everyone has realised its a stalemate and theyre fighting out the war on here instead
So can they have a thread to do that on with each other, whilst this thread stays on topic? The war clearly isn't a stalemate, there are many factors at play, and things still seem to be changing.

I think we need to set the example. Ignore the people trying to make it about themselves and other people, and keep it about the thread topic.

So can they have a thread to do that on with each other, whilst this thread stays on topic? The war clearly isn't a stalemate, there are many factors at play, and things still seem to be changing.

Very much agree with this. The discussion needs some buy in about self moderation of the thread. There have been some good contributions on here , some good discussions and unfortunately some of the worst personal abuse which seems to have become a sport for some.

because hes not a wanker. like them.

Nah, they're not wankers but it's a topic that wouldn't be at all polarized here if it wasn't for you him.

I've stayed out of it because I consider you both mates and don't want to fight you, despite the fact that I think you're chatting bollocks! :D

Generally speaking, I'm now only reading Kebabking on this thread and whoever he's responding to.

On another tangent, that pizda Putin banned words including the Russian equivalent of cunt from Russian media a decade ago

Now Putin has decided to take on the Russian language—in particular, its florid and flexible lexicon of profanity, known as mat. On Monday, Putin signed legislation that has been floating around the Duma for years: as of July 1st, there will be no swearing in movies and theatrical productions or from the concert stage. You won’t read it in your local family newspaper, but the law centers on the four pillars of mat: there is khuy (“cock”), pizda (“cunt”), ebat’ (“to fuck”), and blyad (“whore”).
He's a dickhead. Putin huilo.

Mostly, I do. Every so often, my frustration exceeds my restraint.
Good luck getting that to happen!

Without wanting - as some are happy to do - to categorise people into "us" and "them", it's inevitable that in the face of provocation, people will find it harder to restrain themselves from getting personal. And I absolutely include myself in that, with no great pride. Not to mention that, for different people, "getting personal" will look very different - there are those who will regard mere disagreement as offensive.

OK, lets 'ave a bit of stuff about the topic of the thread, shall we ?

Picked up info that a few days ago, UKR damaged more ships from the Black Sea flotilla.
IIRC, the "landing ships" classes had 13 ships in the BSF in Feb 2022, the currently "serviceable" total is five.
The problem Russia has is that, culturally and organisationally, they're essentially a "top down" operation. Innovation in the ranks isn't really something the system deals with. It reminds me a lot of when I moved from working in IT in the private sector to doing a very different job in the public sector - all of a sudden, individual motivation to make things better suddenly became a Bad Thing.

There's no doubt that the Russian military has adapted, and learned some lessons from the more agile Ukrainian approach to battle, but even now it's clearly reactive rather than proactive. Ultimately, there's a pretty good chance that sheer mass will prevail, but I don't think that even Putin's most ardent fans can argue that his system is inherently better, with its brute force approach to war that takes no account of individual lives and suffering, than the more Western approach being taken in Ukraine.

And, arguably, a lot of why Russia is where it is today is rooted in the generational trauma and pain that its previous wars have inflicted on its own population, from Stalin's Great Patriotic War through Afghanistan, to Russia's various military adventures in its own provinces. Europe, largely, was able to move on from WWII - Russia still seems to be repetitively and endlessly fighting the same battles it was fighting 80+ years ago.

Mostly, I do. Every so often, my frustration exceeds my restraint.

Good luck getting that to happen!

Without wanting - as some are happy to do - to categorise people into "us" and "them", it's inevitable that in the face of provocation, people will find it harder to restrain themselves from getting personal. And I absolutely include myself in that, with no great pride. Not to mention that, for different people, "getting personal" will look very different - there are those who will regard mere disagreement as offensive.
Just. Stop. Please. It may be that the only person that cares about what you're saying is you.

I've no idea what you think is "supposed" to happen here on Urban, but it seems hopelessly idealistic to me.
I remember a time when Urban was about idealism. I'd like to think it still is.

At the very least, could those of you that enjoy spending your time criticising other individuals via the internet not have a thread to do that on, whilst those of us that want to discuss an actual topic have a thread to do that on too? It's not like bandwidth is an issue any more.

Needs to be a Russia/Ukraine fantasy fight club thread where opposing sides can let it all out to their hearts content.

Either that or meet in a carpark and get it sorted.

I didn't think Russia was planning to attack more Eastern European countries but Putin denying it plants a seed of doubt

"We have no aggressive intentions towards these states," Putin said, according to a Kremlin transcript released on Thursday.
"The idea that we will attack some other country - Poland, the Baltic States, and the Czechs are also being scared - is complete nonsense. It's just drivel."

From 9 Feb. 2022:

Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova on Wednesday said Russia doesn’t plan to invade Ukraine and blamed the US for "aggressive plans."
The hype around Russia’s hypothetical invasion of Ukraine is similar to what was happening in the US media in the early 2000s, before the US and its allies started the military operation in Iraq, she said. Then, lots of reports were stoking tensions, including on television, the diplomat said. "That looks very much like this false narrative regarding Ukraine now and some ‘aggressive plans,’" she said. "We don’t have these aggressive plans, but I have a feeling that the US has."

"We learn from US newspapers that we will attack Ukraine," Zakharova said. "That’s even as we believe we and that country are a people that has a common history."
She said it was "absurd" to say Russia nurtured any aggressive plans about Ukraine.

Last edited:
danilov has been sacked from his position of head of the national security and defence council. could it be because of his comments on the moscow terrorist attack?

hypothetical plans to attack Ukraine's :hmm:

odd to quote a press release from before the invasion of Ukraine

Back
Top Bottom