Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

oh dear this is very unfortunate

I’ve just seen an extremely upsetting photojournalist report on Bucha and if these are the guys that did it I hope they died roaring the cunts.

I’ll not link it here. It’s too graphic but Eliot Higgins has retweeted it on his timeline if you are interested. It was on Yahoo, I was not expecting that…

I really need to set aside a weekend to watch some classic Westerns.
Why stop at one weekend, fistful of dollars, few dollars more, good bad and ugly, outlaw josey wales, django, high plains drifter, wild bunch, once upon a time in the west, true grit (both versions), unforgiven, pat garrett and billy the kid, the shootist, blazing saddles - that's a bloody good three day event especially if you order in pizzas. I'd add the quick and the dead too. But back to the bloody war

E2a now you mention it I'm going to watch them all again in a couple of weekends

Why stop at one weekend, fistful of dollars, few dollars more, good bad and ugly, outlaw josey wales, django, high plains drifter, wild bunch, once upon a time in the west, true grit (both versions), unforgiven, pat garrett and billy the kid, the shootist, blazing saddles - that's a bloody good three day event especially if you order in pizzas. I'd add the quick and the dead too. But back to the bloody war

Back in the day I'd just walk up the road and ask the lass at the video shop for the whole bunch. Now it's like guessing at what streaming service is likely to have what.
We haven't moved forwards. Thanks for the recommendations, though. I turned away from Westerns some time ago (I'd read "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" and couldn't stomach a lot of them), but there are some great films there.

And yeah, back to the subject at hand.

Back in the day I'd just walk up the road and ask the lass at the video shop for the whole bunch. Now it's like guessing at what streaming service is likely to have what.
We haven't moved forwards. Thanks for the recommendations, though. I turned away from Westerns some time ago (I'd read "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" and couldn't stomach a lot of them), but there are some great films there.

And yeah, back to the subject at hand.
Have you read Dee brown's wondrous times on the frontier?

Naah that’s the cretins going on about freedom b communism. The eu is a significant factor in this, them trying to impose the deep and comprehensive free trade agreement. That, pushed thru by the corrupt pro-eu oligarch poroshenko, saw yet another round of massive cuts and sell offs (guess who to!). Zelensky promised to renegotiate but completely failed which was why his popularity had fallen the floor.

The eu kill people for profit too, they just don’t use tanks to do it.

Are you saying allowing traders in different countries to trade freely is the same as killing people?

But ukrainian businesses and capitalists have probably been almost entirely shut down. War isn’t a win for capitalism.
It really depends on what sector you're in and what position you have. It seems to me we‘re living in an age of disaster capitalism. Or an age were profiting from disaster is more acceptable even if you lobbied to create the disaster in the first place and positioned yourself before to profit from it. It’s probably been the same for a long time though.

boom time for the arms industry and real life situations to hone their products. go long death stocks
Yes, when Biden promises another hundred million or more in weapons for the Ukranian forces, those millions go to the US arms industry. And I suspect some of the weapons being supplied to them are on a buy now on credit and pay later basis.

Seems a bit too much of a coincidence to me, hopefully there will be more fires, indicating something unexpected is going on.
Obviously we can't know if there's any connection here, but...

"As many as five Russian military enlistment offices have been set on fire since the start of the invasion of Ukraine, independent Russian media reported Thursday.

The latest incident took place in the remote Mordovia region Monday, according to the 7x7 news website. Molotov cocktails destroyed several computers and a database of conscripts in the Zubova Polyana settlement."

5 Russian Enlistment Offices Hit By Arson Attacks – Reports - The Moscow Times

Yes, when Biden promises another hundred million or more in weapons for the Ukranian forces, those millions go to the US arms industry. And I suspect some of the weapons being supplied to them are on a buy now on credit and pay later basis.
Thing is when you consider just one F35 single seat fighter jet goes for about 100 million quid, you realise the stuff being sent to Ukraine right now wont make the slightest impression on the US military/industrial thang

But ukrainian businesses and capitalists have probably been almost entirely shut down. War isn’t a win for capitalism.
The economy isn't in good shape but no businesses and capitalists haven't been almost entirely shut down . The biggest impact is In the East and South where the fighting and shelling is .
Another snapshot of the impact the war is having on business activity came from the American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) in its recent survey of CEOs and top executives of its members in Ukraine.

Just 41% those companies are still fully operational in Ukraine, 29% have been forced to relocate within the country, and 19% have been forced to temporarily move their firms outside Ukraine.

The survey showed that 40% of AmCham members have had to implement cost-cutting measures as a result of the war and more than half said they had to adapt their business models.

There are, however, signs that economic activity in the capital, Kyiv, is recovering after Russia changed its military strategy to focus on capturing eastern Ukraine.

Ukraine's central bank noted this week that life was returning to normal in the greater Kyiv region, as electricity consumption remains stable and demand for train tickets on the state railway system has returned.

As for the notion 'war isn't a win for capitalism' , it is for some including the banks. Wonder what the interest will be on this "The IMF and World Bank have already approved more than $2 billion (€1.84 billion) in loans to Kyiv since Russia's invasion began on February 24, while the World Bank said last week that it's preparing nearly $1.5 billion in extra funds to allow essential Ukrainian government services to continue."

I'd have thought it really foolish to build a nuclear facility in a densely populated area, surely when you're down the way from Chernobyl you'd think about mitigating such risks (general nuclear ones, that is)

It's not exactly densely populated, the only town anywhere near is Yuzhnoukrains'k, which was founded at the same time as the nuclear power plant in 1976 to house the workers.

I suppose if, as we're now promised, nuclear war consists of nice friendly airbursts and the ground isn't poisoned for centuries we*'ll still have a load of blown up nuclear power stations to deal with.

*those of us that aren't dead obviously

not confirmed yet - but Ukrainian military reports have proven to be pretty reliable so far . They do seem to be very "lucky" with taking out the russian top brass. In a "NATO passing on hi value tracking info" kind of way.

Two Russian generals killed near Kherson – Ukrainian ministry of defence​

Two Russian generals have been killed near Kherson, the Ukrainian ministry of defence’s intelligence directorate has said. Another is in critical condition.

The Ukrainian military on Friday hit the command post of Russia’s 49th army near occupied regional capital Kherson, according to the statement.
Russia-Ukraine war: two Russian generals killed near Kherson, says Ukraine; missiles strike residential buildings in Odesa – live

Back
Top Bottom