Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

If Russia does start flinging nukes, there's a good possibility that this could be the delivery route....

Mind you, with the state of their logistics, and their pretty appalling record on losing kit, there's every chance that Ukraine could easily end up owning a lot of them. Range 37km, so not quite outside the HIMARS envelope...

If Russia does start flinging nukes, there's a good possibility that this could be the delivery route....

Mind you, with the state of their logistics, and their pretty appalling record on losing kit, there's every chance that Ukraine could easily end up owning a lot of them. Range 37km, so not quite outside the HIMARS envelope...
Well as I’m pretty sure UA is getting plenty of real time satellite intel the HIMARS will be busy.

Gunmen have killed 11 people in an attack at a Russian military training ground on Saturday.
During a firearms training session, two men opened fire on a group who had volunteered to fight in Ukraine, state-owned news agency Ria reported.
The attackers were from a former Soviet republic, the Russian defence ministry said, but did not give further details.
They were also shot dead during the incident in the Belgorod region of Russia, which borders Ukraine.

i can well imagine the Dnipro river becoming the defacto border between the annexed land in Kherson region and sovereign ukraine

View attachment 347058

View attachment 347059

*that would mean Russia abandoning the claim to the town of Kherson on the north bank but ba
Can we just pay Iran to not ship?
No, not after leading them a merry dance on various nuclear arrangements, withholding billions of their own money for years on end, cheating them out of basic goods and services, and creating/profiting a situation with the Pahlavis that led to the Iranian Revolution in the first place.

It would've been really wise to have brought Iran (and its people) in from the cold, but it's probably about a decade too late for that, or for any favours to be done by Tehran on behalf of the west, for many more years. I first went there at the turn of the millennium, and it seemed to me to be an ideal time for a productive reset, and the population largely receptive. Not any more.

Their growing closeness with Russia was avoidable. It's entirely situational. The two have nothing in common, and some interests and objectives that seriously clash, but Iran hasn't been given any other option over the last couple of decades - it has taken friendship where it can. Unlike Russia, Iran has often been directly threatened and compromised by western countries, its population misunderstood and monstered while being oppressed by a government that can always itself claim to enough of its people (with some justification) that they had no other choices but those they've made. Who knows where we'd all be now with a different approach.

Iran, and Iranians (and one or two other countries in the wider region) have always given me the very strong sense that they could liberalize unbelievably quickly if given the space to, and probably in some very exciting ways not yet guessed at. The comparison I always make is with Spain and Portugal, that both went from ultra Catholic dictatorships to two of the most progressive countries, and almost nobody would've believed that likely before it happened.

Last edited:
Gross. And of course the Ukrainophobic hammer and sickle twats are loving it.
Just read he was only 16 at the time but have no idea if it's true. (Red-browns are saying he was 24.)

Anti Semitism is a global phenomenon, not a specifically Ukrainian one. Coincidentally, The Guardian has an article today on aliyah since February. Over 13,000 Ukrainian Jews have fled Ukraine. The unexpected part from the perspective of immigration/assimilation agencies was that during the same period, 26,000 Russian Jews have fled Russia - estimated to be 1 in every 8 Jews that were Russian residents at the beginning of this year.

People are complicated. Better that those who are/were raised to be racist or sectarian change their views as they age, and are allowed the space to move on from their earlier mistakes, than have everything dredged up, picked over, and always be pulled back into the orbit of their previous foolishness - not least if they were basically just a kid at the time of the offence.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw that as well. “Edgy” not how I’d describe them either. Downright anti semitic.
Gross. And of course the Ukrainophobic hammer and sickle twats are loving it.
Just read he was only 16 at the time but have no idea if it's true. (Red-browns are saying he was 24.)
Think he is 24 yrs old now and the tweets were 2020 so 22 yrs at the time and allegedly living in the U.K. The most disappointing aspect for me is the number of NAFO supporters saying ‘we all make mistakes let’s move on ‘ .

Back
Top Bottom