Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

The resources are valuable for sure. The Ukrainian people see little personal benefit from them currently and I very much doubt they'll see anything in the future, unless they use this conflict to organise and fight for a better society afterwards. We didn't get the NHS post war because Nye Bevan was such a lovely chap, but because the ruling class were scared of our potential. There had been de-mob mutinies, even wartime strikes in core industries; pretty much all the working class had been weapons trained and there was mood for serious change.

This fucking over of the lower classes for resources isn't unique to Ukraine. What benefit did you get from North Sea oil and gas?

However life will be an awful lot shitter for Ukrainian people (and Russian people) should Russia win this and they still won't get what's theirs when it comes to the value of the resources they sit on.
100%
Weekly Worker, ffs.
Michael Roberts is worth a read

A post war Ukraine will be heaving with money but it will come at a price for the working class with an agenda that pushes labour and collective rights further and further backwards.
EU are lining up the rebuilding funds
“It's essentially an appeal to the EU, to all of the donors that are going to be giving this money to Ukraine, for the renewal and rebuilding so that they don't go cheap on us that they actually invest in the greening of the planet,” she said. ... “There must be a precondition to all of the money that is going to be given to Ukraine … that there is an environmental and climate change element to it,” she said. “That we're giving you all of this money, but you can only buy the green technology.”

....sounds great, though i wonder what the strings will be. Selling off state assets is traditional

“It's essentially an appeal to the EU, to all of the donors that are going to be giving this money to Ukraine, for the renewal and rebuilding so that they don't go cheap on us that they actually invest in the greening of the planet,” she said. ... “There must be a precondition to all of the money that is going to be given to Ukraine … that there is an environmental and climate change element to it,” she said. “That we're giving you all of this money, but you can only buy the green technology.”

....sounds great, though i wonder what the strings will be. Selling off state assets is traditional
Who will sell this green tech?

This is proper down the rabbit hole stuff sorry, Putin didn't start a war because of EU rebuilding funds. This would required both him and Zelensky to be in on the conspiracy as well.
Absolutely he didn’t, but he was very probably encouraged by their excessive demands and the opposition to that restructuring, to the extent that he probably believed that troops would actually be welcomed in in the places that would be totally fucked over - places like Kharkiv.

I posted this up earlier on this thread. Its an example of, in this case, the UK government giving advice to Ukraine on selling anti labour legislation. Slide 5 gives some subtle hints on how any opposition could be framed

Naah that’s the cretins going on about freedom b communism. The eu is a significant factor in this, them trying to impose the deep and comprehensive free trade agreement. That, pushed thru by the corrupt pro-eu oligarch poroshenko, saw yet another round of massive cuts and sell offs (guess who to!). Zelensky promised to renegotiate but completely failed which was why his popularity had fallen the floor.

The eu kill people for profit too, they just don’t use tanks to do it.

Hmm I’m sure most Polish people wouldn’t mind if their country was out of the EU and had the same relationship to Russia that Belorus has. I mean it's pretty irrelevant whose sphere of influence a country is in because all capitalist murdering pidgogs are just the same. :facepalm:

Hmm I’m sure most Polish people wouldn’t mind if their country was out of the EU and had the same relationship to Russia that Belorus has. I mean it's pretty irrelevant whose sphere of influence a country is in because all capitalist murdering pidgogs are just the same. :facepalm:
Silly little boy. Being a ‘significant factor’ is different to being exactly the same. If contradictory things happening is too confusing for you, we’ll, that’s your problem, not mine.

Silly little boy. Being a ‘significant factor’ is different to being exactly the same. If contradictory things happening is too confusing for you, we’ll, that’s your problem, not mine.

We weren't talking about "factors in the conflict" but whether the Ukrainian people would be better off under one regime than another from a economic POV.

If you can't understand how an EU-oriented government would lead to a better standard of living for ordinary Ukrainians compared to being under Putin then what's the point?

I think the silliness of that has nowt to do with politics or economics and everything to do with the pathological hatred that Poles have of Russians.

We weren't talking about "factors in the conflict" but whether the Ukrainian people would be better off under one regime than another from a economic POV.

If you can't understand how an EU-oriented government would lead to a better standard of living for ordinary Ukrainians compared to being under Putin then what's the point?
If we are talking purely about standard of living, well, for those in the east they very very probably would be better off under Putin than under the eu. The restructuring plan imposed by the imf in the nineties was an absolute disaster for people, wages plummeted, jobs and services destroyed. Ukraine was second only to Belarus for being a basket case. And the eu plan was essentially a rerun of that.

Of course any new eu plan won’t require that initial economic destruction any more, but it will still impose restrictions on workers’ rights.

If we are talking purely about standard of living, well, for those in the east they very very probably would be better off under Putin than under the eu. The restructuring plan imposed by the imf in the nineties was an absolute disaster for people, wages plummeted, jobs and services destroyed. Ukraine was second only to Belarus for being a basket case. And the eu plan was essentially a rerun of that.

Of course any new eu plan won’t require that initial economic destruction any more, but it will still impose restrictions on workers’ rights.

Oh shit, I bet they're really worried now about the 48-hour working week looming over them.

:eek: are you fucking serious? Have you ever been to Russia?
Massively varied from city to city and town to town with some - where there are major industries and tourism - doing, comparatively, okay and many being awful, like Doncaster post-Threads.

Donetsk and Sevastopol would have been in a much better position than, say, Khartsyzk which would have been left to rot.

"A lot of dead Russians were apparently riding in unarmoured vehicles that came under fire...."

I suspect it's badly worded, why would someone describe dead bodies as 'riding in', rather than being 'carried in'?

More likely, "A lot of killed Russians had apparently been riding in unarmoured vehicles that came under fire...."

Back
Top Bottom