Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

You can but when your only contribution to the discussion is “wow America is ramping up this war” or “god Zelensky is escalating this he should just negotiate” or “look at what the Ukrainians are up to” without any comment on the many many Russian crimes or antics it starts to look a bit iffy
If we apply a 'for balance' criteria to posts on this thread most would fail tbh. Its the discussion that should draw the balance out.

You can but when your only contribution to the discussion is “wow America is ramping up this war” or “god Zelensky is escalating this he should just negotiate” or “look at what the Ukrainians are up to” without any comment on the many many Russian crimes or antics it starts to look a bit iffy
we all know that war is politics carried out by other means, so at some point there will have to be a political solution to this. it may be like korea, where the two states remain technically at war, it may end in an actual peace treaty. but zelensky and indeed putin (or future heads of the ukrainian and russian states) will have to come to an accord.

Yeah well we don’t agree. I think it’s worse than dogshit for people who posed as being left wing for years getting behind the US, NATO and the EU in this conflict.

What should the world have done?

Sat back and let Putin take Ukraine, then the Baltic states, Finland, Poland, Czech republic? How far would you have let him go before thinking that maybe the EU might need to stop him?

Do you really believe Putin would have stopped at the border with Poland?

Who would you suggest could have supported the Ukraine in their fight?

The US has done some very dodgy shit...we know this. They are also the only other superpower prepared to "fight for democracy" even if that democracy is flawed and imperfect. It still beats the shit lives that many Russians lead unable to voice opinions or vote out a homidicidal maniacal leader.

What should the world have done?

Sat back and let Putin take Ukraine, then the Baltic states, Finland, Poland, Czech republic? How far would you have let him go before thinking that maybe the EU might need to stop him?

Do you really believe Putin would have stopped at the border with Poland?

Who would you suggest could have supported the Ukraine in their fight?

The US has done some very dodgy shit...we know this. They are also the only other superpower prepared to "fight for democracy" even if that democracy is flawed and imperfect. It still beats the shit lives that many Russians lead unable to voice opinions or vote out a homidicidal maniacal leader.
Most of the world don’t support the US.

Poland joined NATO in 1999. The Baltic states in 2004. What other NATO expansion was there up to Russian borders in the run up to Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Finland joined NATO as a result of this invasion, not as a cause.

Russia has the right to continue to pillage and treat its subject states and former members of the Warsaw pact as much as it likes and anything else is western aggression especially if those state say they aren’t interested in it any more

It’s a proxy war. You know this.

I agree with plenty of left wing commentators that that doesn't explain what's going on completely at all.

And given there's no absolute and clear definition of what a proxy war is we could argue either way. But that doesn't negate what else is happening, unless you use proxy as a lazy comfort blanket to ignore the actual events and Ukraine's (and Poland's etc.) wishes and aims in all this. Not to mention Russia's, unless you think their 'security concerns' are legitimate and grounds for all this?

I mean I get it's a nice thing to throw about but it doesn't explain the complexities of the situation really, nor what people in Ukraine should actually have done or do.

Last edited:
They expanded NATO up to Russian borders. They wanted a fight.
I like your wording that suggests NATO somehow infiltrated eastern European countries and forced them to join. Rather than that they were still terrified of Russia and desperate for some security.
I happen to think that it was a mistake to allow the Baltics into NATO, but that's because they're indefensible and not because they aren't democracies who wanted security.

Back
Top Bottom