Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

If we go from 1939 instead, then the USSR annexed in their entirety 4 sovereign states, annexed parts of 6 others, occupied for varying lengths of time all or part of another 7, invaded 4 directly and was militarily involved in at least one other war. Indirectly the USSR was involved in supporting participants in wars and civil wars all over the globe, in a similar way to the USA, in some cases with a degree of moral high ground, in others not. Since the fall of the USSR, Russia has sent troops and paramilitaries into several of its neighbours as well as other hostile actions (e.g cyber attacks, poisonings). Wagner mercenaries have been involved in numerous conflicts, in Africa in particular.

Russia May not be as bad as the USA in total, but they're hardly a shining example of bunch of peaceniks.

You sort are always putting Britain down per capita we've invaded and occupied far more places than the USA and Russia put together.

I really don't like the expression of the US as global policeman, it's just naked neoimperialism.... the notion it's imposing rules based order is both nonsense and a massive figleaf.

The same can be said Metropolitan Police who are an actual police force. Maybe, you need to have a more realistic view of what the role of a police force is.

Two alleged former Wagner commanders admit war crimes

CNN cannot independently verify their claims or identities in the videos but has obtained Russian penal documents showing they were released on presidential pardon in September and August of 2022.

Uldarov, who appears to have been drinking, details how he shot and killed a five- or six-year-old girl

You sort are always putting Britain down per capita we've invaded and occupied far more places than the USA and Russia put together.

Not since 1945; which I believe was belboid's proposal and I'm not sure what you mean by per capita.

The UK has been comparatively very well behaved.

Last edited:
Really? Can you list them?

I have Russia well ahead.
It depends on how you define military intervention I guess. A quick scan through here suggests over 50 countries where the US has had boots on the ground, or conducted airstrikes since '45. I didn't bother counting things like troops supporting civilian evacuation or embassy support, and there's a good few countries that they did more than once.

Well behaved since 1945 apart from in: Aden, Cyprus, Palestine, Iraq, Iran, Greece, Afghanistan, Vietnam ( before the Americans) Malaya, etc.

Your “etc” is doing a lot of work there.

Now list the US and Russia, and see how close you can get to your “more than the USA and Russia put together”.

It depends on how you define military intervention I guess. A quick scan through here suggests over 50 countries where the US has had boots on the ground, or conducted airstrikes since '45. I didn't bother counting things like troops supporting civilian evacuation or embassy support, and there's a good few countries that they did more than once.

Given the United States has more than a thousand overseas military bases you might like to recount the countries where they have military boots on the ground as 50 or seems to me an underestimate

Given the United States has more than a thousand overseas military bases you might like to recount the countries where they have military boots on the ground as 50 or seems to me an underestimate
1000 is "more than 50" :)

I was also trying to sift out ones where they were just chilling, compared to where they were actively being nasty to the locals. Either way, I think that they've been a bit more interventionist than Russia in this period.

Loads of whataboutery going on here.

“We shouldn’t support Ukraine because Iraq happened” has been a staple of the #bothsides #warisbad #justaskingquestions side since the war broke out and indeed before it.

Amazingly you can both decry US imperialism and hope that Ukraine is able to fight off the state with a track record of murdering people by the bucket load and deploying nerve agents on civilian targets

Russia's ability to attack other countries has historically been limited by its geography, largely land locked, few ports which can be used all year round, vast distances internally, often crap weather.

Post WW2 it's main effort was to maintain the new status quo, i.e new boundaries, Warsaw Pact. Still shite regime, but not really expansionist.

Post USSR Putin's Russia wants to recreate that old status quo.

Back
Top Bottom