Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

They appear to be describing a new type of weapon, that is a nuclear missile that remains in orbit until needed. Do we know if these exist or not?
No one has admitted to orbiting Fractional Orbital Bombardment System (FOBS), though the Soviets did deploy a system for such (R-36O) in the 70s, eventually withdrawing it in the 80s under SALT II. FOBS is technically not compatible with the Outer Space Treaty (1967).

No one has admitted to orbiting Fractional Orbital Bombardment System (FOBS), though the Soviets did deploy a system for such (R-36O) in the 70s, eventually withdrawing it in the 80s under SALT II. FOBS is technically not compatible with the Outer Space Treaty (1967).
You say no one has admitted to but it would surely be fairly obvious and require some maintenance?

Communications satellite
Communications sattelites are maintained by other robot sattelites (when they are maintained at all). We keep being told nuclear weapons need regular maintenance (hence all the confidence about Russia's not working) which would presumably need human technicians.

Communications sattelites are maintained by other robot sattelites (when they are maintained at all). We keep being told nuclear weapons need regular maintenance (hence all the confidence about Russia's not working) which would presumably need human technicians.
FOBS designs don't put warheads on orbit for years. The idea is to launch hours/days/weeks ahead of time with the hardware sitting on the ground for months/years where it can be periodically serviced (every N years).

(I wouldn't be confident that it doesn't work. I'd be confident that it doesn't function 100%, just like any other complex engineering project, which is something quite different).

I think every fucking politician with their hands on our future should be forced to make that journey so they understand how rare our planet is.
I’m pretty sure that by the time every influential politician on this planet had made a trip to space, there would be no habitable planet left to care about. We’re going to need a plan that doesn’t involve sending 10 million rockets to space, basically.

I’m pretty sure that by the time every influential politician on this planet had made a trip to space, there would be no habitable planet left to care about. We’re going to need a plan that doesn’t involve sending 10 million rockets to space, basically.
Space shuttles had a payload of 29,000kg. Allowing a mean weight of 90kg means at least 320 politicians per trip. The shuttles themselves are reusable and all the politicians really need is to be dropped off in orbit.

Space shuttles had a payload of 29,000kg. Allowing a mean weight of 90kg means at least 320 politicians per trip. The shuttles themselves are reusable and all the politicians really need is to be dropped off in orbit.
How many politicians, though? Across 7 or 8 billion people, that’s a lot of politicians. Even if it’s only 1 politician per 1000 people*, you’re still going to need over 20,000 rockets (or rocket trips, if you must) at full payload.

But ming’s post that I was actually responding to wasn’t about dumping politicians in space, it was about taking them to space and then bringing them home again, hopefully more enlightened about the need for climate controls as a result of their experience. So that isn’t taking them as payload, it’s taking them passengers. At 3 passengers per rocket, you’re now up to more like 2.5 million rocket trips.

And that just deals with today’s politicians. Over time, you’re going to need to induct the new ones. Four cycles already gets you to 10 million rockets.

An environmentally damaging way to teach about the environment!

*and by the time you’ve dealt with all the people that have the influence we’re talking about, I’m pretty sure we must be in the ballpark at 1 in 1000.

How many politicians, though? Across 7 or 8 billion people, that’s a lot of politicians. Even if it’s only 1 politician per 1000 people*, you’re still going to need over 20,000 rockets (or rocket trips, if you must) at full payload.

But ming’s post that I was actually responding to wasn’t about dumping politicians in space, it was about taking them to space and then bringing them home again, hopefully more enlightened about the need for climate controls as a result of their experience. So that isn’t taking them as payload, it’s taking them passengers. At 3 passengers per rocket, you’re now up to more like 2.5 million rocket trips. An environmentally damaging way to teach about the environment!

*and by the time you’ve dealt with all the people that have the influence we’re talking about, I’m pretty sure we must be in the ballpark at 1 in 1000.
I suppose we could start with a swim in the mid Atlantic to learn about pollution. Survivors to be dropped off in orbit.

FOBS designs don't put warheads on orbit for years. The idea is to launch hours/days/weeks ahead of time with the hardware sitting on the ground for months/years where it can be periodically serviced (every N years).

(I wouldn't be confident that it doesn't work. I'd be confident that it doesn't function 100%, just like any other complex engineering project, which is something quite different).

Something like this…

Rather depressed reading the ISW report [for 27th Oct 2022] this morning.
Seems that the speech Putin made at the Valdai Discussion Club on October 27 has been doubling down on his rejection of Ukraine being a sovereign nation. He is now claiming that Ukraine is a NATO vassal !

I can't remember if I posted about this already ...

I was at a recruitment / jobs fair a few days ago.
A couple of other groups represented were military units. [Territorial Army] discussion revealed that not only have the rat packs greatly improved from when I was in the ROC, but they've been training with Ukrainians on modern MLRS systems recently ...

...but they've been training with Ukrainians on modern MLRS systems recently ...

It seemed a very sensible thing to do - the regular army trains GMLRS operaters at 14Regt RA, and everyone has either come from phase one training, or from another part of the RA or wider Army. A bright young thing suggested that as the Ukrainians weren't going to be coming from that route, then the training at 14RA might not fit very well - while the reservists train people who've effectively walked in off the street. The reserve units tend not to be overly fastidious about including all the crap that no one will ever need, as well as a culture of ruthlessly cutting out anything that isn't vital in order to fit the training into into training nights and weekends.

They have been amazing.

But ming’s post that I was actually responding to wasn’t about dumping politicians in space, it was about taking them to space and then bringing them home again, hopefully more enlightened about the need for climate controls as a result of their experience. So that isn’t taking them as payload, it’s taking them passengers. At 3 passengers per rocket, you’re now up to more like 2.5 million rocket trips.

And that just deals with today’s politicians. Over time, you’re going to need to induct the new ones. Four cycles already gets you to 10 million rockets.

An environmentally damaging way to teach about the environment!

Also a major drawback is that instead of contemplating the vast emptiness of space, you'll see thousands of rockets flying about all over the place. Oh, wait, isn't that Brian who used to be cabinet member for housing on West Dorset district council? Hey! Brian! This is exciting isn't it? What are you up to these days?

Also a major drawback is that instead of contemplating the vast emptiness of space, you'll see thousands of rockets flying about all over the place. Oh, wait, isn't that Brian who used to be cabinet member for housing on West Dorset district council? Hey! Brian! This is exciting isn't it? What are you up to these days?
I just double checked that WDDC actually has a housing department :hmm:

THERE IS NO WEST DORSET DISTRICT COUNCIL ANY MORE!1!11!1

Housing is under the purview of the successor unitary authority, Dorset Council...

No wonder they sent that fantasist Brian into orbit :rolleyes:

I just double checked that WDDC actually has a housing department :hmm:

THERE IS NO WEST DORSET DISTRICT COUNCIL ANY MORE!1!11!1

Housing is under the purview of the successor unitary authority, Dorset Council...

No wonder they sent that fantasist Brian into orbit :rolleyes:
Suppose there might be money in the town twinning budget but would necessitate new road signs

Blandford. Twined with Beetlejuice

Sounds like the meat grinder is really firing up at Bakhmut, Russian throwing everything at it, heavy artillery and wave after wave of troops. Guess that's why they need to mobilize so many. They must be desperate for a win, but I wonder what it will be like for them if despite all this they don't manage to take it?

So they've pulled out of the grain deal, but do they still have the means to attack the ships anyway?

(I know the answer is probably "yes", but let's pretend.)

Back
Top Bottom