Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

i think we know now why the americans always precede their invasions with a spot of shock and awe. i wonder how much special recon's been going on, whether russia managed to infiltrate special forces to act as forward observers and guide attacks etc

And even then there were a few operational setbacks which meant the most optimistic timetable didnt come to pass. It didnt change the end result though, and some later stages around Baghdad went better than the USA envisaged.

Swift is a distraction, countries need to stop buying their gas.

In WWI we kept selling grain to Germany because we thought getting their hard currency payments would help win the war more than starving them would.

It strikes me that Putin may be staking more than he even bargained for, here. The assumption was that he would take Ukraine easily and then bargain from a position of power, and give cause to other nations to beware the Russian bear. So the discussion surrounded his endgame and what would and would not be possible for him to get out of it. The downside seemed to be that his gains wouldn't compensate for the impact of sanctions and political pariah-hood, but that's about it.

Well, what if his military actually fails to achieve its goal? Not just that he doesn't get as much as he wanted but is actually beaten back? Something I doubt he even considered possible, because it didn't seem possible. Rather than cowing the other countries on the border, they will sense weakness. A weakened Russia, not just militarily but also in terms of power-mystique and with no friends in the world. How many other grudges will come out to play at that point?

I'm not suggesting this is likely -- my guess is still that Ukraine can't hold out indefinitely. But once again, the way things have actually played out -- so far, even -- has reminded us not to ignore potential scenarios just because they seem impossible.

Remember this one? It was a thing, in the 1990s, that what Russia needed was a Pinochet. A view shared by Mrs. Putin's boy.

Well, I hope all those people who urged a Pinochet solution on Russia are proud of themselves. I hope they're happy.

(Story is about a German TV show that interviewed VP when he was a deputy mayor in St. Petersburg)

DoSYf5TW0AYy5JC.jpg

If you think Russian failures are accepted losses as part of some optimistic probing scenario you're in cloud cuckoo land.

I see our analysis is worlds apart, as it was in the pandemic. Please consider not bothering engaging with me on this so that we dont annoy everyone else with endless bickering. I will do the same in return if you agree. If not, then so be it.

Because as far as I'm concerned, cloud cuckoo land is planning for a war without any deadly setbacks being involved. And I dont think either of us have access to the detail of all scenarios and missions that Russia planned for. But the scale of forces they built up in advance of this conflict, and things like their military hospital planning, does not imply that they expected to roll into Kyiv virtually unopposed in a day or two, although they would also have been stupid not to test the feasibility of that possibility at all.

Can someone do an idiot-proof explanation please:
What are these British troops and boats and things for ? What are they supposed to be doing there, will they just be hanging around being symbolically nearby as a gesture?

Screenshot 2022-02-26 at 12.50.43.png

It strikes me that Putin may be staking more than he even bargained for, here. The assumption was that he would take Ukraine easily and then bargain from a position of power, and give cause to other nations to beware the Russian bear. So the discussion surrounded his endgame and what would and would not be possible for him to get out of it. The downside seemed to be that his gains wouldn't compensate for the impact of sanctions and political pariah-hood, but that's about it.

Well, what if his military actually fails to achieve its goal? Not just that he doesn't get as much as he wanted but is actually beaten back? Something I doubt he even considered possible, because it didn't seem possible. Rather than cowing the other countries on the border, they will sense weakness. A weakened Russia, not just militarily but also in terms of power-mystique and with no friends in the world. How many other grudges will come out to play at that point?

I'm not suggesting this is likely -- my guess is still that Ukraine can't hold out indefinitely. But once again, the way things have actually played out -- so far, even -- has reminded us not to ignore potential scenarios just because they seem impossible.

Yeah there is always risk involved, and by going for this war Putin has at the very least given his opponents at home and away the opportunity to smell potential political doom for him.

As my other posts demonstrate, I dont think very much has happened yet that gives me any real indication about whether this ugly war will fully blow up in his face. It would be great if it did, it would be the best outcome.

Might prevent WW3.
i don't know there's an obvious successor. frankly putin's going to leave something of a vacuum and in the face of a possible defeat or long-term involvement in ukraine you don't know who might step to the front next. Smokeandsteam said the best thing would be the russians topple putin. but that'd be step one of a civil war, i think. as it is i suspect there'll be unrest in the middle east and north africa and anywhere else that relies on food imports from ukraine. and that might take on a momentum of its own. the one thing that's certain is that the effects of what's happened so far are going to play out far and wide over years more likely than months.

You would assume correctly.

Not just AWACS but a lot of SIGINT platforms too plus rotating 24/7 tanker packages up with armed CAP, B52s. Then of course there are Mentor/Orion, Trumpet, ...
View attachment 311929
Presumably this is what the Naval shenanigans west of Ireland are about? ‘We’ having limited AWACS capacity which is spread thinner by having to have some out over the Atlantic, plus other ongoing critical tasking…

Can someone do an idiot-proof explanation please:
What are these British troops and boats and things for ? What are they supposed to be doing there, will they just be hanging around being symbolically nearby as a gesture?

View attachment 311942

Basically just showing support to other eastern European countries, basically a bit of theatre.

Yeah there is always risk involved, and by going for this war Putin has at the very least given his opponents at home and away the opportunity to smell potential political doom for him.

As my other posts demonstrate, I dont think very much has happened yet that gives me any real indication about whether this ugly war will fully blow up in his face. It would be great if it did, it would be the best outcome.
imagine if you will a russian nixon or reagan taking over from putin. that wouldn't be much of an improvement.

Take it with a pinch of a salt but here's someone who thinks they have a line into Putin's bunker, and it's not going well:

Reading the rest of the tweets in that thread I think they have rather over-egged that particular piece of propaganda. I'd like to believe it but some of the detail hardly rings true, at least not beyond the basic reality that if resistance can continue for a prolonged period, problems for Russia will start to mount up.

Does look like Russia has taken Melitopol, in the SE, their flag is flying from the main police station.

I try to avoid posting links to long videos but if you have quarter of an hour I think this is one of the best and balanced perspectives on the military situation I have seen yet. And a few gags too.

Literally no one outside Russia other than his cronies thinks this can possibly go well for him, even regardless of the current military situation. If he'd restricted himself to Donbas and Luhansk it might have been a different matter.

Unroll of the Twitter THREAD 1/7 Intel from a Ukrainian officer about a meeting in Putin’s lair in Urals.

Back
Top Bottom